Thread: Classical Technique

Default Classical Technique

I've been playing mandolin for over 30 years, mostly bluegrass or other folky styles, and I gig fairly often, either on mando or a mix of mando and keyboards. I'm also a degreed pianist and piano teacher and am an adept music reader.

Next week, I'm going to rehearse with a local mandolin orchestra. I've been practicing the parts and feel relatively prepared but I have some questions for those here with classical mandolin experience.

Are there differences in a standard classical approach to technique? Also, what is the protocol for long notes, do I let them ring or is tremolo always used? Are open strings a last resort, or a first choice?

Any help with these would be much appreciated.
    2018 Bowerman A-5
    2013 The Loar LM-520-VS
    2011 Fender FMO-66 Octave Mandolin

Default Re: Classical Technique

Quote Originally Posted by Mandorich View Post

Are there differences in a standard classical approach to technique? Also, what is the protocol for long notes, do I let them ring or is tremolo always used? Are open strings a last resort, or a first choice?
    These choices depend on the material and the decisions made by the musical director, so there is no "standard classical approach". In much of the "Golden Era" (late 19th/early 20th century) repertoire, the default is to tremolo everything from a quarter note up, but even that depends on the tempo of the piece -- we have some pieces where quarters are played single-stroke and other where even the eighths are tremoloed. However, this rule doesn't hold for material that is either older (in pre-19th century music, I would use tremolo very sparingly as an occasional effect only) or more modern (composers of recent mandolin music are likely to indicate explicitly in the score which notes should be played tremolo, and the desired musical effect often depends on these directions being followed). Most importantly, in an orchestral setting you need to agree at the outset where to use tremolo, as it sounds terrible if half of you do and the others don't. So, simply ask at the start of each piece where they want tremolo and you will be fine.

As to open strings or closed position, you have a bit more liberty: sometimes it's explicitly noted and sometimes the musical context requires one choice or the other -- you may want the open note to ring out, or you may want to play in closed position for better legato in a phrase, and occasionally the fingering of a phrase demands a particular way of playing it. In the mandolin world, there is generally more acceptance of open notes than in violin playing, so I wouldn't fret too much about it. Again, it would be good if everybody makes the same choices as to open strings, but discrepancies are less obvious than with tremolo.

Generally, I'm sure that with your background you will find playing in a mandolin orchestra very straightforward. If in doubt about how they want to play any particular passage, just discuss it during rehearsals and you'll be fine.

Have fun -- playing in an ensemble/orchestra is a blast!

Martin
    Last edited by Martin Jonas; Feb-05-2014 at 8:06pm.

I agree with Martin. Ask about the "tremolo rule" for any given piece. On open vs. closed - often an open A string doesn't sound so hot - but I will tend to play open strings on a rising phrase and go for closed on a descending one as that helps eliminate notes ringing longer than the note value.

If you're playing with the orchestra now, does that mean you'll be playing with them at the CMSA Convention there in October? If so, TERRIFIC!
    Dotty

I played for many years in the New York Mandolin Orchestra and Martin covered whatever I would have said in excellent detail. Most mandolin orchestras are pretty informal, too. Are you playing with the Oregon Mandolin Orchestra?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks for the responses, I'm feeling a lot more at ease. I'm excited to play in a large ensemble and also to expand my musical palette. And yes it is the Oregon Mandolin Orchestra, I'll let you know how it goes after the rehearsal next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandorich View Post
    Thanks for the responses, I'm feeling a lot more at ease. I'm excited to play in a large ensemble and also to expand my musical palette. And yes it is the Oregon Mandolin Orchestra, I'll let you know how it goes after the rehearsal next week.
    I can't add any additional sagely advice pertaining to your original question. However, I am sure I speak for the group when I say welcome to the OMO. We look forward to your joining us.
    MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole

Thanks MLT. I'm looking forward to playing on Tuesday.