Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: DeMeglio serial numbers and lables

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: DeMeglio serial numbers and lables

Thanks, John.... Yes, I'm growing more familiar with (and fond of) 1193. Nice sound, easy playability, good intonation. I wouldn't call it an "accordion killer"-to meme a BG phrase-but it significantly projects and holds its own. Looks like brand new. You did a marvelous job with it.

3659 expands the scope of DeM's 1895 production which was the first of a string of boom years for them.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Hi Guys

As long as I can remember we've had this mandolin. I think my father purchased it during his travels in Europe before I was born. Unfortunately it was damaged by a removal company when we moved house - about 23 years back now - really sad as it's such a beautiful instrument. The mandolin has been in my possession since my father's passing and I've now only come to learn more about the mandolin through this thread and some other sources.

I've attached a photo for your database. It's an 1899 and the S/N is 8949 (or maybe 8919) I think. Looks like a model 1 (A).

It's been great reading through all your comments.

Regards,
    Marc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0963.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	157508

Some more:

14318, 1906, model 1A, Cav. Geovanni.
    18042, 1911, model 1, Cav Giovanni.

Here's how the trend looks, I've tidied it up a bit by removing obvious outliers:

Name:	demeglio chart.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	165162

Seems like boom time started around 1894/5, lasted about 4 or 5 years and then from 1900-10 there's fairly consistent production levels before things drop off quite markedly.

5. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

Thanks, John. My XL file has 116 examples (or 0.56% of DeMeglio's output.....)

Your estimates on the productivity eras seems right. They did keep at it at least during the beginning of the war years. No examples yet from '17 or '18 yet.

Still don't have a firm idea of why there were two concurrent serial number systems going on with both a "Giovanni DeM" and a "Cav. Giovanni DeM" putting out what appear to be very similar instruments between at least 1901 and 1905.

Maybe Vicenzo DeM ran the Cav. operation and Giovanni the Giovanni. Or maybe they were the same operation and just applied different labels.

And then there's the Ceccherini connection.....

I haven't played mine in a little bit. That's going to change this evening.

Mick

BTW, I just saw your most recent DeMeglio restoration in the classifieds. Nice work!
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Thanks to Tavy et al. A great example of how the collective wisdom/ knowledge of Café members can benefit us vintage instrument nerds.

Kevin
    Anglocelt
    mainly Irish & Scottish but open to all dance-oriented melodic music.
    Mandos: Gibson A2, Janish A5, Krishot F5, Taran Springwell, Shippey, Weber Elite A5; TM and OM by Dave Gregory, J E Dallas, Tobin & Davidson.

Smile Re: DeMeglio serial numbers and lables

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    Here's how the trend looks, I've tidied it up a bit by removing obvious outliers:

Name:	demeglio chart.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	165162

Seems like boom time started around 1894/5, lasted about 4 or 5 years and then from 1900-10 there's fairly consistent production levels before things drop off quite markedly.
    Hallo. Not sure if this info is helpful for your research? I have a Cav.Giovanni DeMeglio : June 1903 1A Serial No. 2532. Very good and tone good. Been in it's case for 45 years (Apart from the odd occasion). Has several spare string packets too. Thanks!

Grazie Mille, Greco.

Yes, indeed yours makes a nice addition. The 1903 date and serial number fit in where they are expected.

It is interesting that you say the instrument is a "Cav. Giovanni DeMeglio". Here's why:

The DeMeglio mandolins we have on record have two different Serial Numbering systems. One SN sequence are labeled as "Cav. Giovanni..." and the other as simply "Giovanni DeMeglio".

By 1903 the Cav. Giovanni SNs were at 12000+ while the Giovanni SNs were in the 2300-2500 range.

However, we have a DeMeglio mandolin SN 2549 with the Cav. Giovanni label. I thought this was an aberration but yours is very close in the SN sequence. We don't have any other examples of this crossing of names and SN sequence and none between your 2532 and the aforementioned 2549.

The dates and SNs track fairly well along between the two systems so one thought I had was that the SNs on the "Giovanni" labels just dropped the initial digit from the "Cav. Giovanni" sequence. If this were somehow plausible there are no collisions between numbers. There don't seem to be any cases where the numbering would be out of phase by the year on the label under this hypothesis. Why they would do this, I couldn't guess.

Minutia, of course, but interesting to us DeMeglio wonks.

Do you think you might be able to post some photos of the instrument and a nice clear shot of the label with SN? That would be awesome.

Thanks for posting!

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Default DeMeglio serial numbers and lables

[QUOTE=That would be awesome.
    Hallo Mick
    Thanks for your interest and the details about DeMeglio mandolins.I've also read some of the previous info on this thread. Some dedicated work here! I enclose photos of the label and of the instrument, as requested.
    I wonder now if I made a mistake: I took the first "digit" to be a slash:Now I can see my photo it could well be a "1". Interestingly,both would seem to slot nicely into their respective sequences datewise & numberwise?
    Also,out of interest,the label refers to Vincente Successor:Is this a common label?
    Thanks. Best wishes
    Chris
    Yes, indeed yours makes a nice addition. The 1903 date and serial number fit in where they are expected.

It is interesting that you say the instrument is a "Cav. Giovanni DeMeglio". Here's why:

The DeMeglio mandolins we have on record have two different Serial Numbering systems. One SN sequence are labeled as "Cav. Giovanni..." and the other as simply "Giovanni DeMeglio".

