Thread: Delfast Academy May 18-21

Default Delfast Academy May 18-21

Has anyone gone to Delfast Academy in Westminster, MD (this is immediately before DelFest), and if so, could they provide any info on what the curriculum was, and what they liked/didn't like? The description (1st link below) says that the instruction is geared towards the student's needs, but that leaves a lot of territory open. One can find the different workshops they offer during their traditional weeks from 2013 (eg at the 2nd link below), but I don't see anything like that for the Delfast Academy

This is not so far from me, and it sounds like it would be fun, but I guess I'd like to know more about it before paying the tuition and using vacation days. bb

http://delfest.com/delfest-academy/#.UzNHcfm-Ud9

http://www.commongroundonthehill.org...ergridwk1.html

Default Re: Delfast Academy May 18-21

The Academy is well worth it! I'll be going for my 5th consecutive and I live in Alaska. It is actually in Cumberland, MD and I'm not sure where the 2nd link came from, but it isn't associated with Delfest. Some years it has only been Ronnie McCoury as a teacher, but other years teachers have included Jesse Cobb and last year was Don Rigsby with Ronnie. There may or may not be another teacher based on numbers. There is in fact a lot of open territory about what is taught. Ronnie does his best to answer all questions and we'll usually learn a fiddle tune or two. The ONLY thing i don't really like is that there is such a range of abilities in one class, making it hard to target instruction. Other than that, Delfest Academy is the best thing ever. A couple tunes picked by the McCoury's every morning, an opportunity to play with them, hangin' out, late night pickin' circles, etc, etc, etc. Lots to love. Sign up!
    the sun's gonna shine in my back door someday

Default Re: Delfast Academy May 18-21

Thanks for the info, and for reinvigorating the other thread. Not sure why I associated Delfest with the Common Ground in Westminster; I guess it's all just "Maryland" to this Virginia boy .... ;-)

It sounds like I would really enjoy it, altho I'll have to see how my work schedule shakes out. I'm taking some vacation the week before to go to the Gettysburg Bluegrass Festival, and I'm not sure if I can get more time approved the next week. Who invented this work thing anyway ... bb