Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In The Shadow of Cold Mountain

Maybe the problem here is that some people are looking for credibility from Hollywood. Next you'll be wanting credibility from Washington, too. #
    Gary Blanchard
    Original Acoustic and Electric Music
    http://www.irismusica.net

Go Gary! I think what we're getting from both is incredibility

I haven't seen the special, but one of my bandmates loaned me the soundtrack CD at practice last night. Some nice playing from Mike Compton, Norman Blake, Stuart Duncan, and a few others, but I can't take Jack White's singing - or most of the others. I can listen to Dock Boggs, Clarence Ashley, and other old guys all day, but this has no authenticity. I'll save myself a trip to the movies and rent it later.

Man this thread is too long. I shouldn't add to it, but.

I spend most of my time on this Cafe arguing for people like Buzz Busby and Big Mon. Traditionalism. I love traditional bluegrass and mountain music.

The other day I was listening to a local radio station and the first number up was the Goins Family doing some gospel. Fantastic. Then Dr. Ralph with Jim Lauderdale. Blew my head right off. And then there was a terrific version of Sitting on Top of the World. Unlike any of the other 1,000 version I've heard. Kind of a cool 1920s swing lilt to the fiddling and wonderful phrasing on the singing. I waited in anticipation to here who it was, and lo and behold it was Jack White. If you had told me it was Jack White beforehand I might have been snobby like y'all. I will buy the CD just to get that performance.

I own "Songs from the Mountain" and like it a lot. But I have to admit some of Tim O'Brien's singing just doesn't do it for me. A little too adult contemporary. When I compare his Wayfaring Stranger to Bill and Pete Rowan it sounds like its a VH1 version. But this Jack White version of sitting on top of the world brought back some of the great weird mystery of the Harry Smith Anthology, Roscoe Holcomb. It was great. And you are all just snobs who listen with your eyes not your ears.

Flame on.
    Aaron Garrett

Quote Originally Posted by
    And you are all just snobs who listen with your eyes not your ears.
    Now, why did you have to go and add that last sentence? Up to that point, I was thinking, "This may or may not be an opinion I agree with, but it is well considered and well delivered. It is worth considering." Then you had insult your fellow board members who were only giving thier opinions. That puts a whole different spin on it.

Just being obnoxious and tongue in cheek. Note that I said I would have had the same reaction. I think many lovers of traditional music would. So don't take it seriously.

I seriously think that we often prejudge with our eyes and then evaluate the sounds in relation to them. That's just the way things are. That's also one of the pleasures of hearing something new you love on the radio, you can't do that!
    Aaron Garrett

Garrett:

That's cool. I will have to say that I tuned into the Cold Mountain A&E special with great anticipation. I love the book and its implications for old time music and I love the "Songs From the Mountain" CD. When I saw the Wayfaring Stranger performance, I really did not realize it was Jack White doing it at first. I was thinking, "That guy looks familiar, but I can't place him." So I was not prejudging who he was. He really did a very poor job of performing the tune, IMHO, and it is one of my favorite tunes. I later listened to the soundtrack and I will say he did somewhat better doing the tune in the studio. I am glad to hear there are some things he does well. I was not aware of the work you describe. But as I have said before, I am a passionate fan of a wide variety of music and performers and I fully support crossover artists, as long as they cross over well. It is MHO that White was ill chosen for this music and I also am not impressed with the White Stripes. No offense meant to anyone, except maybe Jack himself, and I doubt he is on this board.

I'm putting my support in for White Stripes. I like them, I like Jack. I saw the movie, didn't realize that's who it was, but I liked the version BECAUSE it was not sweet. It was poignant. I liked it in the same way that I appreciated the singing of the preacher in the little country church where I grew up. He couldn't carry a tune to save his life, but it didn't stop him from putting his soul into it.

Which brings me to the one thing that TRULY annoyed me about the movie, which is this: When everyone was singing in church, everyone was in perfect tune and tempo. Wouldn't happen! No raspy voices, no one a little out of tune and unable to keep the rhythm, come on....there's a total break from reality. What was that about Hollywood?

I'm going to go get the book now. And the soundtrack.

Aprilibre:

OK, let's agree to disagree on Jack White. However, my understanding of the church singing in the movie is that it is "Shape Note Singing," also known as "Fasola" or "Sacred Harp." It is a unique traditional music genre that was invented for rural congregations that did not have instruments or professional chior directors. I don't completely understand it, but a friend of mine is really into it and it seems they have methods in the tradition for keeping each other on key and on tempo. My friend tells me that the singing in the movie is the real deal.

So that's why they were doing that thing with their hands, too? And it wasn't a traditional sounding hymn? Hmmm....now I understand what you all were talking about in the previous posts. It was truly beautiful. I'm going to research that a little more. Thanks!

(I still don't believe EVERYONE sings beautifully, even with help....)

:)

yes it was an actual shape group from small Libery Baptist church in Henegar, Alabama that was recorded singing, but they were not the actors in the church in the movie, the group recorded about 25 songs for the movie. the song book "the Sacred Harp" seen in the movie is still being used.

should be Liberty

Henegar, Alabama - Sand Mountain - Boyhood home of The Louvin Brothers... Go figure.. (Charlie Louvin talks about he and Ira attending these "singings"/church services in a interview.. - the source of which I cannot recal at the moment). Moose.

Went to the movie theater last night and saw Cold Mt. It was a great movie. The book was unforgetable. Anyway there was some nice mandolin playing in a few of the scenes. Anyone no who is credited with the playing....Gary S

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

Didn't see the special, but the white stripes are a great rock band-as far as those go these days. A duo, just guitar and drums and they can pull it off. Ay least they are very creative. That said I'm sure it was horrible within that context. They have a little Led Zeppelin influence going on-Rock on