By 1903 the Cav. Giovanni SNs were at 12000+ while the Giovanni SNs were in the 2300-2500 range.

However, we have a DeMeglio mandolin SN 2549 with the Cav. Giovanni label. I thought this was an aberration but yours is very close in the SN sequence. We don't have any other examples of this crossing of names and SN sequence and none between your 2532 and the aforementioned 2549.

The dates and SNs track fairly well along between the two systems so one thought I had was that the SNs on the "Giovanni" labels just dropped the initial digit from the "Cav. Giovanni" sequence. If this were somehow plausible there are no collisions between numbers. There don't seem to be any cases where the numbering would be out of phase by the year on the label under this hypothesis. Why they would do this, I couldn't guess.

Minutia, of course, but interesting to us DeMeglio wonks.

Do you think you might be able to post some photos of the instrument and a nice clear shot of the label with SN? That would be awesome.

Thanks for posting!

Mick[/QUOTE]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	562.6 KB 
ID:	168191   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	547.9 KB 
ID:	168192  

Sorry.."VINCENZO".

Thanks, Chris. Yes, indeed that looks like a "1" to me.

There were a number of different label design types that they used and Vincenzo DeMeglio signature is on many from this period.
    We're away from home right now and I'm away from my files, but I'll check when we're back and post an updated assortment of the DeMeglio labels I have on file and see if other folks have any to add.

Do you play your DeMeglio?

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

[QUOTE=brunello97;1658292]

Do you play your DeMeglio?

Mick[Labels/Play]
    Thanks Mick.
    Yes,it would be interesting to see the variation in the DeMeglio labels over the years.Thanks very much.
    Unfortunately I could not do justice to such a fine instrument!However,a friend of mine is a Classical/Country/"Pop" Guitarist and he has played it and enthused about it!!
    All the Best ... Chris
    Last edited by Greco; Jun-06-2018 at 10:54am. Reason: Repetition!

Cav. Giovanni 1904 Model B #2676

Strangely out of sequence?

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	315.8 KB 
ID:	171379

Cav. Giovanni 1904 Model B #2676

Strangely out of sequence?

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	315.8 KB 
ID:	171379
    Thanks, J. I caught this one on the ebay listing, too.

This is the third 1904 DeMeglio I have in my files that flips over to the "Giovanni" numbering system while keeping the "Cav. Giovanni" label. I also have one date 1903 with the same crossover.

The examples aren't within a short cluster of instruments but across a range of serial numbers from 2549 to 2938. At least from the small sampling I have on record.

Certainly makes one wonder what was going on.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

16. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Model 1A, 1922, #20095.

Interesting the maker has changed to "Giovanni & Gherado de Meglio".

Model 1A, 1922, #20095.

Interesting the maker has changed to "Giovanni & Gherado de Meglio".

Thanks, John. I saw that one and made note. Approaching the outside limit of dates we have for DeMeglios.

Attached is the label from 20095.

I have another example of this in my files, but unfortunately the top part with the date is cropped out of the picture.

The 1920 date in the label is telling as a 1919 label I have is still touting Vincenzo DeM.

Interesting, though, that the 1922 label has a Vincenz_ DeM signature on line 1 (and maybe also on line 3). No sign of Gherado.

More head scratching.

Mick

Name:	DeMeglio_Giovanni-1922-SN20093-Label.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	217.9 KB 
ID:	171721  

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

To me it looks like Vincenzo (succsessor to Cav. Giovanni) have possibly sold or transferred the ownership of the company to Giovanni and Gherado (sole owners), while still being around supervising the business (at least still signing the labels).

20. The following members say thank you to vic-victor for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by vic-victor View Post
    To me it looks like Vincenzo (succsessor to Cav. Giovanni) have possibly sold or transferred the ownership of the company to Giovanni and Gherado (sole owners), while still being around supervising the business (at least still signing the labels).
    Perhaps this Giovanni (di Vicenzo) is the one featured on the other concurrent set of DeMeglios with their own system of serial numbers.

Mick

Name:	DeMeglio-#24-Label1.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	171727  

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

22. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Hi This is the first time I’ve posted anything on the forum and I’ve read with interest the serial no conversation. I’ve got a Giovanni DeMeglio mod 2 1896 with a very clear label serial no is 5019 and the instrument is in very good original condition.

24. The following members say thank you to Dave C for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
    Hi This is the first time I’ve posted anything on the forum and I’ve read with interest the serial no conversation. I’ve got a Giovanni DeMeglio mod 2 1896 with a very clear label serial no is 5019 and the instrument is in very good original condition.
    Thanks for letting us know - have fun with your mandolin!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
    Thanks, Dave! I'm late to seeing this. Do you have any photos you might post of your Model 2? Those slightly fancier models are not all that common.

5019 is the latest serial number we have on file from 1896 which is helpful in getting a sense of the scale of production DeMeglio was doing at that time. Currently the range of SNs we have on file from '96 go from 3889 to (now) 5019. Anyway you look at it, that's a lot of mandolins.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Broken model 1 on eBay, SN 15965, 1909.

28. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

Thanks, John. Duly recorded. This one has been up on the ebay a few times now, without selling. That's a bad crack...

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

> This one has been up on the ebay a few times now, without selling. That's a bad crack...

More like a small cavern!

1906 1A in Moscow No. 13871

Name:	1aa.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	210.3 KB 
ID:	175575Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1A.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	175574