Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

There have been a hundred threads on here where someone with (very) limited mandolin exposure declares a cheap mandolin to be "at least as good as a Gibson" or something of that ilk. There haven't...
  2. Re: Best power carving tool for arching and graduating tops and b

I have a Lancelot. Rough carves a top in 15 minutes. It's also capable of rough carving your intestines in less than a second. Scares the crap out of me, but boy does it carve quickly.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite part of instrument building?

Shaving the tone bars to shape and staining. Shaving tone bars lets me pretend I'm a craftsman who knows what I'm doing, and staining is just magic in how it brings the beauty of the wood out.
  4. Re: O Holy Night (solo mandolin instrumental)

Absolutely lovely!
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Nyckelharpa #1 complete. Failed to make a bow on time, so still don't know what it sounds like. Pretty pleased with the aesthetics, though.

6. Replies
    Views

No idea what this thing will sound like when it's done, but I'm pretty confident that the back will look alright.

7. Replies
    Views

Getting close to done with this monster. A few minor tweaks, and then disassembly, final sanding, stain and finish.

8. Thread: Shipping

by Magnus Geijer
    Replies
    Views

Re: Shipping

Seems to me it's largely about the local crew. Around here, UPS is good, USPS is pretty good, and FedEx is absolutely unrealistically bad, but I've seen people have the opposite experience elsewhere....
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: What is a "master luthier"?

I believe Master in this case is from an ancient Freblonian phrase meaning "in my opinion REALLY good".
  10. Re: ISO Solid Body Electric Mandolins - Good Makers? Components?

I tried a couple of 8-stringers and built one myself, and wasn't thrilled with any of them. Then went to a 4-string solidbody which I liked better, but it does tend to get shrill. Finally (so far,...
  11. Replies
    Views

[QUOTE=Dusepo;1900003]Cool! Are the sides of your nyckelharpa cut from solid? Is that the usual method of construction. I'd always assumed they were built like violins.

Yes, much to my surprise,...
  12. Re: I want to do an economic study of the careers of luthiers

Don't know if it's a datapoint you'd consider worthwhile, but I considered attempting full time building. Then spent a little time doing math, and came to the conclusion that I just couldn't see it...
  13. Replies
    Views

My first attempt at a nyckelharpa coming along. Sawed sides!
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Varnish vs Lacquer

For me it depends on color. Anything in the yellow-amber-red-brown ranges, I'll go with Tru-Oil. Blues, greens, black, grey, purple, it's lacquer. I have always wiped it on.

I prefer the feel of...
  15. Thread: Ghosted

by Magnus Geijer
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ghosted

Not on here, but on Marketplace and Craigslist it's become completely ridiculous, buyers and sellers both.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Four or five string vs. eight string

I've played around with 4, 5 and 8-string electrics, and they just do different things. My favorite, without question, is a 5-string octave semi-hollow, that I built basically as a scaled down...
  17. Replies
    Views

Smoking hot solos are sure to follow

Right?

18. Replies
    Views

Re: Spruce for kerfing

I have used spruce linings in a number of mandos, guitars and ukuleles. No issues. And as John mentioned, it's commonly used in violins.

Thanks,

Magnus
  19. Replies
    Views

Sides for my first attempt at a violin.
  20. Re: Holding on to your personal Holy Grail mandolin

For me, it appears to be this weirdo. Finished it 10 years ago, and haven't really felt the need for another acoustic mandolin since.
  21. Re: Trip to Kentucky, is Rosine worth a visit?

Didn't notice the RV part before. In Lexington, the Kentucky Horse Park has an excellent RV camp ground. Right outside Lexington, 30 minutes from Frankfort.

I went on a field trip with my...
  22. Re: Trip to Kentucky, is Rosine worth a visit?

Haven't been to Rosine, but as far as the distilleries go, I would recommend Buffalo Trace above any others. I don't believe they're currently part of the trail, but they have the best tours I've...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: top center strip

I haven't done a center strip, but this one had a fair amount of maple in the top. Can't say that I noticed any real difference in the sound compared to it's all spruce batch siblings.
  24. Replies
    Views

Just finished an Appalachian dulcimer for my wife. Took me a lot longer than expected, but that's the usual, I guess.

25. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave mando 4 or 5 courses?

This has been my favorite mandolin since I built it. GDAEB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrSjrTLrA3Q
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4