Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: bridge taper

If you mean the tapered down height of the bridge/base, it's structural. It's a dance between the force of the downward pressure of the strings, the dynamics of the top structure (carved or flat top...
  2. Replies
    Views

Early Bluegrass in Canada

Check out this. Includes brief video.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/bluegrass-music-hassett-nova-scotia-brent-williams-birch-mountain-boys-1.5372663
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: 1990 Kentucky 4-string

They cost a little over $700 thirty years ago, IIRC ...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: 1990 Kentucky 4-string

I've sold three of these, I think ... but never for quite that much. They are cool instruments, though.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: local pick up

I bought a mandolin for a fellow member here and shipped it to him, so there might be a possibility. I was happy to do it I just did not want to get stuck with an instrument. The other option that IO...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: local pick up

Given your location I'm possibly closer to it than you but unfortunately on the wrong continent.

Why not post with the title "Is there someone near 'whereever' who could do me a favour" I've seen...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Tolerance Levels?

The biggest lesson learned for me just building a kit, was that you are going to make mistakes, and I made plenty. Probably the most noticeable was somehow letting my Dremel router lean, cutting the...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando identification

Clearly it's a Regal.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: mandocello string set

Start with an .018 or .020 A string, .030 or .032 for the D , .042 or .044 for G, and .056 or .058 for C. If something is loose or flabby, try moving up to the next largest size, but be careful. ...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Multi-Instrumentalist's Advice?

Everything works together to advance the other...

...except the banjo. That sucker will ruin you.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: headstock repair

Not scientificly said, but If its celluloid binding it shrinks its whole life. Even attached to the instrument its trying to shrink. Once it turns loose it will assume its shorter length. I've had...
  12. Replies
    Views

The Glamour of Being a Big Mandolin Star

Played a Wino Festival on Saturday. As I was backing my truck up to unload ,out of the corner of my eye, caught large mahogany sphere with a thin blue strip of material in the center of it. Took...
  13. Re: Best/cheap tenor with widest string spacing, tuned DGBE..

I was about to start on the mandolin, now I think I'll take up the viola instead:))
  14. Thread: Wide Nut

by DHopkins
    Replies
    Views

Re: Wide Nut

I'm not a math expert (English was my goodest subject) and all these numbers are confusing. How 'bout just making a decision based on what easiest to play (or is that simplifying it too much)?
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Slower is faster

Quote by a well known Nashville musician, "they are playing too darn fast, can't hear the music"
  16. Replies
    Views

Old mandolin info

Here are some photos from a 1940 Gibson catalog. I thought you might enjoy them. The photography is less than stellar, but it is what it is.
  17. Replies
    Views

Easy string changing

I keep seeing threads at the Cafe, and on other string instrument forums with people asking how to change strings. Many people seem to be afraid to tackle the task, and people make all sorts of...
  18. Replies
    Views

The oldest surviving banjo recording

A very interesting podcast: https://www.washingtonpost.com/podcasts/retropod/the-oldest-surviving-banjo-recording/?utm_term=.6ca5895ed7e7
  19. Thread: headstock repair

by rcc56
    Replies
    Views

We know that Titebond Original works and that people have had problems with Titebond II. I don't know about the III and I have not before heard of No-Drip or LePage. Perhaps someone from Canada can...
  20. Replies
    Views

In my opinion, the best repair for that would be to simply glue and clamp. Alignment and fit are critical for that to be the case, so however much time as it takes to set up a reliable, secure...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Alrite

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/msg/d/gibson-1917-alrite-mandolin/6617770598.html
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: hardened adhesive residue removal

Try naphtha. It has no effect on most finishes, it is available at hardware stores and paint stores (often labeled VM&P naphtha, that is "varnish maker's and painter's"). Also, Ronsonol lighter fluid...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: hardened adhesive residue removal

Most professional violin restorers use xylene (xylol in hardware stores) to clean instruments with a varnish finish. It will not affect most varnishes BUT one must test a small area at a time and use...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: K1 mandocello bridge, 2 types?

As noted in post #6! :)
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: K1 mandocello bridge, 2 types?

That instrument was made in 1910 [going by Spann's numbers], and would definitely have been shipped with the earlier type of bridge with removable inserts.
Page 1 of 2 1 2