Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet music.

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

Default Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    M.V. Cardilli m557c Sogno Beato waltz C C F N. Bufaletti 1917 Trio
    M.V. Cardilli m590c La Civettuola polka C a F Alf. Anelli 1919 piano
    M.V. Cardilli m640c Notte Andalusa waltz spagn d F D A. Stroncone 1920 piano
    M.V. Cardilli m550c Sogni Dorati mazurka a C F Felice de Matteo 1917 Trio

UPDATED INDEX REFLECTING THESE ADDITIONS

MORE ON THE WAY~ Stay Tuned!
    p.s. While Cardilli published Notte Andalusa for piano, it existed as a mandolin trio and was first premiered at the Chicago Mandolin Club in 1898. Now if we could just locate the mando trio arrangement!

Also, note that we only had a fragment of De Matteo's Sogni Dorati published by De Stefano but now we have the complete trio as published by Cardilli. This is a perfect time to note that no matter how much of a fragment exists, it needs to be identified so as to have the most complete archive and to understand how these composers promoted themselves (or were taken advantage of---depending--)
    My mistake here, Sogni Dorati was never published by De Stefano; rather, I had mis-categorized the sample by placing it in the De Stefano folder. That waltz is only published by Cardilli!

2. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Happy New Year!! We hit gold here! six complete precious and rare Gaetano Leone titles. 4 are Angelo Geluso and 1 by Leone himself.
    These were found in a steamer trunk in Philly. As always, an updated accurate Index is attached here. These titles are in the MISC folder. Here is the link to view and to download.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/co16hc6i5...3y9iXmSla?dl=0

G. Leone #1 Per Cominciare waltz G C F A. Geluso 1918 Trio
    G. Leone #23 Italy's Day march C C F d Luigi D'Amico 1919 Trio Arr by Geluso
    G. Leone #7 Elena mazurka D A G Gaetano Leone 1918 Trio
    G. Leone # 2 Delizie Di Maggio waltz D D G A. Geluso 1918 Trio
    G. Leone #31 A Volo Di Farfalla mazurka D A G A. Geluso 1919 Trio
    G. Leone #25 Trento E Trieste march D A D G A. Geluso 1919 Trio
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_1.10.2018_11A.pdf  

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

http://www.vanderbiltcupraces.com/bl...ty_near_hicksv

Just wanted y'all to see that my book is coming along nicely. This link will take you to an excerpt from one of the chapters. Pietro Tesio was the earliest Italian mandolin music publisher in Manhattan. A true Renaissance man! This will give you a little insight into his creative imagination and the sheet music I've made available--for free--through all the music publishers' separate folders.
    Next month, the Italian American Review (out of the Calandra Institute, CUNY) will publish "Dante City" in its winter issue. All of this is leading to the ultimate goal--the publication of my book on Italian mandolin publishers.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Thanks, Sheri! I'm looking forward to your next book. I really enjoyed MLS and often pull it out to re-read sections or to check notes somewhere in it.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

8. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ninN...LVRAqTTlraAENe

I thought you'd enjoy hearing my old mandolin ensemble when we were playing together on a regular basis. My friend Ralph videotaped us at accordion meetings and elsewhere. Many of the dances are available as sheet music in my Mandolin Melodies book.
    This should keep you interested in this great music. I'm hoping to have an upload of new titles soon but enjoy these oldies but goodies!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Good to hear those
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

I appreciate your listening and apologize for Ralph's shaky hands (he was in his early 80s). He suffered with tremors but did eventually get a tripod. What's nice is the enthusiastic reception by club members and guests at the Italian festival who truly appreciated the talented mandolinists who have helped preserve and sustain the ballo liscio tradition. This repertoire requires as much finger dexterity, consistent tremolos, graceful nuances, melodic phrasing, and rhythmic complexity associated with the classical genre. Kudos to Matt, Theresa, Iona, Kathy, Janice and to guitarist Tom Romero who lives up to his last name. We all worked like an Olympic team!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin in Hand1 - Copy.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	165020

I'll be debuting my slide show titled "Italian Mandolin Heroes in America" and based on my upcoming book by the same name. It will take place at Redwood Cafe in Cotati, California. See the Mando Cafe calendar for March 4, 2018. I will show slides of the mandolinists and publishers who shaped the dance genre beginning with Philadelphia, concentrating on Manhattan where there were at least a dozen, then to Providence, RI and concluding with the San Francisco Bay Area. My overview will reveal the complex evolution of the mandolin literature as it was absorbed into the accordion music catalogs. It is a fascinating story that will introduce what you will read about in the book. How the mandolin arrived on these shores and its journey to California is not to be missed. Until the book is published (soon, I hope) this will satisfy your appetite and then some. Thank you, Sheri

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

To answer your questions, yes, there will be vintage mandolin recordings of specific titles from the Drop Box. Some of these recordings date back more than 50+ years. They will include titles from the De Stefano folder, Cardilli, Di Bella, Tesio, Pagani etc. I intend to include some vintage piano rolls as well to accompany the slides.
    Yes, there are plans to videotape the presentation and upload it to my YouTube channel. I do hope to have all this accomplished. It is a labor of love but since so many visitors to Mando Cafe have been waiting with such patience, I hope this multi-media slide show will satisfy those who want to see and to hear--for the first--time these wonderful talented men (and a woman!).
    If you're flying in, please let me know as CA mass transportation is not what it should be and I'll be glad to help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Italian_Mandolin_flier.jpeg 
Views:	72 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	165076  

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zElk...3vf1Z33Q2FxPUj

I've just uploaded a first draft of my slide show presentation on my YouTube Channel. There is no audio with it. I just wanted you all to see what I'm covering in the book and in the slide show. It's not perfect yet and I hope to add audio to the video but that will have to wait. The slide show debuts on March 4, 2018 at Redwood Cafe in Cotati, CA and I will have vintage historic mandolin recordings and 1920s piano rolls of some of the music. If you can't attend for the slide show, here's a pretty good overview of what I will cover. The video is only 5 minutes. Let me know what you think. (Obviously, I could not cover every composer in the book but I'm highlighting its content).

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

https://media.krcb.org/podcasts/sono...dolinHeros.mp3

5-minute interview on KRCB, an NPR affiliate in Rohnert Park, Sonoma County, with Stephen Melcher promoting the upcoming slide show at Redwood Cafe.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

https://media.krcb.org/podcasts/sono...dolinHeros.mp3

5-minute interview on KRCB, an NPR affiliate in Rohnert Park, Sonoma County, with Stephen Melcher promoting the upcoming slide show at Redwood Cafe.
    Good stuff, Sheri. The radio host seems to "get it" which means the listeners will, too. I hope you have a good crowd turn up for the presentation. (I love the hand drawn maps!) Wish I could be there. Please report back on how things went.

Looking forward to the the book.....

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

22. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Thanks to all those who came last night for the slide presentation. It was great to hear everyone's questions and I enjoyed talking to a fully engaged audience. I attach a photo of each of the Italian mandolin publishers' sheet music on display last night along with my Antonio Grauso mandolin. Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1655.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	165621  

24. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Thanks to all those who came last night for the slide presentation. It was great to hear everyone's questions and I enjoyed talking to a fully engaged audience. I attach a photo of each of the Italian mandolin publishers' sheet music on display last night along with my Antonio Grauso mandolin. Enjoy!
    Sorry I couldn't get out of town, I'd have loved to have been able to attend.

26. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

I'm in the process of editing the slide show video to add closed captioning etc. Please stand by. If you intend to view the slide show, it may be unavailable until further notice. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you, Sheri

28. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZABM2zfGH88
    REVISED "Italian Mandolin Heroes In America" The story of Italian music publishers and the ballo liscio tradition.

I added closed captioning with some descriptive narrative. It's my first time doing this so I apologize for a lack of synchronized slides. If you view this 5-minute slide show, I strong suggest that you have the pause button handy so you can stop the fast-paced presentation. Thank you for your patience and for your enthusiasm! Sheri

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

It should be noted that none of these publishers exist today, nor do the music stores.
    While O. Di Bella is in business selling musical instruments in New Jersey, they do not sell 100 year old sheet music from the original Di Bella collection. However, there is a possibility that a second edition might become available at some point. Right now, scanned copies of the public domain sheet music in the separate folders is the only way you can own this sheet music. Sometimes you can buy originals on eBay, New York flea markets, and during a special festival like San Gennaro or perhaps a dusty old store. Other than that, you just can't waltz in and buy something.
    In addition, any of the stores I mentioned in the "Italian Mandolin Heroes in America" video (and the book--when it becomes available) no longer sell sheet music. For example, A. Cavalli in North Beach, San Francisco is just a coffee house. They last time I bought sheet music or music related items was in the late 1980s. When you see the "A.Cavalli" stamp on some of the uploaded sheet music, it means I bought it there. When you see Boston's "Tosi Music Co." stamp on the title page, it was purchased many decades ago when it was open.
    I hope that helps everyone to understand that this sheet music is precious and we are fortunate to have it. I did not upload to any other public domain site because they charge $ or there are requirements to access. I would like to reiterate my gratitude to Mandolin Cafe and to Scott for his commitment to making this available worldwide! Naturally, if there are questions, PM me at Mando Cafe. Thank you, Sheri

