Thread: New 5 string Octave E mando

Default New 5 string Octave E mando

Double top secret as to who is making this...in due time. But it is off the hook gorgeous!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0558.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	120617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0558.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	120617

Default Re: New 5 string Octave E mando

Scott Walker is building three E-mandos, sparked in part by Michael Kang from the String Cheese Incident (see link to his blog). Kang's mando is the one with the tail design that will house a clean boost circuit and decorative plate, ala Jerry Garcia's rig. Kang's will also have a MIDI pick up (mine will not). Scott has been a pleasure to work with and has some crazy good ideas about getting tone out of an electric.

Here is some more information and pictures:

http://scottwalkerguitars.com/electr...nd-jack-rajca/

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=84e9fb6246

Here is the final work! Incredible work of craftsmanship from Scott Walker. This is the third one he built, with the original going to Michael Kang from the String Cheese Incident. Unbucker PUs, buffer switch, Walker Pre amp, clean boost switch. Kangs has a MIDI as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11312578_630779407057598_7561740772385191022_o.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	210.0 KB 
ID:	134348

https://www.facebook.com/ScottWalker...type=1&theater

Sweet.
    Hate to ask but can you provide a ballpark range of what one of these costs?
    I"m guessing somewhere between 4 and 5 K?

Can't Stop Obsessing Over These Incredible Mandolins.....

About $3500...not bad considering his guitars are in the $7k to 11K range. You can spend more by adding alot of cool metal art, plates, MIDI (so you can play the flute through it), PUs. I wanted a very simple version that highlighted the cocabola wood. Scott is just a pleasure to work with, and given that this is his first go at it, he really took a considerble amount of time perfecting it. During the String Cheese Winter tour, Kang came in in between shows and would have different pickups put in until he got the sound right. I think he went through 4 or 5 different PUs until settling on the Fralin unbuckers. Kang is apparently so pleased with the outcome that he is having a second one made with a different set up. You might want to get in on that round....