Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mandocello Videos

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandocello Videos

A Monzino mandocello in action -- sounding very nice indeed and lovely playing too....

Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

A little jazz...

Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Ovation mandocello and a beautiful bit of music -- sounds a bit like Shenandoah? Maybe it it the tune that gave rise to it? Anyway beautiful...

Bernie
    ____

who knew there was this much mandocello content out there,

anyway - I have to say I think tone wise the Weber in the Bach prelude video to me has the best overall tone, but I like a lot of the Gibsons as well,
    I am mixed about the Eastman's and guitar conversions.

thanks for fishing these out

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    who knew there was this much mandocello content out there,

anyway - I have to say I think tone wise the Weber in the Bach prelude video to me has the best overall tone, but I like a lot of the Gibsons as well,
    I am mixed about the Eastman's and guitar conversions.

thanks for fishing these out
    Thanks for the thoughts!

There at least a few more mandocello videos that I have seen previously and will get to adding them to this collection one of these days.

As to tone, I think that it is so hard to make comparisons on these YouTube videos -- because of all the compression and also because some are recorded with good equipment and some are recorded with webcams.

I also wonder if the oval and round hole mandocellos (with the sustain that most of them have) don't tend to sound a bit better sound when in a solo or duet setting? Perhaps the, in contrast, the f-hole instruments do better in a orchestral setting where projection is more important?

Of course, I agree that nearly everything with "Weber" on the headstock is going to sound good. Likewise there is no denying that those old Gibson K-1's, K-2's and K-4's really did set the standard for mandocellos -- at least in this part of the planet.

As to guitar bodied mandocellos? Well in a real sense the original K-5 was just that -- an L-5 guitar with a mandocello neck and hardware. I would very much like a chance to play the Gibson K-50 that I made back-to-back with an original K-5 sometime. I attended the Christmas concert of the Dayton Mandolin Orchestra a few days ago and was impressed at how well the two mandocellos projected -- both were jumbo guitar bodied instruments with f-holes.
    Bernie
    ____

I guess I lean more towards oval hole, but have heard some nice f hole as well. I guess I have played some Weber mandolins that I was not crazy about, and have never played any of their mandocellos so who am I to say, but as you know I love my Weber Octave. The few Gibson K's I have played have all been nice, I think they have the best necks, and I prefer those necks over standard guitar neck for 5ths turnings. Alas I would be happy with any mandocello I could get my hands on, just the Ovation for now, but it does the trick. I have played a few Gibson tenor guitars that were sweet.

Blog Entries

Had to add this one to the collection!!!

Bernie
    ____

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernie Daniel For This Useful Post:

I am liking that Mann. I have learned this year I use my electric stuff way more than my acoustics to gig, so... acoustics at home..
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

How about the anthem of modern mandocello?

still trying to turn dreams into memories

11. The following members say thank you to Marcus CA for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus CA View Post
    How about the anthem of modern mandocello?
    Definitely!! And then there is the great "when giant mandolins roamed the earth" classic Mike M video too! Need to dig that one up and get it on here. There are a bunch of Japanese and European mandocello videos --mostly classical -- that I have seen but need to find again too.
    Bernie
    ____

Blog Entries

Weber Yellowstone -- first of these I have heard with the f-hole configuration -- I think it sounds and looks great!

Bernie
    ____

14. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

That Weber Yellowstone is fantastic, looks like long scale 26 " ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandocelli.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	201.6 KB 
ID:	112139Someday I will develop the technical capacity to knock out these nice homemade videos. Meanwhile, here is a photo of two rare mandocellos (mandocelli?) fresh out of restoration. On the left hand is a Leland Brilliantone mandocello, Chicago-made, either by Regal or the Larson Brothers, 24" scale, top steeply arched over the braces but not carved, great sounding. I've got it tuned a whole step below an octave mandolin (F-C-G-D) and capo at the second fret to play tunes. The one on the right is an unlabeled piece probably by an Italian immigrant maker, canted top with a good deal of radius in the top and back. The headstock was originally configured for six strings, so we've left it that way, but it's so clearly a mando-family instrument that we've gone with four courses, two single and two double. Right now it's tuned as a 'cello, CGDA.

Thanks everyone, this is a great collection of things I can not afford! It shows me how many different ones are out there, and how they all sound different. The eastman sounds tinny compared to most standard shaped models.
    Its not a backwards guitar.

Lots of great stuff. Thought I was doing well on mine but now not so sure. Loving the heck out of mine. Play several hours every day. Can't get enough of that sound,even if I still can't make those big stretches. Thanks for all the videos. I think the 'cello deserves more attention and more sharing o into.

Blog Entries

Now Chris T. gets into the act!! On a Gilchrist mandocello no less!

Bernie
    ____

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bernie Daniel For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Here is another video with Tim O'Brien playing a mandocello made by Mike Kemnitzer (so is it a nugget mandocello then?) apparently some of the bass strings are tuned in octaves (like a 12-string guitar). Pat on the back for Mandomonte who found this one!

Bernie
    ____

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Here is another video with Tim O'Brien playing a mandocello made by Mike Kemnitzer (so is it a nugget mandocello then?) apparently some of the bass strings are tuned in octaves (like a 12-string guitar). Pat on the back for Mandomonte who found this one!
    It's not a mandocello. Kemnitzer and Tim call it a bouzouki, but most of us would recognize it as a guitar-bodied octave mandolin.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zoukboy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zoukboy View Post
    It's not a mandocello. Kemnitzer and Tim call it a bouzouki, but most of us would recognize it as a guitar-bodied octave mandolin.
    Interesting. The scale mentioned was 24" though so it might be pretty interesting to know what strings he is using to get GDAE on that scale and have the base strings tuned in octaves yet. Probably guitar strings?
    Bernie
    ____

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Stec View Post
    I left that same question on the youtube page.

I had to dig to answer my own question. St. Anne's Reel. There are TONS of versions in print and in youtube.

Interesting. The scale mentioned was 24" though so it might be pretty interesting to know what strings he is using to get GDAE on that scale and have the base strings tuned in octaves yet. Probably guitar strings?
    Might be the D'Addario J97 Bouzouki set.

Name:	51cCcdJxGFL._SY300_.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	121572

Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves2 View Post
    Might be the D'Addario J97 Bouzouki set.

Name:	51cCcdJxGFL._SY300_.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	121572
    No, that set is for Greek bouzouki (CFAD tuning). I bet he uses the D'Addario octave mandolin set.

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDe...e-0bbe06c1b18d

It's been a while since I have seen Tim's Kemnitzer but IIRC it was only the G course that was an octave pair.

Awesome but not standard mandocello tuning?

This is a Paul Hathway English mandocello in Irish bouzouki GDAE tuning.

The string courses are far lighter than the mandocello. It can be strung as a mandocello with nut and bridge changeover. Otherwise, its an option which Paul Hathway offers for musicians (like Jethro Tull) who own his superb mandocellos and bouzoukis.

Love his mandocellos. This must be the only English luthier made one linked in these pages

We're blurring the lines here. Long-scale, small and shallow-bodied bouzoukis won't cut it as Mandocellos, no matter what you do to the bridge and the nut. Guitar-bodied zouks and OM's are better candidates - specially the Arch-tops. Eastman started blurring the lines when they made their guitar-bodied Mandocellos and shipped them with lighter strings than the Gibson K family use. I personally think that using Octave string pairs on a Mandocello takes away from the rumbling low sounds that one expects from these monsters. Not that I'm a purist, but if it's tuned GDAE or GDAD let's stick with OM or Bouzouki nomenclature.

I have a Rozawood OM-5 (guitar-bodied OM with a 25" scale length - so more zouk than OM even - and I tune it GDAD and play it like a zouk). The maker - Roman Zajicec - has designed it as 'swappable' between an OM and a MC (recut the nut and saddle). It certainly has the size and robustness (yes, it will take .074 C strings) for the job. I have a Russel MC with an induced arch on top, it is a big body and DEEP and really puts out the MC growl - it's a 26" Scale so the stretches are tough, but I wouldn't dream of stringing it as an OM or Zouk - I don't think light strings would drive the top.