Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: The mandolin: Instrument of the year, 2023

“Classical music”, in my use, refers to composed, structured, and often notated music. Not an era. Mandolin was highly popular in the Baroque and Renaissance periods. Lost favor when orchestras...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: The mandolin: Instrument of the year, 2023

There's a much longer tradition and depth of classical mandolin music than any other genre. Mind open...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Left hand technique

Search for The Bickford Mandolin Method. Old text in PDF format. It has detailed instructions at the front for both left and right.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: I can’t find The Blues in my Mandolin

Could it be that you are missing being able to bend notes as effectively as on guitar, harmonica, sax....?
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Bach: Agnus Dei, No.26, BWV 232

Very nice.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips for moving up the neck needed

You may benefit from practicing scales and arpeggios up and down the neck. Once you do this, the notes in the upper range will become more familiar and shifting from low to high more comfortable.
  7. Re: How do you think of the fretboard - closed patterns or just n

For me, both. But patterns obviously arise due to the mandolin's tuning.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Picking technique on electric mandolin?

Thanks. More time with the ER-M this evening. Will be a learning curve but I am really enjoying the possibilities.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman Mandolin Advice

I just bought a 2016 Eastman MD615 for $950. A step above your 505. But you may want to hang out with the 505 for awhile. Build up some chops and get a better idea what tone you are after.
  10. Re: More on August Watters’ Exploring Classical Mandolin

I recently picked it up. Interesting suggestions for picking patterns. Not simply the down/up altering stroke. I can see this useful for a fluid style necessary in some classical and general...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Subscription Tutorial Sites

I'm a new subscriber to Peghead and the Beginner Course. I've picked up several techniques already that I'll put into practice. Looking forward to continuing. After this, and possibly the...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mastering a New Skill

We all know that some have a particular knack for making music. We've seen it. We also know that the "10,000 Hour Rule" has some merit.

We also probably know that some musicians simply had no...