Thread: snakhead a-1, angle on logo and tuners

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Default snakhead a-1, angle on logo and tuners

Mandolin Brothers shows a 1924 with horizontal, "The Gibson" and worm-over tuners.

A 1925 (based on FON) is headed to my house and it has worm under tuners and the angled stencil, "The Gibson." Is this just an example of Gibson's inconsitency?

I'm curious if going from "worm under" to "worm over" marks a time in production? Same for the horizontal versus angled, "The Gibson."

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Default Re: snakhead a-1, angle on logo and tuners

Gibson definitely varied the angle of their headstock logo a lot during the 20s. I've seen very steep angles as well as straight across. That's just Gibson.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

3. The following members say thank you to pfox14 for this post:

Tuners are not the best way to date a pre-war Gibson instrument. Gibson often used whatever was at hand in order to get instruments out the door. Even if Gibson began using "worm-over" configuration in 1924, it doesn't mean that there wasn't a back-stock of "worn-under" tuners sitting around, or that the manufacturer had a blow-out sale on "worm-under" after they invented the "worm-over" tuner. There is also the possibility that tuners were changed out at a later date.

There are simply too many uncertainties to try and use tuner specs as a dating criteria.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Spann For This Useful Post:

I can't give you much, but the stenciled logo appears in later '24 at an angle....at some point later it went to more or less straight across. The straight across ones tend to have the worm over tuners, while the earlier ones still utilized the worm under. Now, obviously the changes are not necessarily related to each other, but the strict worm over configuration seems to have happened in early '25 with some examples a bit earlier. As a generality, I would expect most any 81xxx or higher serial to have worm over with straight stencil
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

Did the worm-under to worm-over configuration change coincide with the (now standard) modern post spacing, or are they not related?

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Wolfe View Post
    I can't give you much, but the stenciled logo appears in later '24 at an angle....at some point later it went to more or less straight across. The straight across ones tend to have the worm over tuners, while the earlier ones still utilized the worm under. Now, obviously the changes are not necessarily related to each other, but the strict worm over configuration seems to have happened in early '25 with some examples a bit earlier. As a generality, I would expect most any 81xxx or higher serial to have worm over with straight stencil
    Just to confuse matters my A1 S/H with a serial No. 76XXX has worm-over tuners and a slanted stencil.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mandopixie View Post
    Did the worm-under to worm-over configuration change coincide with the (now standard) modern post spacing, or are they not related?
    I think this was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by mandopixie View Post
    Not related; modern spacing appeared already in 1923 (on F5s). Except for one example (again F5), worm over stated in late 1928, if I‘m not mistaken, early, though, on F4s. Not sure about A-models. Without checking the MA, I remember that one finds the worm-over pattern on As in 1925 (or a bit earlier), the change to modern spacing must have been earlier.

Unhappy Re: snakhead a-1, angle on logo and tuners

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
    Not related; modern spacing appeared already in 1923 (on F5s). Except for one example (again F5), worm over stated in late 1928, if I‘m not mistaken, early, though, on F4s. Not sure about A-models. Without checking the MA, I remember that one finds the worm-over pattern on As in 1925 (or a bit earlier), the change to modern spacing must have been earlier.
    No definitive parameters, then. That's some muddy water I've just waded into..

The worm-over tuners on the S/H I mention in post 6 have modern spacing.

12. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

I have a '23(I think)A-1 snakehead;FON 8154 ;SN:79778.

It got new tuners when Don MacRostie installed a radiused/bound fretboard on it.

Hoping a kind sould will be able to tell me if it is an A-1 or just an A?

Stencil "The Gibson" looks fairly straight across;very slightly angled.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180814_143305.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	310.3 KB 
ID:	170224

Fatt,can you show a pic of the '25 when you get it? Please.
    Love the narrow neck on mine.

14. The following members say thank you to V70416 for this post:

Given the modifications, radiused FB with binding, it isn’t what it started out so, what difference does it make?
    Not being a smarty boots but, really, it has been modified with tuners, and a bound fingerboard so, “the old grey mare just ain’t what she used to be.”
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Question Re: snakhead a-1, angle on logo and tuners

Quote Originally Posted by V70416 View Post

It got new tuners when Don MacRostie installed a radiused/bound fretboard on it.
    If those are the factory post holes, it looks 'right' with those Schaller modern tuners. Hard to say for sure from the photo, but if that is the case, I would doubt its dating to 1923.

Timbofood,smarty boots,makes no difference to me what model designation;just thought I'd ask ;but,makes a big difference in how it plays.

mandopixie,at the risk of going off-topic I will try to send better pics. The FON and serial should be able to date it,right?
    Last edited by V70416; Aug-15-2018 at 10:47am.

I don't like the pearloid tuner buttons but do enjoy the general playability of it since the modifications.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180815_114816.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	170257

Not sure if holes were redrilled for new tuners. New nut/bridge too. I did save all the old parts. The original fretboard is fastened to a plank of hardwood.

19. The following members say thank you to V70416 for this post:

Mine also has Schallers - they wre a straight drop-in (which, to me, suggests that I have the modern spacing) - maybe it doesn't look original but at least I can get it in tune and it stays in tune. Going back to the originals would be an easy swap.

21. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

I hate to say it, but - according to Joe Spann's book - your mandolin was made in 1925 and sold in '26.

23. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

Thumbs up Re: snakhead a-1, angle on logo and tuners

I don't like the pearloid tuner buttons but do enjoy the general playability of it since the modifications.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180815_114816.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	170257

Not sure if holes were redrilled for new tuners. New nut/bridge too. I did save all the old parts. The original fretboard is fastened to a plank of hardwood.
    Worm over from the factory, so replacements dropped in. Looks good to me, and if you like how it plays, that's huge!

Now that I see some images of the corpus, I’d bet “A-1” I could be wrong but, now it’s the “new and improved” A-?
    Just poking a little fun!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Timbo,the label on mine,after almost a century,is hard to decipher. Also,I stupidly used an air compressor to blow out
    crud and almost completely detached the label.

I'm ok with it being an A-. It was unplayable before Don took pity and spiffed it up. I like bound fretboards;he asked
    if I wanted it bound.
    Of course!

What hurts is finding out the poor thing was birthed after Lloyd left the building. It was sold as a 1923 Gibson.

I gotta get one of them Spann books. Soon.

Timbo,the label on mine,after almost a century,is hard to decipher. Also,I stupidly used an air compressor to blow out
    crud and almost completely detached the label.

I'm ok with it being an A-. It was unplayable before Don took pity and spiffed it up. I like bound fretboards;he asked
    if I wanted it bound.
    Of course!

What hurts is finding out the poor thing was birthed after Lloyd left the building. It was sold as a 1923 Gibson.

I gotta get one of them Spann books. Soon.
    Never trust even the most famous of the vintage dealers on dating Gibsons. Heck I bought a Martin guitar from an extremely well known vintage dealer and they clearly were off a year. Spann's book is the "go to" guide to use for prewar Gibsons. Gruhn's best guide for post war Gibson, but you need to know how to read them. Gibson used the same serial numbers decades apart.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post: