Thread: Space/general differences in Superior fiberglass cases

Default Space/general differences in Superior fiberglass cases

Hey, y'all. New to the Cafe, I've been digging around the forum to find a case for an F style being built for me. Been quite happy with the fiberglass case that came with my Eastman archtop, though the black does warm up in no time at all while outdoors.

I travel quite a bit via packed-band-car & plane and figure one of the white Superior FG cases should do as money is too tight for a Calton or similar and it seems like a good enough, compact choice that wouldn't heat up as quickly as others would if forced to be in the sun for a bit, and has an accessory pocket whereas an Eastman case does not. From what I can tell, a Hiscox, ($220ish, right?) though likely tougher is slightly larger, could attract more heat being a darker color, and pushes a bit outside my budget especially after shipping.

Anyway, I see the white Superior standard sells for around $130 & the deluxe for around $170.
    Is the difference in price clearly reflected in the respective qualities of each case?
    Is the Deluxe fiberglass tougher/thicker? It appears to be slightly heavier.
    Think I saw somewhere on here that the space for the headstock differed significantly? This is for an F style of which I'm not sure of the dimensions yet. Do the slight differences in size affect whether one fits a certain mando better than the other?
    Any insights/suggestions/alternatives greatly appreciated.

I really don't want to sacrifice on quality/instrument safety to save money, but this instrument will need a case sooner than I'll have a few extra hundred bucks. I'd like to find something that can fly with me next month and generally travel safely while I clutch it, knowing my newborn is in there happy and thriving. Hoping to buy the right one and be done blah blah...avoiding return shipping depression.

Default Re: Space/general differences in Superior fiberglass cases

I ordered 3 F5 & 1 A5 cases directly from a dealer Saga catalog. There was no mention of standard or deluxe. The F5 was very tight for my Two Point mandolin. Even tighter with the Tone-gard. Storage was OK, enough for the basics. I tried two different F5's and there was no way due to the points. I would not order one blind. I may have to make some adjustments to the F5's I'm building just for the case.
    It's loosened up some for my two point and I get a lot of comments on it. YMMV.

From what I can tell, the ones with black interior are considered "standards" and seem to go for about $40 less than the "deluxe" ones with green interior that are slightly heavier.
    Thanks for the info, Doug. These seem to have enough of what I want for under $200, but something tells me the thing needs to fit...

Blog Entries

Not had any problems with fit regarding the 'old' model (green lining). The shell on these is somewhat heavier grade than the new (black lined) ones, but... they have less room around the headstock and no feet on the hinge side....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	superiorbluett.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	109371

You may need to add 'sticky' feet - otherwise, they lean/fall over...

Name:	superiorfeet.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	109372

They are a very compact, pretty strong case - but padding is not up to Calton/Pegasus/Hoffee standards. Not the same price, either.

Name:	cases.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	109373

The white ones do offer a big advantage in hot, direct sunlight.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Thanks for those details. You appear to have all the cases you need! Haven't found what appears to be a decent alternative in the price range or something of the like that I can try out locally, so I suppose I'll just bite the bullet and hope it fits.

I bought one of the white plastic Superior cases about two months ago, to replace an 8 year old travelite case that was popping all its screws. I have used the Superior case quite a lot recently, having just returned from some concerts in Europe.

I chose it for three reasons: the price, the looks, and its small size which I thought would come in handy for overhead storage on airplanes. It's elegant black-on-white looks have prompted strangers in airports to stop me to ask what's inside, something I never experienced with my old cases. My mandolin fits inside quite tightly, but that's OK, since it closes and locks just fine. However, it's the first case I've owned that makes me slip off my tone protector.

One big problem is that it falls over when you place it on its side, so you have to place it flat on the floor, or against a wall. That's enough of a reason for me not to buy another one. A more solvable problem is that the handle is uncomfortable to hold on to for any length of time. Before I take it on the road again, I plan to sew some padded material around the handle.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Blog Entries

Jim,

Is this one of the new ones (black hardware) that is still falling over? They were supposed to have fixed that.....

An alternative (if you can find any) are the Eastmans. These are a really good case, and have good, strong feet - in all the right places.

Name:	eastmanfeet.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	109496

Name:	superioreastman1.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	109499

Name:	eastmannorthfield.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	109497

They came in a range of quite 'eye catching' colours....

Name:	yelllow.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	211.8 KB 
ID:	109498
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Yah I looked at the Eastman as well. I mostly chose the Superior because I liked the Black-on-white color.

Yes mine has black buckles and rings. AND…it most definitely will not stay put, while on its side. What do you mean: "They were supposed to have fixed that….."? Mine is certainly not "fixed".

One other thing I do like about this new case, is the fact that I carefully wrote my email address with a black permanent marker around the lower edge of this white case, and it doesn't rub out.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)

I've got a white Superior F case for my Breedlove. I've had it 4 months or so, and I'm already shopping around for a better case to house the Kimble F5 I have on order. Good in a pinch, but you'll probably want better.
    Kimble #220
    R. Taylor Style 2 Sinker Redwood/Madagascar Rosewood

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nollman View Post
    Yes mine has black buckles and rings. AND…it most definitely will not stay put, while on its side. What do you mean: "They were supposed to have fixed that….."? Mine is certainly not "fixed".
    Interesting. There had been a lot of complaints about the total lack of a 'foot' on the Deluxe model. So... on the new 'Standard' they added one. There's a pic of Doug Edwards' example at the end of this thread.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ior+fiberglass

Looks like they only put one foot on there, leaving the hinge itself still in contact with the ground. The Eastman's have two, and stand on the hinge side very firmly.

Both the Superior and the Eastman are good 'general purpose' cases (foot defect excepted on the Superior), but are somewhat short of true 'flight case' rating. They are lighter and more compact, though, and also considerably less expensive....
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Mine has two feet on the hinge side. Still, it doesn't stay put, while on its side.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)

Well, a Superior case with black interior/hardware showed up this morning and I shipped it back this afternoon. It was an odd/tight fit for this mandolin! Even after packing it into the stiff new padding without the bridge on, (instrument should be finished next week!) the neck support kept the instrument from settling down into the case and it couldn't be closed in good conscience. $17 down after return shipping, hope the next buy is the one. A Hiscox Liteflite in ivory from Elderly might be the way to go now...