Thread: My mandolin definitely needs a set up!

Default My mandolin definitely needs a set up!

Now I've tuned my mandolin up with an app, so each unison is tuned precisely (I have a very good ear for tuning) but when I fret it goes out. Just listen to this soundclip, me playing a part of When I'm Dead and Gone by Mcguiness flint. An intonation issue!

The chords are GD and A. Now G doesnt sound too bad but A is awful!
    I noticed when I fret it goes flat on some notes and sharp on others.
    Also arent you supposed to be able to fret at the 7th fret and get the note of the next course down? Not so with this machine!
    No doubt the bridge position is off. the action isnt too bad, I dont think it needs lowering. Just needs that bridge moving and maybe loweing.

Default Re: My mandolin definitely needs a set up!

Get the ebook from Rob Meldrum and use the directions in it - I learned so much and my mandolin sounds much better.

You can just ask for it from him by email - see the third post in this thread.
    I am always doing that which I cannot do,
    in order that I may learn how to do it.

- Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by Astabeth View Post
    Get the ebook from Rob Meldrum and use the directions in it - I learned so much and my mandolin sounds much better.

You can just ask for it from him by email - see the third post in this thread.
    Already got it. Just need time to sit down with it. But it sounds heavy, it mentions tools. When I think all I need to do is check harmonics/fretted note at the 12th fret and move the bridge back/forward accordingly.

You may need some fretwork. I had to take my new Kentucky KM-150 to a (fantastic) local luthier because I thought the action just needed to be raised. He found some uneven frets and hammered them down for me. Made a huge difference. Like you, when mine was in tune it would get flatter and flatter sounding the farther up the fretboard I worked.

Rob's e-book looks great and may be a good resource to you. However, I wasn't brave enough to try that myself since I'm just getting into it! Good luck with your mando. Whether you do the work or have someone else do it, it will sound like another instrument entirely! (However since you're not 100% of what it needs, it may be best for a pro to look it over. It shouldn't cost much.)

Im just gonna try setting the intonation first, see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by CSIMelissa View Post
    You may need some fretwork. I had to take my new Kentucky KM-150 to a (fantastic) local luthier because I thought the action just needed to be raised. He found some uneven frets and hammered them down for me. Made a huge difference. Like you, when mine was in tune it would get flatter and flatter sounding the farther up the fretboard I worked.

Rob's e-book looks great and may be a good resource to you. However, I wasn't brave enough to try that myself since I'm just getting into it! Good luck with your mando. Whether you do the work or have someone else do it, it will sound like another
    instrument entirely! (However since you're not 100% of what it needs, it may be best for a pro to look it over. It shouldn't cost much.)
    Rob's ebook is a good place to start but like CSIMelissa, I am going to have to take my fairly new Eastman MD505 back to the music shop and have the Luthier do a complete set up on it, I am suspecting some high frets on this one as well.
    Playing:

2013 Girouard A5 S/N 63
    2013 Weber Gallatin A

Blog Entries

Agreed: Rob Meldrum's book is most helpful!

Best of luck!

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016