Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet music.

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

Default Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

For those of you crossing over to the dark side... I've attached an updated Accordion Index of public domain titles.

The newly uploaded title "Addio Amore" originated as a mandoin trio published and composed by M.V. Cardilli. The story of how the mandolin music made it into the accordion repertoire can be encapsulated by just this title alone. That's why I've written the book on Italian Mandolin Heroes because they were deeply committed to the development of the accordion, too.
    Take note that before 1937 (and the launching of the American Accordion Association) accordion sheet music was written with a double treble clef. (UGH!) but that not all publishers went along with the idea. Case in point: Cardilli published "Addio Amore" in 1944 with double treble clefs. Still, if you're a guitarist or an accordionist, you can write chord symbols above the top treble clef. Et Voilà!

For those of you using an accordion in your mando trios, many are composed in the same keys as the original mandolin music but not always.

Please use the folder accordion sheet music link posted in Post #408

This one's for you Mick!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Accordion_Index_Updated_8.10.2018.pdf  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandopops View Post
    Sheri & David, as of now my plan is to be there. Got my hotel booked, still need to register. I hope to meet & play with you both. Maybe do an open mic? Looking forward to Sheri’s lecture.
    Long live Italian Mandolin aficionados,
    Joe B
    That's gonna be a highlight!

See y'all soon.

I'd like to share a subsection to my chapter on Maestro Pietro Tesio. He is the star of the book. I had no idea what I would find in my exploration of Italian mandolin music publishers but he left a huge paper trail and I followed it all the way. He led nothing short of an astonishing life. This section, as integrated into the Tesio chapter, shows an intimate glimpse into his phenomenal mind and irrepressible enthusiasm for life. He is, by far, the quintessential hero in my upcoming "Italian Mandolin Heroes in America."
    (Yes, I'll let you all know when that happens). It is an enormous undertaking with about 140 images, and 20 chapters. I may have created a monster but it's a big beautiful monster and I can't wait to share Tesio and all the other wonderful mandolin publishers. You just won't believe the stories I've discovered.

see attached PDF
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tesio's Trip To Dante City.pdf  

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

I'm happy to say that I can share with you a set of questions about all the sheet music you've been downloading. There are no trick questions here. Consider it a Jeopardy! challenge.Fun-filled teasers for musicians who'll appreciate and learn a little about the men (99%) behind the mandolin publishing, composing, and performing. It is meant to entice you further into the world of ballo liscio if you haven't already wondered about who the heck they were...they were alot like us!

I sent this to a select few friends over the weekend and decided that everyone should have a chance to play Jeopardy! I'll take category 1!

Sheri~

p.s. I will neither confirm or deny any answers that may be offered. Perhaps I will reveal some at CMSA convention.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails QUIZ-BOOK.pdf  

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Bonus question: I don't know how I left this question off the quiz. DUH! Please add:

41. Which Italian music publisher became a registered member of the Communist Party?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    For those of you crossing over to the dark side... I've attached an updated Accordion Index of public domain titles.
    Please use the folder accordion sheet music link posted in Post #408

This one's for you Mick!
    Thanks, Sher!

Indeed, I am crossing over.....no turning back now, I am hooked on squeezing.

It is indeed a thrill to be playing some of the same songs on both mandolin and fisa. It is helping me get a deeper insight into the music.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

I've uploaded "La Schiava Turca"--it is now a complete trio so you can trust the guitar part and not the lousy chord symbols. It is stored with the Di Bella titles in this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6v7xfftvf...67_YzZ_ga?dl=0

Attached is an updated Index of all the publishers' folders.

This is Canoro in his prime! If you like "Tra Veglia" you'll fall in love with La Schiava.

How's everyone doing with my book's trivia quiz? I've expanded it to 42 questions.
    Have fun! as attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_9.18.2018_1P.pdf   QUIZ-BOOK.pdf  

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

IIf you like "Tra Veglia" you'll fall in love with La Schiava.
    I'm ready for love, Sher. Ready to dive in.

I love playing Tra Veglia almost as much for the mando fingering as for the killer rhythm and melody quirks. Now that I've (almost) got it down on fisa, I'm in heaven, though I'm finding the timing of the Trio is trickier for me on accordion than mandolin.

Looking forward to learning La Turca....I'll leave "la schiava" out for the time being, dedicated Beto supporter that I am...;-)

What a treat! Grazie mille!

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	468px-Parmigianino_-_La_schiava_turca.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	171234  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

15. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

"La Schiava Turca" is as mysterious as the sitter but it may not refer to that famous portrait. Canoro's use of the harmonic minor and the syncopated rhythm render it so much more interesting and fun to play. If Canoro did have a major role in the co-authorship of Tra Veglia, this mazurka written several years later has a distinct flavor reminiscent of the 1913 mazurka but La Schiava Turca delivers so much more. It's in 4 parts--most unusal.

"La Schiava Turca" is an (Neapolitan?) expression, if I recall correctly, refering to a woman who may be having an illicit affair with your husband--obviously a derogatory term. She is a 'kept woman' --mistress on the side situation--she gets the trinkets, jewelry etc and is on call. Evidently, the mafioso were known to have them. Did Tony Soprano have one? hmmm, I think he did.

Anyway, we don't know what Canoro was thinking when he composed this? is the woman of refinement or a woman of ill repute? play it and tell me what you think!

Audio file of Luigi Giorno (mandolin) and Tony Colangelo (guitar)
    Philadelphia parlor. c. 1954 reel to reel--it's rough in the beginning but worth listening to while reading along with the sheet music.

Let's play it in Santa Rosa jam session @ CMSA.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mandophile; Sep-19-2018 at 10:54pm. Reason: added clarification

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandophile View Post
    let's play it in santa rosa jam session @ cmsa.
    ok!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Hi!

Taking advantage of the opportunity, it would be possible to post the directory of mp3 archives again? the one that has the recordings of Vicari and others?

Thanks

21. The following members say thank you to Jairo Ramos for this post:

ITALIAN AUDIO RECORDINGS FOLDER

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9zhxeekpy...Zb9lDzWUa?dl=0

The above link takes you to the audio recordings. It will include yesterday's upload of "Artist's Festival" and "La Schiava Turca"
    I had time to correct the personnel on the Canoro mazurka--it is a trio, not a duo.
    If you download the attached INDEX --alphabetized by title in PDF of recordings, you'll be able to use that as a guide. Due to limitations, you'll see a 'key' at the bottom of the Index so you can determine who was playing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Audio_Recordings_Index.pdf  

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

I'll be presenting my workshop-slide show on the Italian mandolin music publishers at CMSA on Friday, November 9, 2018 @ 1:45 to 3:00P in the Garden room. Hope you'll join me. Also, Gus Garelick is presenting a workshop on Italian dance music as well @ 10A Saturday. Sounds like the Italians will be well-represented at the convention. See you then.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Also, Gus Garelick is presenting a workshop on Italian dance music as well @ 10A Saturday. Sounds like the Italians will be well-represented at the convention. See you then.
    Gus Garelick, as in the guy from the Hot Frittatas? cool

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9zhxeekpy...Zb9lDzWUa?dl=0

Italian Audio file link will take you to a new recording of Professor Luigi Tutela's "Fiume e Zara." Italian hope crushed, not just once, but twice. First, after WW1, then during the February 1947 Paris Peace Treaty which stole more territories away from Italy. They lost so much, including the precious deep port of Fiume. It would take another 8-9 years before the whole mess resulted in a massive forced exile of even more Italian refugees--pushed out of their homes on the Istrian coast, especially, Trieste & Rovigna (where Papa Gianni of Caffe Trieste fame) resided.
    This is a recording of yet another Irredentist title from the post-traumatic WW1 (1921) performed in February 1947. Italians did not forget what was done to them (again!). A small trio sat in the hall at the Parish of the Holy Rosary: Luigi Giorno (M1) Joe Grosso (M2) and Tony Colangelo (G). The Royal Italian flag hung and the regional banners provided little comfort to the Italian families who sat in their chairs with tears in their eyes. The musicians strummed the sad news on their musical instruments while the world watched.

28. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

CHANGED: Italian mandolin music publishers at CMSA on Friday, November 9, 2018 @ 10:00A to 11:15A in the FLAMINGO room.

30. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Gus Garelick, as in the guy from the Hot Frittatas? cool
    Of the amazing tremolo...... Hopefully (for those lucky enough to be present) Gus pulls off his version of "Speranze Perdute".

Mick

BTW I found this book to be exceptionally informative about the post WW1 negotiations and boundary realignments. Many of which led directly to WW2 and the Balkan wars in the 1990s. Fascinating book.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 9.34.14 PM.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	171503  

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Yes, that's a good book. I had to read and brush up with quite a few before I could even begin research. I was fascinated by Gertrude Slaughter's eyewitness account. This wound festered until the poet-rabblerouser D'Annunzio took charge and captured it. What a story! and you're right, Fiume fumes(!) for the next three decades and is still a tender topic among Italians. Viva Fiume! see attached PDF for her account
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Significance_of_Fiume_Gertrude_Slaughter_1919.pdf  

