Thread: What traits do the best videos lessons have in common?

Default What traits do the best videos lessons have in common?

Hello everyone,

This summer, I'm planning on working with some outstanding local mandolin players to create a series of lick & song books, where they'll show cool ideas and I'll analyze & explain what they're doing with my Fretboard Toolbox books. So before I start spending lots of time writing and making videos with them, I wanted to pick your brains about what key traits the video lessons that have truly made the greatest impact on your playing have in common. e.g. content, pacing, camera angles, methods of explanation, etc. (Including lots of TAB and backing tracks is already in the plan).

I haven't ever taught any songs on my YouTube channel, so I experimented with creating a "Picking Wildwood Flower" lesson, which is a song I've been working on recently. I'd really appreciate any feedback/suggestions regarding whether I'm on the right track with this format, or what I can do differently in my videos to make them the kind of lessons that really make a difference for people.

I'm still a beginning mandolin player, so if your only suggestion are that I need a lot more practice, I completely agree! I'm definitely working on it! For what it's worth, I highly recommend becoming an expert player first, and then writing your book. Somehow I'm going about it the other way around, which can make for a pretty rough road at times.

Thanks for any insights you're willing to provide!

Scott
    Scott Sharp
    Fretboard Toolbox Creator, Owner, Accountant, Video Producer,
    Customer Service Rep, Secretary,Web Designer, and so on... :-)
    Lawrence, KS
    Ph: 785-764-2642
    www.fretboard-toolbox.com

Default Re: What traits do the best videos lessons have in common?

I think, it is critical to repeat things several times when delivering audio information so that it can be grasped, understood, and retained.

rory blocks was unique as she taught several common licks to first master, and then made it easy to integrate them into a variety of RJ's tunes. her materials corresponded to on each section and were easy to locate and to follow. she emphasized rhythm precision and techniques to get a particular sound.

I guess the formula is hear/ listen, watch, slow example , repeat last again with detail , integrate into song.

for an example of a how not to do a lesson, watch the danny gatton guitar lessons, modestly entertaining and very jaw dropping, and possibly the worst communicator/teacher I have ever seen. it is mind numbing work to decipher his lessons. not likely for the average joe. might as well buy his cds and start.

what I might suggest, is that you teach a few lessons face to face and get a real world feel for what students need.
    some are very slow to grasp the most basic concepts, and , also have troubles with technique and simply physically making chords or being able to change even close to tempo. imagine then, a video lesson which marchs relentlessly by......

I clicked on your link, and I had already downloaded your free e book samples...small world.....

I will be dead frank, you have made a cool tool, and as a guy who understand most of this stuff , the info you present in video is likely too much for the beginner. I assume most want quick and dirty and not the why until later.

In watching the presentation, and I know not ony the song, but the theory, there is no way I could absorb and integrate what youre presenting...ie heres the tunes, note that the notes are in the white boxes, theres so much going on at once , ie which notes for each change, and the chart, and the video insert, its like watching a dashboard and learning to drive all at once.

You are pleasant, the sound is a bit hollow, the pace tempo you used was perfect, Scott, and your fingering was not as easy to see as it might be for a beginner.

the fret board diagram I find to be most confusing, visually (and I get it) .
    there are so many boxes that appear, yet you really don't need them all, for any example,
    ie the g blues, g maj-I understand the white boxes are relevant, but my eye takes in all the rest as well, and theres less clarity in the pattern scale, for example

I know you have done a huge amount of work and I thinks its superb, but these are my thoughts and are not meant to be hurtful or negative. your system is easy to navigate if you already know most of this info, but I think it may be overwhelming if one is struggling to simply understand what a 1-4-5 is, no less scales, etc-need smaller chunks, baby steps,

your playing btw is just fine.
    best steve

I don't usually post but I have to disagree here ... Danny Gatton's Hot licks lessons are an incredible insight into his mind set when playing... Yes, you have to back them up and watch them a few times to 'get it' but the rockabilly vibe is right there if you spend a little time... Not really mandolin but he sure could pick and it's right there in the video how he did it.

Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to give such a thoughtful analysis! I like the part where you said,

“In watching the presentation, and I know not only the song, but the theory, there is no way I could absorb and integrate what you’re presenting...ie here’s the tunes, note that the notes are in the white boxes, there’s so much going on at once, ie which notes for each change, and the chart, and the video insert, it’s like watching a dashboard and learning to drive all at once”.

This is just what you get when you let any old biology teacher with ADD self-publish books on music theory for instruments that he doesn’t even know how to play yet.

Part of the issue is that I never set out to create a learning method. I’ve taught high school biology for 13 years now, and I know how much work that takes to take people from Point A to Point B, so creating a new learning method from scratch was never my intention. Really I was just wanting to lay out the “rules”, like chemistry’s Periodic Table of the Elements, so I could see the big picture all at once, for myself, and then start figuring out what to do with it. So my books are kind of like Mendeleev’s Periodic Table in that you can’t just hand it to someone, give them a shelf full of chemicals, and then say, “now DO chemistry”. But like you point out, it’s a lot for folks to take in all at once. Understanding my books definitely take a lot of dedicated work, a lot of explanation, and a lot of patience to start making sense of them, but once folks do, the feedback I get is that all sorts of connections start opening up, so that's what keeps me going at this.

You were spot on when you said, “I assume most want quick and dirty and not the why until later”. It’s been really interesting for me to see that most folks who buy my Toolboxes are in their late 50's and beyond. It seems like the younger players often want folks to show them what to do to get playing quickly, and the older folks want to know how and why different musical ideas work, maybe so they can understand the ideas in more keys and apply the ideas to new instruments, etc.

I hadn’t thought about the sound on my videos being hollow- so that’s something I’ll definitely have to try and work on. I’ll also spend more time looking into Rory Block’s videos- I love her playing, and the one Danny Gatton lesson I watched completely blew my mind, so for me it would definitely have to be worked through VERY slowly. At least for the one video I watched, I definitely see what you’re saying there.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your ideas! Your comments have definitely got my creative juices flowing in searching for new and better ways to show these ideas.

Scott
    Scott Sharp
    Lawrence, KS

5. The following members say thank you to Fretboard Toolbox for this post:

Scott

I think what you're doing is great! I like your toolbox. I think you play very well for what you're teaching. You have the basis for some great online lessons. So my thoughts here are purely constructive:

> Be more clear in your own mind what the lesson is about. I found the Wildwood Flower video to jump around talking about playing the melody, playing the chords, basic music theory and using the tool. The best lessons I've seen online are very clear about just doing one thing at a time until it's done. I know it's all related, but students aren't there yet. That video could have been four different videos. the next video that came up after that one, "Seeing...Scales" seemed much more single-focus. Even though it taught different things, it stayed on a theme.

> Your delivery is very positive and confident and I would choose my words to match. I would not say, "I've been working this." or "I hope you find this useful." or "Practice is frustrating." I would just dive in assuming you know the tune and the audience will find it useful. As for practice, I would say something like, "Take it slow and put in the practice and you'll be playing this in no time."

> Get rid of nonsense syllables, such as "uhs" and "ahs" and "ums." This is Toastmasters 101. Listen to your soundtrack and you will hear them. They subconsciously cut you credibility in the audience's mind.

> The explanation of chords and keys seemed confusing for a beginner. This is not exactly what you said, but it sounded something like, "So we're in C and the fifth chord is G and fifth of the G chord is D..." I knew what you meant, but a beginner would be confused.

> Have the camera get a better view of your fingers on the fretboard.

> If you are going to do a two-shot of your fingers and the tool, have someone else run the tool, so your fingers move in coordination with things showing up on the tool.

> The tool screens were not as clear as I would have liked. Hopefully there is a way to get higher resolution. Also, some more color-coding in the tool would be nice.

7. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    the fret board diagram I find to be most confusing, visually (and I get it) .
    there are so many boxes that appear, yet you really don't need them all, for any example,
    ie the g blues, g maj-I understand the white boxes are relevant, but my eye takes in all the rest as well, and theres less clarity in the pattern scale, for example
    Yep same thought, the fretboard 'jig' is kinda distracting at times.

I always find it hard to stay with the excessive and painfully slow calling of each note. ex "starting on the forth string, second fret, an A, next note stays on forth string moving to 4th fret, for a B, then on to the third string, the D string, on the second fret, an E... blah, blah". I haven't found patience for that even if some find it necessary. You kept it to a minimum tho - not too painful

9. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing all of your advice! Here's my thoughts on your thoughts:

I definitely agree that I need to work on clarifying, and perhaps narrowing the scope of what each lesson is about. I know that knowledge must be progressively built, but there's so many fascinating connections to be made that I perhaps err on the side of showing too many of those connections, whereas I feel that most lessons I come across err on the polar opposite side- what I call the, "Trust me. Just put this finger on this string and this fret and then that finger..." approach. I need to work on finding a happy medium.

I'm going to launch a personal "uh" and "um" eradication campaign and see how much progress I can make. You'd think with all my high school teaching experience, and a Master's Degree in Curriculum and Instruction, that I would have already taken care of that bad habit, but alas I still obviously have a long ways to go. For the record, those verbal "empty calories" also drive me crazy during the playback when I'm producing my videos. I guess I'll have to start with Toastmasters 001.

As for "the explanation of chords and keys seemed confusing for a beginner", it's something that I don't mind at all, in that I think those ideas are infinitely valuable, rarely taught, and my books actually have a way for people to see those things- what key are we in; what are the I, IV, V chords; which notes make up each of those chords, etc. So I think those ideas are worth getting frustrated over, because they can lay the groundwork for so many deeper connections. In class, I often tell my students that if they're not confused a bit, then I'm probably not challenging them enough. I just try to make sure that when my students are confused, the material that they're learning makes it worth the struggle. I truly believe these ideas are worth the struggle. It's either that, or it could just be that I'm an AP Biology teacher, so I've grown too accustomed to people being confused.

Lastly, your camera view/filming logistics suggestions are all greatly appreciated! I have agonized over how to best show these ideas for the last several years, and I feel like I've tried everything under the sun. One of my limiting factors is that I do all of the filming, playing, teaching, editing, etc., and I just need some wise man on the mountain to say, "No, my son. If you want people to see, you must make your videos like this...".

Again, I can not thank you enough for sharing your ideas with me. You've given me so much food for thought that it's going to take some time for me to digest it all, but, uh, I do, um, appreciate it immensely!

Scott
    Scott Sharp
    Lawrence, KS

Mandolinist out of Atl
    Blog Entries

This a great question, one I am still searching for an answer too. I have many videos on my you tube channel, some are not very good, while others get positive feedback in the form of comments, and likes. Something I have learned, is that your on the right track with making videos touching on smaller chunks. Just part of a song, or an intro.

An entire song that might be within the playing ability of us, could need to be slowed down and split into multiple videos for a player just starting out.

Also, I understand not all players are familiar with note names, but having them verbalized I do believe can help all players. I think the very beginner can slowly learn the note names through osmosis.

Wish you the best, good stuff

12. The following members say thank you to JRcohan for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Having a fretboard diagram on screen together with the real fretboard would make much more sense if the diagram would reflect what you do in real time, e.g. like the little white boxes lighting up one by one. Then you wouldn't need to fill that gap with so much explanation. I realize that this would take a lot of video editing, but the challenge is to beat a simple sheet of paper with mando tabs on it.
    And both fretboards should show in the same orientation, i.e. the real fretboard from the player's angle of view, not the listener's.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

14. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

As one who has attended berklee, and taken lessons the better part of my life, from superb players and far less commonly, superb teachers,
    I think the 'trust me' approach has it's place.

First, music/playing is 'difficult' and takes perseverance.
    So to keep some joy in it, one needs to have little achievements, like , an entire song that one can play.

Second, speaking only for me, I find that my learning often takes some sort of comfortable and familiar framework as a point of reference to add info.

A building block as you have noted.

Play one song. Play another in another key. Notice the similar 'distances' between the chords used in each key.(referring here to a I-IV-V song for example).

Grasp the concept of distance or intervals. Learn the distances in a major scale -whole step whole step half step, etc. Compare how this relates to the 2 songs I have learned. Compare how the names of the applicable chords match the names /distances in the major scales. Learn a basic pattern to use as a 'solo'-the old pentatonic-in those 2 songs. Notice that I can play the pentatonic by using the same pattern, and knowing where to place it on the finger board for the right key.

My point , and not a good one, in terms of foundations, is that many assimilate bits and pieces and understanding AS NEEDED and as it can be applied. This, for me, helps with memory. Its very much like learning a language, I find.

If I play modal scales regularly, I remember them, and slowly, can expand their use.

OTOH< if I am shown a C maj scale, and told to make music, its ....up the scale, down the scale. Maybe, up and down in thirds, etc.
    I may become bored. I still cant play a song. This was often the experience I had with more than a couple Mel Bay books.

Show me, otoh, C, F and G7, and give me a song book and I can suddenly play bunchs of tunes. Im interested and will memorize those chords. Later, I can learn new chords forms, and even, new forms for C,F and G.

So, perhaps -the chord to a song, the melody, a scale to use. Then maybe , introduce the major scale, and its distances, and apply to the board.
    Song 2, really really close to song 1, introduce the relative minor substitution.

I dunno....its overwhelming the more I think about it.

So, I think the issue is how to build a foundation that is digestible, retainable and encouraging for self study, especially outside the forced discipline of a music school. I fear I have revealed my short attention span and flighty nature. LOL

I know you will succeed, and many things have first versions, and then are refined. The thing is, you have undertaken a huge amount of information to present, ie music and theory. And, for mando, as I gleen from this forum, to a demographic possibly less interested in the why compared to the how. Not a dis, just an opinion/observation. OTOH I try to play jazz on my mando, and your track will be helpful.
    Last edited by stevedenver; Apr-18-2014 at 11:45am.

16. The following members say thank you to stevedenver for this post:

Hi John,

I took to heart your suggestions, and the others in this thread, and I ended up creating an all new series of books aimed at music theory beginners that I call "Essential Editions". They show how to build the I-vi chords, all over the fretboard, in the 5 most commonly played Major keys (G, A, C, D, and E). They're entirely color-coded, which, as you would have predicted, has made explaining how my books work infinitely easier. I also ended up developing a new first-person perspective system for making videos that hopefully gives better views of my fingers on the fretboard using one camera, and simultaneously shows my strumming hand with a second camera. I just finished my first video with this format, called "Your First 6 Mandolin Chords in G Major", and if you get the chance to check it out, I'd appreciate hearing what you think.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions!

Happy playing,

Scott

PS I still might end up with a D in Toastmaster's 101. Old habits die hard. :-)
    Scott Sharp
    Lawrence, KS