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

I hope that helps everyone to understand that this sheet music is precious and we are fortunate to have it. I did not upload to any other public domain site because they charge $ or there are requirements to access. I would like to reiterate my gratitude to Mandolin Cafe and to Scott for his commitment to making this available worldwide! Naturally, if there are questions, PM me at Mando Cafe. Thank you, Sheri
    And thanks to you for helping make this music available.

34. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

The Easter Bunny is coming soon with lots of colorful eggs. I hope you're ready to download.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Sheri, as always, as ALWAYS, thanks for this and all your work of love keeping this music available and alive. I'm giving a lecture-concert for the Italian Dept. of the University of Massachusetts, specifically for an Italian-American culture class, in a few weeks, and this information is invaluable. I can't wait for the book. A quick question, do you know when Pietro Tesio arrived in New York?
    Last edited by Christopher Stetson; Mar-27-2018 at 8:44pm.

38. The following members say thank you to Christopher Stetson for this post:

Everything uploaded is brand new (well a couple are uploaded already but under different publishers).
    A small batch but with a clean, complete Araby march! and a brand new, rather obscure polka by Silvestri. I was unable to find it in any Italian library archives. It may be that it was only published in the States by Pagani.
    Pignoloni's fabulous medley of Italian patriotic songs is housed as a concert band recording at the LOC. Well worth listening to it! He was brilliant and his arrangement is like listening to a Mussorsky whirlwind of sound!

There are a few more stragglers but this is all I could do for now. S~

An updated Index with the following titles is attached.

O. Pagani #138 L'Ipnotisme polka D A G D G. Silvestri 1916 Trio
    O. Pagani #82 Lotta D'Amore waltz A E A D F. Della Rosa 1915 Trio. Arr by Pignoloni
    O. Pagani #125 A Trieste Inno-march C E. Carosio Nd M1 & M2 arr by Pignoloni
    O. Pagani #125 A Trieste Inno-march D E. Carosio Nd M1 w chords Arr by Pignoloni
    O. Pagani #104 Risveglio Patriottica march C & F various Nd M1 & M2 arr by Pignoloni
    C. Petrucci Italia Irredenta march D & G Caesar Petrucci 1916M1 & M2 manuscript
    P. Tesio #522 Araby march a C A F. Karaboschis 1920 Trio arr by Tesio
    Catalano Antonietta polka C C F Tafarella 1925 M1 only.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMBINED_TITLES_3.29.2018_8P.pdf  

40. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Hello again, just wanted to say that for those coming on board only recently, sheet music is housed by publisher only. If you find any broken links, please let me know with a PM. I'm only too glad to post any updated or corrected links to the folders. Thank you again for treasuring this sheet music. Sheri

Pagani folder for new titles:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zvjjf66gj...ubHJo5Uoa?dl=0
    Tesio folder:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ge77nkdb8...7XP6wylRa?dl=0
    Miscellaneous folder:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/co16hc6i5...3y9iXmSla?dl=0
    please note that the publisher Rosario Catalano's sheet music is still housed in the miscellaneous folder. You will find the Tafarella "Antonietta" housed there. He published with Catalano before he moved to Pagani as his main publisher.

Gaetano Leone folder:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zo4r2lru4...xIeytUPLa?dl=0

I recently created a separate folder (as above) for all the Leone titles. They no longer appear in the MISC folder but are housed under G. Leone.

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Hi Sheri, I am new to mandolin cafe but not to the recordings Martin Jonas has made of O DiBella’s music. I have fallen in love with the compositions and would like to learn them myself. Anyway you could send me a link to the sheet music collection you posted through Dropbox some time ago?
    Best, RRapuzzi

Can you repost the Dropbox link to the o DiBella music?

Thank you so much,
    RRapuzzi

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6v7xfftvf...67_YzZ_ga?dl=0

All the mandolin trios for O. DiBellas are housed in the above link. Make sure you download the latest Index to locate the DiBella titles.
    Thank you, Sheri

46. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post: