Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: DeMeglio serial numbers and lables

Default Re: DeMeglio serial numbers and lables

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    Thanks, John. I saw that one this morning. Model 2 looks nice but for a few bits of headstock veneer. Not sure what condition the neck might be in.

I plan on putting in a few bids on this and see how the bidding goes. The shipping costs from the UK aren't as onerous as some I have seen.
    Did you end up bidding on this one? In the end it went for its starting bid of 150 Pounds, meaning there was only one bidder. A bit of a steal -- in retrospect maybe I should have bid, but I lost sight of it (and don't really need it anyway).

Martin

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Martin, I had thought about it and communicated with the seller. He seemed willing to ship to the US at what seemed like a reasonable price--I think 35 quid is what he told me--he struck me as a nice fellow. It appeared in good overall shape (Giovanni DeMeglio by the SN) but the neck looked rather sketchioso to me. I kind of backed off over that. I haven't been fiddling much with repairs of late as work has grown and groaned. I keep my eyes out but have become a bit more selective. Still, I like the DeMeglio vibe so they are on my radar.

Would love to hear a comp between your Ceccherini and a nice DeMeglio some day.....

salud!

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Dave Hynds says he has never seen another one of these, a DeMeglio mandola. Hopefully we can get the SN from him and possibly some pics and shot of the label.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Muy cool, Jim. Thanks for the video!

Have you contacted Dave about this? Would love to know more about it, particularly when it was made.

I have one DeMeglio mandola in my files without any corroborating information. It looks very unDeM but for the peghead and label--though it is labeled a model 1. Curious looking hybrid, while Dave's looks like the real thing.

Sounds pretty garish in the video but that could be mic placement, new strings etc.

Very cool, though.....

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DeMeglio-Mandola-Front.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	125959   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DeMeglio-Mandola-Back.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	125960   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DeMeglio-Mandola-Label.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	125961  

Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

I have a feeling that he uses the internal mic in his computer. There is a lot of distortion. No I have not contacted him.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I have a short question for a "meglio" label.

I bought this mandolin some weeks ago and its labeld "Michelle Meglio".

My guess is, that this "Michelle" is /was the son (figlio) from Giovanni deMeglio
    and build this mandolin after 1946 when the italian republic disestablished the aristocracy.

I didn't find some newer deMeglio Mandolins at all.
    When do they stop making mandolins?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meglio 1.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	127913

Name:	meglio 3.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	127914

Name:	meglio 7.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	127915

Name:	meglio 8.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	127916

Name:	meglio 9.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	127917

Name:	meglio 6.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	127918

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

The enclosed tuners look older than 1946, more like pre-1914. Perhaps another of the deMeglio copyists trying hard to be mistaken for a real one, like the Indian Givson mandolins?

Thanks, Martin. I would tend to agree with Graham that yours is a 'contemporary' of the DeMeglios (and perhaps a 'clone' as they are sometimes called) rather than a successor.

We have seen so many labels that announce the family lineage (or other association) with prominent makers. It would seem odd that a son of DeMeglio would not announce that on his label. (One "L" for the masculine Michele, btw ) I have a few Michele Meglios in my files, but your photo of the label is an improvement on the ones I have.

The latest dated DeMeglio I have in my (very nascent) list of serial numbers is 1923.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

There is a DeMeglio on ebay Australia at the moment sn 15485 and Model 0 from 1908. No bids and a starting price of A$275

I would like to know,
    what Dave has on his mind to this thing.

His offers neatly the same mandolin on his website:
    http://www.mandolinluthier.com/mando...or_sale_17.htm

There are some few informations to find on the net about "Michele Meglio" as son of Giovanni.
    But it seems as if there are a lot of Meglios in Napoli, so it is all only a guess

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Graham McDonald View Post
    There is a DeMeglio on ebay Australia at the moment sn 15485 and Model 0 from 1908. No bids and a starting price of A$275
    Thanks, Graham! Duly noted.

Curiously, in the ebay.au ad there is a note referencing another pair of De Meglios. Once from 1895 (which is already in the register) and another from 1914 which is the first from the WW1 years to appear since we've been tracking these.

Know way to know when in '14 it was made though....Been reading Chris Clark's "The Sleepwalkers" this winter, about the run up to WW1. Scary stuff.

Anyhow, from numbers we have recorded, De Meglio production between 1914 and 1919 looks like at around 350 units total, which was just about the same number produced in 1905 alone.

Not enough examples in the file yet to draw too many conclusions, but it is shaping up.

I'd be interested in knowing some things about yearly production in some of the other big name shops of the time: Calace and Embergher (surely someone has this info for LE.) Too many different Vinaccias to keep straight.

Wonkish to be sure but it's cold outside. I do about as well in the cold as I do with dairy products.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Veit View Post
    I would like to know,
    what Dave has on his mind to this thing.

His offers neatly the same mandolin on his website:
    http://www.mandolinluthier.com/mando...or_sale_17.htm

There are some few informations to find on the net about "Michele Meglio" as son of Giovanni.
    But it seems as if there are a lot of Meglios in Napoli, so it is all only a guess

Martin
    Sure looks like a De Meglio clone, Martin.

Hard to imagine Michele not touting himself as 'Son of Giovanni' if that were the case....

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

I think the seller was referencing the Bonham's auction for background?

Hot outside here. 30C/90F+ and thunderstorms expected later. Just thought you should know

I think the seller was referencing the Bonham's auction for background?

Hot outside here. 30C/90F+ and thunderstorms expected later. Just thought you should know
    Isn't it summertime down there?

It is 1 (one) degree outside this morning. But I am playing my De Meglio.

Idly, idealistically (optimistically) working up Idillio Primaverile......

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Know way to know when in '14 it was made though....Been reading Chris Clark's "The Sleepwalkers" this winter, about the run up to WW1. Scary stuff.
    For what it's worth, my Embergher Tipo A was made in 1915. One needs to keep in mind that Italy had another year of peace after the war started elsewhere, and only joined (on the opposite side to their pre-war treaty links) in 1915. Italy's statesmen do not have the excuse of the other nations of not knowing the implications of their actions: unlike in 1914, by 1915 it should have been apparent to everybody what a 20th century war means.

It is difficult to say what effect this would have had on Italian mandolin makers in 1914/15. While they would have been able to continue making mandolins to pre-war standards, much of their export markets (the UK, specifically) would have dried up. This may explain why my modest Tipo A has one of the best spruce tops I've ever seen: Embergher may still have been able to sell student models domestically, but buyers for a top line 5bis would have been few and far between in 1915.

I still don't know, however, how my Tipo A ended up in the hands of an opera singer from the company of the Berlin State Opera in the 1920s (whose grandson sold it to me).

Martin
    (apologies for the deviation from De Meglio)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    For what it's worth, my Embergher Tipo A was made in 1915. One needs to keep in mind that Italy had another year of peace after the war started elsewhere, and only joined (on the opposite side to their pre-war treaty links) in 1915. Italy's statesmen do not have the excuse of the other nations of not knowing the implications of their actions: unlike in 1914, by 1915 it should have been apparent to everybody what a 20th century war means.

It is difficult to say what effect this would have had on Italian mandolin makers in 1914/15. While they would have been able to continue making mandolins to pre-war standards, much of their export markets (the UK, specifically) would have dried up. This may explain why my modest Tipo A has one of the best spruce tops I've ever seen: Embergher may still have been able to sell student models domestically, but buyers for a top line 5bis would have been few and far between in 1915.

I still don't know, however, how my Tipo A ended up in the hands of an opera singer from the company of the Berlin State Opera in the 1920s (whose grandson sold it to me).

Martin
    (apologies for the deviation from De Meglio)
    No worries, Martin, and certainly this is no diversion. This is a thread about De Meglios.... but related tangentiallery conversation is more than welcome.

Thanks for the update on the war timing. You latched on to my thinking--while 1914 Italy was not in the war yet (but certainly was scheming for territory in the NE) markets and even shipping routes were no doubt disrupted.

I'm only up to about January 1913 in the Clark book. Good reading, but it is like watching a train wreck slowly happening.

Mick
    Last edited by brunello97; Jan-08-2015 at 6:30pm.

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Has anyone seen a fluted back DeMeglio? Looks like they didn't bother even with fancier models.

Quote Originally Posted by vic-victor View Post
    Has anyone seen a fluted back DeMeglio? Looks like they didn't bother even with fancier models.
    I haven't seen a fluted back De Meglio, Victor. They have produced a Model 2 which has a higher degree of ornamentation but not modification to the basic bowl-making.

I think they knew their target market and made work accordingly: very good quality work, consistently produced at what appears to be a reasonably high volume. I have had few DeMeglios apart and the inside work is very clean, very well done.

This may be loopy comparison but I liken them to the L+H Washburn line mandolins from the period and the '00 and '10s Gibson A models: solid, dependable, well-made mandolins of exceptional quality. Not the highest order of the day, but that is praising with faint damnation. Lots of all of them still around and they are still a pleasure to play and are making great music.

BTW, I saw a De Meglio recently on ebay with what appeared to be a maple bowl. Not sure if I had seen one of those before.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Thanks Mick, I thought the same way Re: fluted back. I've also seen that De Meglio on ebay. Looks interesting.

Well thanks for that Graham, we're frozen in here this morning - I live on top of a steep hill that's one big sheet of ice this morning

Two more data points: Model 1(A), 1902, No 11933

and another Model 1(A), 1896, No 9313.

Both Cav. Giovanni DeMeglio.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    Two more data points: Model 1(A), 1902, No 11933

and another Model 1(A), 1896, No 9313.

Both Cav. Giovanni DeMeglio.
    Thanks, John. I saw the 1902 on Ebay today (and put in a bid!)

Might the 1896 be 4313? That would be consistent with the dating we have. A 9313 ought be in the 1899-1900 range.

Let me know what you think....

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Vincenzo De Meglio is on ebay Australia serial 12636 http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Antique-m...item3cf126cb39

24. The following members say thank you to vic-victor for this post:

Thanks, John. I saw the 1902 on Ebay today (and put in a bid!)

Might the 1896 be 4313? That would be consistent with the dating we have. A 9313 ought be in the 1899-1900 range.
    I think you're right, though Giovanni's handwriting is difficult to read (as ever!)

Name:	DSCF2454.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	129458

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    I think you're right, though Giovanni's handwriting is difficult to read (as ever!)

Name:	DSCF2454.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	129458
    Thanks for the great shot of the label, John. I love these old graphics on the Italian label layouts.

How many type faces / fonts are on there? 10? Amazing.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road