Thread: Strap lock

Default Strap lock

Hey folks:

Disclaimer: i have looked at old posts on the topic!

I want to use a strap lock on the endpin of my Weber Black Ice.

What are the implications/issues of installing one?

As always, thank you.

Rick

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Default Re: Strap lock

Jim Dunlop do a simple black plastic disc one which is cheap, readily-available, effective and easy to take on and off without any modification to the original endpin.

Are you inclined to replace the end button with one that goes with the strap lock system?

which system did you have in mind?
    this one is non intrusive .. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware...ap_System.html

of course a strap lock on a tapered end pin and then having the pin come out anyhow,
    is not much of a Gain..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Go to EBay and type in "Dunlop Ergo Lok" strap lock and see of it might work for you. It's a small piece of molded plastic that fits over the strap when it is on the end pin. It's about $5.00 plus shipping. I've got one coming in the mail so I can't attest to its use, yet, but for just a few dollars, I thought it was worth a try.

Mandolin cafe rocks. Thanks! Exactly the info i needed!

You might try one of those flat plastic tabs that holds bread bags closed.

7. The following members say thank you to dan in va for this post:

I have used the Dunlap plastic lock thing on a few guitars but never a mandolin. Its a touch cludgy to used but it works without any modifications to the instrument.

I have a Dunlop 'Ergo Lok' 'thingy' & it's useless !. It would be ok if the part that turns to actually lock the thing on there, wasn't sliding around as though it was on wet ice.It's so loose that it rotates,thus opening up the endpin hole so it could come off. I use something that was recommended by a few Cafe members,one of the red rubber sealing washers that come on bottles of Grolsch lager.Put your strap loop over the endpin,pop the washer over the top & it'll stay put unless you really tug hard on the strap. The added advantage of that is that you get to drink the lager as well - always an aid to good pickin',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

10. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Jim 

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I have a Dunlop 'Ergo Lok' 'thingy' & it's useless !. It would be ok if the part that turns to actually lock the thing on there, wasn't sliding around as though it was on wet ice.It's so loose that it rotates,thus opening up the endpin hole so it could come off.
    I think you must have a duff one there. The several that I have acquired over the years are all fairly tight!

Another option are Fender Strap Locks. They are just a rubber washer that slip over the top of your strap end and hold it in place. 4 for $3.99.

Pete
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

Planet Waves Elliptical End Pins work really well. Simple and secure. Available in gold, black, and chrome.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pw_prod_PWEEP302_main_2.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	113556

Grolsch beer with the reclosable stopper has a nice red rubber ring that can make a dandy strap lock, plus you get to drink the beer.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard Eskite For This Useful Post:

Depending on why you want the strap lock I've always admired the simplicity of the Hans Brentrup method.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hans_strap.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	113568  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I use the plastic kind on my cheap electric. For an expensive instrument why cheap out on the straplok?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Eskite View Post
    Grolsch beer with the reclosable stopper has a nice red rubber ring that can make a dandy strap lock, plus you get to drink the beer.
    +1

I have used this method for years. If only the beer would have lasted as long.

Richard - I'm inclined to agree with you. But,until the thing arrives you don't know if it's going to be a good or bad one.I certainly wouldn't buy another one. The rubber grommet that i use now works perfectly well on my Weber.I use a black rubber washer on my Lebeda,which again,works fine. The Fender 'Strap Locks' seem to have 'borrowed' that idea,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

I found a nice rubber ring like the Grolsch at my hardware store that was in black and matches the strap.

Haven't thought about it in a few years as it took care of this issue permanently.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

PostScript:

So I bought a Dunlop strap look. Works fine but feels clunky and overly "much." Sigh.

Rubber washers it is!

Thanks again to all.

My strap lock came in the mail and I've put it on my Eastman. It works, but I can't really say that I like the way it looks. It's a bit much on the mandolin IMO. It might look more in proportion on a guitar.

I've used the Dunlop style for years. It works great. Some people seem to be concerned about the aesthetics of it but my main concern is the safety of the instrument. It may not be polished and shiny like the mandolin but it's not ugly. It's tucked away on the end and most people won't see it if they're not looking for it.

There are occasions when I have to move the mandolin out of the way to adjust the amps, mixer or equalizer. Sure, I can set the mandolin aside but moving it to my side or back is more convenient and the strap lock holds the instrument safely.

I know eBay is one source for the locks but many music stores also carry them.

Go to your favorite hardware store and get a package of these. They work even with an end pin jack, and come three to a package so you have some spares in case they ever break.

Name:	Washer.jpeg 
Views:	219 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	113663
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

As posted in another thread, I've use the following method to secure my strap on the endpin:

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	114027

Fastening the strap to the end pin, then running under the tailpiece +/- refastening to the endpin has several advantages- you have the stability of the tailpiece, the redundancy of two holes secured to the endpin- the second reinforces the first, and the strap pressure keeps the endpin in place.

Works for me, YMMV

Certified schooner-rat Neoclinus's Avatar

After some problems with strap slippage (once almost dropping my mando!) I used a similar trick to the rubber washer, only I made it out of thick leather. I cut a round piece of maybe 2mm leather about an inch in diameter and made a slit in the middle just wide enough to push around the button. Works great, very secure thanks to the stiffness of the leather and (in my opinion) looks nicer than a piece of plastic or metal on the end of the instrument. Anyway, that's my .02 cents...
    The loop on the Brentrup looks quite nice too! Good idea.
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all." -Douglas Adams

Elkhorn F-5 cocobolo & red cedar, 1896 Cole's Eclipse 4000 banjo, ca. 1880's S.S. Stewart 'lady Stewart' openback banjo, et al...