Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandola vs. Octave Mandolin

I play both. My mandola is an arch top F hole instrument, and has a beautiful "singing" voice, in the way that a mandolin does. I primarily use it in an acoustic duo with guitar, playing...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Monteleone Baby Grand Speciale with inlay

Agreed, those caught my attention as well.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Martin O17-T?

Enjoy! I have one, and it's a great little instrument. I think I prefer it in CGDA rather than GDAE. Tenor tuning seems to bring out something special, where in octave tuning it sounds more like a...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: The Problem with Making Your Own YouTube

your link has an F in it.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Lawrence Smart F style Mandola

Yeah I guess it is about time! Go to: chipbooth.com and check out the song Sugar Mountain in the music player.

This song was recorded a year or so ago with this mandola and one of Lawrence's...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandola or octave mando? MAS dilemma.

I play both, and if I had to only have one I would choose the mandola. It is the perfect instrument to accompany a guitar, and melody playing is so rich and sonorous. Don't get me wrong, the OM is...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Absolute Favorite Mandolin

That I own: '06 Gilchrist M3
    That I have played: John Reischman's Loar

118817 118818

(I've really got to take some better pictures someday...)
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Smart & Brock in latest Fretboard Journal

Very nice! Eli plays a Brock OM and custom oversized J45-ish style guitar, his bandmate Cahalen plays a Brock mandolin, and Eli just took delivery a couple of months ago of a Smart A style mandolin...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandola neck: 17" scale or mahogany

This sounds to me like you may not have played a good mandola. Much of my mandola experience is with Lawrence Smart's instruments, and you could not possibly describe them in this way. A good...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: From melody to chords

It sounds to me like you are trying to learn songs you have in memory but you may not be referencing recordings of them. What I suggest is find a recording and listen to the melody vs the...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Arpeggios vs. Pentatonic scale

Check out my article: Strategies For Improvising Part I "The Right Note at the Right Time". Arpeggios can be used as references for chords tones, and as such are an invaluable tool. Obviously you...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Clip on Mic Issues

I attach mine to a James tailpiece. I open the hinged top of the tailpiece as though you were going to change strings, clip the mic to it, which is very secure and allows for correct placement, and...
  13. Thread: Scales

by Chip Booth
    Replies
    Views

Re: Scales

Invaluable.
  14. Re: Differance Between Mandolins Finally learned

Appreciating acoustic tone has a learning curve. A person needs time and experience with a lot of instruments. I had owned or played dozens of nice instruments such as Gibson, Weber, Breedlove,...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin tone

I agree also, but tone is personal. The OP will just have to find out what works best for them. There is likely to be some trial and error, as we all know!
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Are lessons really worth it?

That, and I will add if the student is good. It's the student's job to apply what he is learning, keep up with lessons, and not assume that just showing up makes one a great player.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: What song made you want to play Mandolin?

Battle of Evermore
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Lawrence Smart Mandola and OM 2014

Next, an octave mandolin that is Lawrence's first version of a "junior" style instrument. It has a simple sunburst, single ply binding, minimal inlay and modest, yet still attractive woods. It is...
  19. Replies
    Views

Lawrence Smart Mandola and OM 2014

Lawrence recently completed several new instruments. First up, an F style mandola custom ordered by a Cafe member with Fern inlay and block abalone fret markers. Lawrence has recently made a change...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Croatian luthier introduction

Welcome aboard, beautiful work!
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Sarah Jarosz on NPR Tiny Desk Concert

Look close, it's actually a 6 string, essentially a 5 string with an extra lower string. It still has the reentrant "5th string". It's not what you normally think of as a 6 string guitar banjo thing.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Sarah Jarosz on NPR Tiny Desk Concert

I want to work in that office.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Help with Mandola gigging

I don't think the capo police are in force when discussing larger mandolin family instruments. Most folks just seem to be suggesting (correctly, IMO) that a mandola isn't well suited to play capo-ed...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber OM scale length?

I would go for the 22" for myself. I have played one 20" Weber and it was quite underwhelming. The instrument was very comfortable to play but didn't have much going on, and I feel like at least...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: The Loar Mandolin Opinions Needed

Sell them both and buy something nicer?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4