Thread: 1951 Epiphone Zephyr electric mando

Default 1951 Epiphone Zephyr electric mando

Two of my interests are obscure vintage mandolins and pre-Gibson Epiphones, so I couldn't resist when I saw this one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5846.JPG 
Views:	357 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	112542 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5848.JPG 
Views:	322 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	112543 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5851.JPG 
Views:	330 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	112544 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5850.JPG 
Views:	318 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	112545

It was built in 1951, and it's mostly original. The pickguard rotted away over time (as happens to the plastic parts on many Epiphones from the era) and was replaced with a reasonable replica. The outgassing from the original guard caused some heavy checking to the finish and a little decay of the binding, but it's very localized and mostly covered by the new guard. It came with newer knobs, so I borrowed some correct ones from another instrument for the photos. The body is all laminated maple, and there's a light birdseye pattern on the back.

The neck is very chunky to compensate for the lack of a truss rod, but there is only a little relief and it plays well up the neck with medium strings. The sound is very crisp and clear, becoming smooth and jazzy with a small turn of the tone knob. It's not as shrill as you might expect given the position of the pickup so close to the bridge. The "New York" style pickup is one of the quietest single-coil pickups I've heard, probably due to the solid metal cover. Balance across the strings is good but not perfect because the poles can't be raised much before they hit the strings. Still, the mandolin has pretty hot output and good sustain for a hollowbody.
    www.OldFrets.com: the obscure side of vintage instruments.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nmiller For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 1951 Epiphone Zephyr electric mando

Pre-Gib Epis are classy rigs in any variety. I always love em to death when they're in the shop. Enjoy & thanks for posting!

I love Epiphones. They still don't get as much respect as they deserve. One of my favorite archtops is my 1934 roundhole Spartan.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Cute! I had the matching guitar model from the same era, some decades back. It too had a chunky neck, a V-shape that I filed down to suit me (yes, filed). And it also had the string balance problem— I remember I had to remove the B-string screw entirely to get a reasonable match with the G. Really good basic instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    One of my favorite archtops is my 1934 roundhole Spartan.
    I also love oval-hole archtops! I'll be that's a great guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clausen View Post
    And it also had the string balance problem— I remember I had to remove the B-string screw entirely to get a reasonable match with the G.
    It's kind of odd, considering that Epiphone patented the first pickup with individual string adjustment. I have a few Epi lap steels from the '30s through the late '40s, and they all have better balance than this mandolin - even those without adjustable pickups.

I have a Zephyr guitar. Love it! Love Epi's. This is something cool I've never seen or even heard of!
    RB - (Wolfman Bob)
    Lawrence Smart - 2 Point
    Flatiron - F5 - Artist
    Gibson - F12
    Gibson - A-50
    Flatiron - Pancake
    Fender FM 60 E

Quote Originally Posted by nmiller View Post
    I also love oval-hole archtops! I'll be that's a great guitar.
    I was selling at a big guitar show quite a few years ago in Boston and a guy came in with the Epiphone. I was trying to sell and not buy. But I played it and it was in great shape and sounded wonderful. I told him to take it around and if no one else bought it i would make him an offer. He came back to me after about half an hour and I bought it for a reasonable price. My friend and I sat around at a lull and played some tunes and at least two or three of the dealers came up to me and offered to buy it from me. Strange... where were they when it was readily available?

Non-cutaway, roundhole archtops are not the most desirable on the vintage market and Epiphones even less than Gibsons (with the exception of David Rawlings fans). OTOH it is a really nice balanced guitar, great for rhythm swing playing but also a good one for even old time fiddle tune backup.

I believe that '34 was the only year that they made these with round holes. I have seen maybe two others but none in as good a shape as this one. I also love the exclamation point on the headstock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	epispartan34_ft.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	112568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	epispartan_back.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	112569  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Nice, and interesting for sure - any chance of a sound clip - would love to hear how that vintage pickup sounds!

Jim, I like your archtop guitar too: I recently repaired a really nice 1940 f-hole Harmony guitar for a friend, and it was nearly enough to tempt me over to the dark side

Great find - these are pretty rare. Actually all '50s Zephyr Mando examples I have documented (in the NY Epiphone research project I am working on) seem to be from the same serial number range - so possibly only one batch was produced. So it would be interesting to know the s/n of this one to compare.

Interstingly the acoustic mandos (Strand, Rivoli) changed to an oval soundhole when Epiphone reintroduced mandolins in 1950 after a 5-year pause, while the electric model stayed with f-holes.
    '23 A2-Z / '31 Adelphi / '32 F2 / '02 F5 Sam Bush
    Visit NY Epi Reg – The Unofficial New York Epiphone Registry

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    Nice, and interesting for sure - any chance of a sound clip - would love to hear how that vintage pickup sounds!
    I'll try and record one in the next couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterbilt View Post
    Great find - these are pretty rare. Actually all '50s Zephyr Mando examples I have documented (in the NY Epiphone research project I am working on) seem to be from the same serial number range - so possibly only one batch was produced. So it would be interesting to know the s/n of this one to compare.
    The serial is 62061. This is actually the second Zephyr I've had. The other was a blonde one with the pickup a bit closer to the neck, and I sold it because it needed more work than I wanted to pay for.

