Thread: Upgraded my Mandolin to a Kentucky KM-505

Default Upgraded my Mandolin to a Kentucky KM-505

Hi,
    So after I've been playing for quite a while now I figured out one way to make it easier to get better would be to buy a better mandolin.
    Now originally I wanted to make this one in a lifetime buy, because I made my Bachelor and got a quite nice job, however study loans that I have to pay back made this a little bit impossible for me right now! So this has to wait till end of this year
    Anyway what I could afford was this nice instrument and since I found one thread on the forum here where people said the KM-505 is worth its money and quite a couple of people on youtube said so too (besides showcasing the nice sound) I ordered it (I can't buy mandolins at local music stores, I tried and they either only had bowl backs which I find very difficult to play or they didnt have mandolins at all!).
    So anyway here some nice pics (sadly I cant provide a record yet but oh well once I get a bit better I might change that too!)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140221_173309[1].jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	114673

Nice back!:

Name:	20140221_173902[1].jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	114674

Next to my old one:

Name:	20140221_195619[2].jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	114675

So what can I say about the mandolin so far. It feels like I invested my money into a quite good instrument, the plabyability is just awesome, also the sound has quite a nice sustain and volume. I cant complain about the tone I get from these F-Holes, it just sounds right.
    The fretboard is also nicely set and it is a charme to play on it. I had to get used to the neck being a tiny bit longer (or so it feels at least), but all in all I dont think I did a mistake here.

Greets,
    Roin

Blog Entries

Default Re: Upgraded my Mandolin to a Kentucky KM-505

I have played 2 different 505s and thought both were excellent. Not just "good for the money" but really nice mandolins. They had a more modern sound that I connected with. Congratulations!!

Take a couple nice photos to the Proud Kentucky Pickers thread!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

3. The following members say thank you to Ken Olmstead for this post:

Roin 

Thanks, yeah I'd call it excellent as well but I didnt want to shout too much about it.... I was a bit scared I might overdo it with my enthusiasm :D.
    Where do I find this thread? (Uh I'll try to find it anyway but I also added an album on my mando cafe page and I will take a couple more pics tomorrow)

Blog Entries

They really are very good. Very nicely made, high grade materials and good finish. They are pretty good with J74's, but I found the GHS 'Silk & Bronze' was a very good match and sounded even better on these mandolins to my ear. Worth experimenting with strings to see what suits you best.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Thanks I ordered some J74s a couple of days ago because many people here recommend them. I also have some Martin light strings (.010-.34) that I always used on my Soprancister (no truss rod so light strings are the recommended way). Anyway thanks for the heads up and now after one day I totally fell in love with it
    Nicely made, very nice tone, good playability (even though after an evening of playing my favorit tunes up and down my fingers hurt lol)

The 505 is a great mandolin. One of my bandmates played his last night in our performance. It sounded really good.

9. The following members say thank you to Jon Hall for this post:

Roin