Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

If you believe the explanation, donating them would have the opposite effect. Does your school really need some crap, unplayable guitars?
  2. Re: Itzhak Pealman And John Denver Playing Bluegrass

Perlman is apparently quite versatile. A few years ago, I watched a video of him going to Poland and learning some Klezmer music. The folk musicians said his style definitely reflected his classical...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Im visiting Denver Colorado

I was totally going to suggest Denver Folklore Center and Olde Town Pickn Parlor, but colorado_al beat me to it. He's right, the more interesting mandolins at Olde Town Pickin' Parlor are on the wall...
  4. Re: Needing advice about oval-hole mandolins and bandolims

Remember that with mandolins, new does not guarantee no issues, and used does not necessarily mean "beat up." For instance, if you buy an instrument from one of our Cafe members, such as...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Ovation MM68AX

One of Ed's main points was that the MM68AX is not really worth $800 when you can get the MCS148 for $500. Then I saw a real US made MM68 on eBay. He had a $750 "Buy It Now" when it was first listed,...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Ovation MM68AX

I've played my MCS148 in sessions and it holds its own pretty well. Certainly not as loud as my A-style but it can do some decent background accompaniment, which is what I do anyway.
  7. Re: How to replace a songbook with an iPad, need to auto-scroll..

The advice to LEARN your tunes is excellent, but keep in mind that each of us in our own unique situation. Our band, for instance, knows four or five hours worth of music by heart, but I also keep a...
  8. Replies
    Views

Loop-end strings on Ovation mandolin

One of the big concerns some people have with Ovation mandolins is that they use ball-end strings, rather than the traditional loop-end strings common on most other mandolins. There are certainly...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Jam audiences -- Whaddaya think?

What I was commenting on was the dichotomy. In my world, I do play for pay. Just last night, our band entertained a pub full of customers, and the landlord paid us in cash and drinks. I don't do that...