What's the story on this Epiphone research? I have four Epi lap steels from '35 through '49 and I'm always curious to learn what I can about them.

Quote Originally Posted by nmiller View Post
    I'll try and record one in the next couple of days.

The serial is 62061. This is actually the second Zephyr I've had. The other was a blonde one with the pickup a bit closer to the neck, and I sold it because it needed more work than I wanted to pay for.

What's the story on this Epiphone research? I have four Epi lap steels from '35 through '49 and I'm always curious to learn what I can about them.
    Thanks - s/n 62061 is obviously from the same batch as the other '50s Zephyr Mandos in my database which are in the s/n range between 62043 and 62065. Interestingly, their features vary slightly, eg pickup position and fretboard inlays.

My NY Epiphone research project: Over the last few years I have been collecting info about surviving Epiphone instruments (pre-Kalamazoo era) - with s/n, model, feature descriptions, and photos. Today my database includes c. 2500 documented instruments, with a total of 18500 photos. My goal is to make the info available in the near future - on a website similar to and inspired by Dan Beimborn's great Mandolin Archive. When it's ready I will announce it in this and other forums.

Owners of pre-1957 Epiphone instruments are welcome to contribute info. Also if you have specific questions about Epiphone instruments and their history etc. - just send me a PM. I love to discuss this stuff...

Masterbit, I don't know if you have this information but Molly Kay over at Talkbass has been documenting Epiphone upright bass history. Here is a link to her site. http://www.bassmonkey.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
    Masterbit, I don't know if you have this information but Molly Kay over at Talkbass has been documenting Epiphone upright bass history. Here is a link to her site. http://www.bassmonkey.net/
    Nevin - thanks - yes, I know it, excellent website!

My research does not include basses or banjos at this time. I focus on the acoustic and electric guitar (incl Hawaiian) and mando family instruments plus amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterbilt View Post
    Thanks - s/n 62061 is obviously from the same batch as the other '50s Zephyr Mandos in my database which are in the s/n range between 62043 and 62065. Interestingly, their features vary slightly, eg pickup position and fretboard inlays.

My NY Epiphone research project: Over the last few years I have been collecting info about surviving Epiphone instruments (pre-Kalamazoo era) - with s/n, model, feature descriptions, and photos. Today my database includes c. 2500 documented instruments, with a total of 18500 photos. My goal is to make the info available in the near future - on a website similar to and inspired by Dan Beimborn's great Mandolin Archive. When it's ready I will announce it in this and other forums.

Owners of pre-1957 Epiphone instruments are welcome to contribute info. Also if you have specific questions about Epiphone instruments and their history etc. - just send me a PM. I love to discuss this stuff...
    Thanks - this sounds like a great idea. I feel like Epiphone doesn't get the respect it deserves now that an entire generation of guitarists know it only as a cheaper import brand. Here are my steels for your database:

1935 Electrophone, no serial
    1936 Model M (s/n 334)
    1938 Model C with matching amp (s/n 1877 and 1414, respectively)
    ca. 1949 Duo Console (s/n 100036)

Those steels are very cool, Noah. I esp like that "E" amp set. Epiphone was a great company from its beginnings with House of Stathopoulo thru Epi and until the end. I love some of the more oddball things and would love to get an Epiphone upright bass one day. A friend of mine keeps pestering me to sell him my exclamation point Spartan but it is not going anywhere anytime soon.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Noah - thanks, great collection and website, excellent photos and info, too! Included in my database.
    Jim - love those exclamation point headstocks... my '34 Zenith has one, too. Below a few of our prewar Epiphones.
    Felix

18. The following members say thank you to Masterbilt for this post:

I've posted about this before on this forum, and not sure if you already know this, but the book Swing Era New York - The Jazz Photographs of Charles Peterson contains several vintage photographs of prewar Epi archtops, mostly tenors and plectrums played by Eddie Condon. I really love the sensuous curves of the noncutaway Epis, along with the neat banjo-ish headstocks and inlays. It's been awhile since I've looked at my copy, but I'm guessing there may be some six stringers in there too. NFI

I am rewiring the pick up on one of these right now and I am having trouble. I am pretty new to wiring and followed a diagram. There are three wires coming out of the pick up. A white thicker gauge and two green cloth with four very small gauge wires inside. The white and green were previously wired together. Any help would be appreciated.

3 wires can be hot/cold/ground.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -