Thread: Whammy Bar? Haha

Question Whammy Bar? Haha

Couldn't help but chuckle, but I'm in a funk-rock-jam-shred band here at college with my Fender Fm-60e and I have accumulated a couple effects over the years. Now in an effort to really deck my electric out, I want to slap a whammy bar on it - any clue at all what kind I should get for it? I know nothing about installing a whammy bar, only know the sound and how to use one haha

Here's a link to an original tune of mine we do - originally more of a dark folk tune, i showed it to the guys and they instantly made it reggae.. really cool how it completely transformed! Anyway, the solos/vocals are me, and I'd love to rock out some whammy in there somewhere next time we do it live.. since they only cost like $20!

https://soundcloud.com/up-on-the-roof/two-shoes
    ~Henry Clark

Default Re: Whammy Bar? Haha

Nice tune. Perhaps a custum bigsby? I have toyed with the idea of a bigsby on my mandocaster. But at 8 strings I am no sure how it would hold the tension.
    Its not a backwards guitar.

Zeeku, I don't know of any whammy bars available for $20... well, maybe the handle.
    There might be the possibility of building a mounting device for a Bigsby B5 tremolo. Add to that at least the cost to do a good setup and maybe something like a graph-tech nut and bridge cap to try to give the instrument some kind of fighting chance of staying remotely in tune after bends, and the fact that some experimentation will be necessary to get the spring tension right... you're probably at least in the $250 range.

At that point, why not just get a Whammy pedal?

You're not going to get a fender style whammy bridge on a Fm-60e. I have one. They are built like a thinline tele or a 335 - they are hollow with a center block running the length.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

I have a Digitech whammy (being a big Tom Morello fan) and other than the occasional dive bomb it really sounds nothing like a whammy bar (as evidenced by that video). In fact, coupled with an emando it may be the most annoying effect in the universe. I love it!!