Thread: Charlie Poole Anthologies

Default Charlie Poole Anthologies

Can any of you recommend an anthology of recordings by Charlie Poole?
    Elderly has the JSP box set in stock. Is that a good one or is there one that is better?

Default Re: Charlie Poole Anthologies

As far as I know, "You Ain't Talkin' To Me" on Sony is the leader of the pack in Poole anthologies, having a beautiful booklet with art by Crumb and all his most famous recordings on three discs, as well as recordings of folks who influenced Poole. The JSP set might be a better deal, though.

Correction: The SONY box is CP's recordings compared side by side with recordings olf the same songs by contemporaries. The JSP set is all CP recordings prob more enclyclopedic. Some discussion about both these sets here with playlists etc.

BTW one person suggested that the re-mastering on the SONY set was excellent.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I purchased volumes 1, 2 & 3 of the County anthologies from Amazon. I'm satisfied with the song selection and the quality of the digital re-mastering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyADGjml7tw

What I realized from this is Charlie Pooles banjo just has that old sound, it wasn't just the result of the old recordings. Wat I mean is the old recordings aren't necessarily distorting the tone to a great degree if this makes sense. It sure survived a long time.

I've got Sony's CP anthology. I love it.
    More than my 2 cents.