I'm pleased to announce that a recent discovery in Wilmington, DL has yielded more than a dozen new titles from the De Stefano music catalog. "Angelina" mazurka will be a great addition. It is a jaunty little mazurka and it is unusual in that the tripartite structure is ignored in favor of a nice diversion to "e" minor which concludes in G, and a reprise of the A and B sections to the Fine.
    Keeping in mind that reprises mean the A and B section are played once only. De Stefano writes out the "A" section rather than have the musician read thru the first section again but they are identical
    Section A = D maj
    Section B = A maj
    Section C = G maj followed by an 8-bar section in e minor.
    Reprise: ABA

A big thank you goes out to the great great nephew of G. De Stefano (and a direct descendant of Joseph Milano, a brother of Basil Milano. Basil Milano's sister Grace married De Stefano. Basil was a formidable composer and arranger who collaborated with his brother-in-law. Joseph's son Giovanni (John) founded his own music store in Wilmington, DL. The cover sheet shows the Milano music store stamp. This mazurka was named for one of Joseph's daughters, Angelina Amanda Adelina Milano.

Updated Index attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_10.3.2018_9P.pdf  

35. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

I'm pleased to announce that a recent discovery in Wilmington, DL has yielded more than a dozen new titles from the De Stefano music catalog. "Angelina" mazurka will be a great addition..
    I just tried to access the G De Stefano dropbox and it returned a "the folder is empty" message.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i5c9sesbl...pmFWQoraa?dl=0

this is the De Stefano mandolin trio folder. I hope it works for you now.
    sorry for the inconvenience.

38. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i5c9sesbl...pmFWQoraa?dl=0

this is the De Stefano mandolin trio folder. I hope it works for you now.
    sorry for the inconvenience.
    No problem works fine!

Kudos to Todd Milano for going thru his family archives and finding this wonderful Mazurka Angelina---!!!
    composed by his great great uncle, and to Sheri for adding it to the DeStefano dropbox. ! It was one of my grandfather Luigi Giorno's favorites.!
    While I have many of the DeStefsno pieces, this was one of the few that did not survive.
    So happy to see it again. !
    Hope to see more rare DeStefano pieces. They bring back so many dear memories...

As a Philadelphian Maestro DeStefano and Maestro Basile Milano and their brilliant compositions have always held a special place in my heart!!! Such elaborate and beautiful introductions--- No mean feat to render with either mandolin or violin.
    Maestro DeSefano was truly in a class by himself---classical, Victorian, and Italian all at the same time.!!!

It was always a joy to visit his store at 521 S 8th St with my grandfather as a child in the 1960s travelling from Germantown to "downtown as we called that neighborhood on the edge of Center City and South Philly.

Mille Grazie---- also to Sheri for posting my grandfather's recording of Fiume e Zara March and for explaining it so well.!

Such an important piece musically and historically as well.
    A quintessential Italian Irredentist composition.
    Long live Professor Tutela for composing it and Maestro Canoro for the arrangement !
    I hope that I come across more of these rare gems in my collection as well !

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Musicapralis704 For This Useful Post:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kntmcad0c...bEsgEsZwa?dl=0

The above link is to a new folder. DE STEFANO ORCHESTRAL PARTS
    Before De Stefano entered the world of mandolin trios, he and his brother-in-law Basil Milano worked the ballroom circuits, high society hotels, resorts, and gala events in the wealthy homes of Philadelphia and elsewhere. I've uploaded only three titles. They are the earliest ones dating back to about 1892. These aren't yet complete as I haven't had time to create a new Index and don't have sufficient time to devote but it's a start.
    If you are a conductor of a mandolin orchestra or any kind of small (about 14 musicians), you will find parts for: flute, cornet 1 & 2 (some in Bb, some in A), viola, drums etc. 1. Il Veusvio quadrille 2. La Visione D'Amore 3. Midnight Excursion.

43. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

MISC FOLDER
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/co16hc6i5...3y9iXmSla?dl=0

I was cruising through this folder of odds and ends and had forgotten how many priceless, rare copies were uploaded.
    Sgallari's 'Parfumee' which I got from Professor Pasquale Gianuario. It is dedicated to Professor Francesco Tentarelli (editor of mandolin journal as well) who was only 18 when he first visited Manhattan and hung out with Pietro Tesio who published his "Dante" title. Here's Sgallari's dedication: "All 'Egregio e distincto collega in arte." ... to Prof. Tentarelli 'my prestigious and distinguished colleague in the arts'.
    It shows the proverbial six-degrees of separation between the older mando and younger mando generation.

While you visit this miscellaneous folder, if you have never downloaded, you should as there are also arrangements and compositions by Gioè and others--with really minor (read: little known) music publishers whom I will bring to light in my Mandolin Heroes book.

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post: