Thread: St Pat day

Well the irish holiday "St Patricks Day", is just around the corner. Anyone doing any celtic gigs or something in local taverns or venues. Anyone just gonna pick some tunes to get into the spirit. I have alot of irish in my blood so i guess i will pick some tunes. I will probably print some jigs tommorow and learn them and play them for the holiday. I have been wanting to print some tunes out anyway.

So what are you all doing? Anything? Share your thoughts oppinions. I dont care what you talk about as long as it has something to do with this holiday.

Dont forget to wear your green.

As a fourth generation Irish-American I take pride in the day...So we normally gather before the parade and play a bit--a few jigs---some drinking songs, listen to some Thin Lizzy and then drink like fish and we're napping by 1 PM...and we're ALWAYS wearing the GREEN :-)
    PeacE
    Brian

Got some frends from Tandragee in Nothren Ireland comming over here to Scotland #so we are gonna be painting the Town Green ....... get a few tunes going #and a few beers #and wear me Irish Rugby Shirt #realy looking forward to the Crac
    Everybody have a safe one...

Mandolin-AL

Sounds fun.

glad to hear others are of the same mind as myself----->

I have been pickin on some jigs and assorted what-not in honor of St. Pat.....The significant other is VERY irish, so this holiday is a big deal in her household...

at some point, I will listen to the Pogues, a long standing tradition amongst my friends and I....

other than that, I plan on celebrating as much as a non-drinking person can on an irish holiday!

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

We are blessed with three Irish sessions per week here, another just under an hour away in Indianapolis and good ones in Louisville, too, so it's real green around here all the time! <GG> We don't wear it particularly, but we play it, read it, listen to Irish radio on the internet...

Among our session pals there are five different bands gigging on St Pats, and those who aren't in regular 'bands' are playing in special sessions (for pay, too!), so it's a very good year.

Our band, the Culchies (I play bouzouki, mando & guitar, TJ Hull plays fiddle & whistle, and Min Gates plays bodhran & bones) will play the Heorot pub in Muncie, Indiana, on Thursday 3.17, which is a great place for us. We play there about every six weeks and have great crowds.

On Friday, 3.18, we play in Bloomington, Indiana (home to Min and I), in a great pub that features a lot of wonderful original and traditional acoustic artists, the Players' Pub. They also have a great cook who is going to make a lamb stew (Min's recipe!) for the evening.

On Saturday, 3.19, in the afternoon we play in the Butcher's Block butcher shop because Min talked them into stocking Irish bangers and black & white puddings, and lamb flown in fresh from Ireland, which have been grand successes for them. Wotta hoot!

And Saturday evening (3.19 still) we play in Spencer, Indiana, just a bit west of Bloomington, at O'Brien's Pub, and harper Judith Brennan will trade sets with us. O'Brien's has been a home and a great help to many original and traditonal acoustic musicians in southern Indiana over the years and we're really happy to be invited there for this year's St. Patrick's weekend.

And we've just gotten our first Culchies CD, "Bruscar Bán," back from the manufacturer, so we have that to share with folks for this year's gigs! That's a thrill!

I hope you all have fantastic, musical St. Patrick's holidays!

steveV

Hey sliabhstv, your group sounds pretty awesome. If you were located in Virginia i would come see you in a flash. Love the tin whistle, fiddle, and mandolin mix. Just makes for great irish music.

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

Thanks Mike!! We're open to taking some dates in the Old Dominion! <GGG> Min and I once lived in Bethesda, Md., for a while, so we have some little notion of VA, and we would indeed love to play there!

Thanks again, and all the best for a grand St. Pat's day!

stv

Same to you. It would be awesome if you would make a stop here sometime.

With my school workload I don't know how much of it I can take in, but:

3/16 evening - Celtic jam up Emigration Canyon at the old Crompton's (can't recall the name of the current business)
    3/17 evening - Jam around the corner from me; the host is serious about St. Patrick's Day and his homebrew... ought to be several kegs tapped and lots of good tunes.
    3/19 evening - Jam at my house. The usual victims are into folk, BG, and "hippy rock", but I told them they had to come with Celtic tunes in mind. Will be stocking up on Tullamore Dew for the occasion. Mando content: there will probably be 4 or 5 mandolins out of about 20 jammers... not a bad ratio.

pd
    "... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams

Wake the Dead (California's favorite [and only] all-acoustic Celtic/Grateful Dead jam band) has some St. Patrick's Day gigs coming up. Learn more about the band at the Wake the Dead homepage. Lots of mandolin.

THURSDAY, MARCH 17th, 2005
    Live on KFOG'S Morning Show with Dave Morey (104.5 FM in San Francisco) -
    6:30 to 8:30 a.m.
    Our return to the show to celebrate St. Paddy's Day, and a wild and wooly
    romp it will be.

THURSDAY, MARCH 17th, 2005
    St. Patrick's Day Bash at Moe's Alley, Santa Cruz, CA
    1835 Commercial Way (off Soquel Ave.)
    Showtime: 8:00 p.m. - Tickets $15 adv/$18 door - for tix and info, call:
    831-479-1854 or visit the website
    http://www.moesalley.com
    This is our first show at Moe's Alley, renowned blues spot and now
    branching out to lots
    of cool musical genres. Sure to be packed, so get your tickets early.

SATURDAY, MARCH 19th, 2005
    19 Broadway, Fairfax, CA
    19 Broadway is right downtown in Fairfax, easy to find and park
    Showtime: 9:30 p.m. - WTD hits the stage after a hot, short opening set
    tickets $15 - for tix and info, call 415-459-1091 or visit their website
    http://www.19broadway.com
    Our debut at one of the hottest new clubs in the North Bay. If you've seen
    WTD at Rancho Nicasio and
    wished it wasn't so far to drive or at Sweetwater and wished you had more
    room to bop, this may be the
    perfect spot for you.

SATURDAY, APRIL 2nd, 2005
    The San Francisco Beer & Oyster Festival
    Washington Square Park, North Beach, San Francisco, CA
    free festival runs all day, with music all afternoon. WTD to play a long
    set between 1 and 3 p.m.
    Also on the bill will be our good friends Molly's Revenge. Lots of great
    food and drink,
    a great party day for the whole family. Check out the website for more
    information
    http://www.oreillysoysterfestival.com

FRIDAY, APRIL 15th, 2005
    The Little Fox Theatre, Redwood City, CA
    2209 Broadway, downtown Redwood City
    Showtime: 9:00 p.m. - Tickets $16 advance, $18 door - call 650-366-3696 for
    tix and info or visit the website
    http://www.foxdream.com
    Every Little Fox show gets better for us. This charming club offers plenty
    of dance floor and comfy
    seats downstairs and in the balcony.

SUNDAY, APRIL 17th, 2005
    San Francisco Mandolin Festival
    Slavonic Cultural Center, Onondaga Street (off 280)
    A lovely annual event for lovers of all types of mandolin music.
    Doors open at 11:00 a.m., the famous Bring-Your-Own-Mandolin Orchestra
    plays at Noon,
    workshops go from 1-3 p.m., concert starts at 3 p.m., figuring a
    mando-centric WTD lineup
    (Paul, Danny, Sylvia, Cindy, and Joe) and Joe Craven's own star-turn in the
    spotlight on mandolin.
    Check out the website for tickets and more information.
    http://www.slavonicweb.org/events/mandfest.html

And, as always, both CDs and available at www.wakethedead.org
    Yes, we do plan a third album this year... you'll know recording and
    release dates almost as soon as we do!
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Ive got a couple of jigs already lined up for some good fun pickin. I might print a couple more off this site and others. "Welcome to Ireland" is a nice sounding one.

yep - am at work at the moment, but am playing in a paid session this eve with some good friends which should be great although will probably be playing mostly guitar

Paul Wheeler
    Greenfield, NH; formerly Jericho and St. Albans, VT

Tradition is wonderful. On March 17th we celebrate Saint Patrick to excess, thanking him for driving the snakes out of Ireland. And as a result, on March 18th we beg him to drive the snakes (and spiders, and other hallucinatory crawlies) out of our bedrooms! -- Paul
    He joyously felt himself idling, an unreflective mood in which water was water, sky was sky, breeze was breeze. He knew it couldn't last. -- Thomas McGuane, "Nothing but Blue Skies"

Playing a gig with my Trio at the 'Iron Boar' (great name # !). Playing mando and guitar with some trad irish, maritime Canadian, and some pop and country # .

Happy St. Pat's everyone!!

thepurecanada.com

Anyone in the Champaign-Urbana, Illinois area should come see my band play tonight. We're on from 7-9 at Mike & Molly's and 10 until whenever at The Iron Post.

http://www.spiralseisiun.com/

Its here. Happy St Patricks day to all!

What's green and sits outside in the sun?

Oh fine then... No takers! Harumph!
    ..................ready?.......................... ........
    Ahem..... Here goes......................................

"Paddy-o-furniture!"

Bwahhhh-ha-ha-ha! Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk! Hee Haw!

so bummed, went down to the local pub (the only one in town), as they advertised killian's special and live music for st. pat's, expecting a fun celtic performer. well, the new owner took our unique little place that was a converted (barely) railroad depot and turned it into any sportsbar u.s.a., and then the performer was a guy playing low key jazz, mostly what sounded like scales, on an archtop guitar.
    buuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeerrrr rrrrrrrrr!
    (at least they had some jamesons to keep me going)

Our little Celtic trio celebrated with the Senior Citizens at a local old folks home last Monday. Ie: we only had a volunteer gig, not a paid one. But it was touching to see some smiles on their faces, and we gained some more experience.

Our band split up last spring due to time commitment problems, but last year we played a couple freebies for Senior Centers with some step dancers, and started of the Siamsa after the local parade. I was really missing that this year... I'd like to get a band together again. The seniors were very appreciative, and it is good practice.

Paul Doubek
    "... beauty is not found in the excessive but what is lean and spare and subtle" - Terry Tempest Williams

Our group played at a St Patty's party last night. This is east texas so the Guiness & Harp were accompanied by the a lot of the "yard bird" both fried and bar b que'd. At one point there were 3 bodhrans pounding out the rhythm. We played a lot of jigs, reels & hornpipes but as the evening grew later the songs included Dylan, Mexican ballads and even a Venezualan waltz. I hope everyone had fun playing great Irish music.