Search:

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Gary Vessel Interview

one of our own gets some nice ink.

https://bluegrasstoday.com/california-report-luthier-and-picker-gary-vessel/
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD - Apitius Classic

188781 188782 188783

188784 I just got these about an hour ago from Oliver, here is my new Gal, just waiting on the case before he can ship so...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: To Cafe Members on the US West Coast

If anyone needs to escape to North Carolina let me know, we are closing on a new house soon and will have some extra space.
    Wish that we could send you some of our rain!
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: '77 D.Wm Halsey F5

Audio example: https://soundcloud.com/dennis-benjamin-523738788/taljin-andy-mp3 '77 Bill Halsey F5
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD Pomeroy Oval

Thanks for your comments. Cary, Don said it has J74 or EJ74 strings on it. I'll be changing those to my favorite Curt Mangan phosphor bronze strings when they start to go dead.

This is model PA-2B...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD Pomeroy Oval

Well I didn't do the tune or the mandolin justice but here's a Norman Blake tune for you on Pomeroy #264. Glad to hear from other Pomeroy owners!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75R4vKdObRA
  7. Replies
    Views

NMD Pomeroy Oval

This has been in the works for a few months. It arrived today and it's spectacular. The neck shape/size is perfect--extremely comfortable and fast and easy to get around on. Don made it custom for me...
  8. Replies
    Views

Once in a Lifetime Mandolin Find

Some weeks ago I happened to snag a 1929 Martin Style 20 which had been floating around GCs in the NYC area for some time. After the price had been greatly reduced, I decided to bite and take a...
  9. Replies
    Views

Old Marty Stuart pics

1975 my big brother Steve put 15 year old me in his 68 VW bug and we drove from NJ down to Williamsburg Bluegrass Festival. What a trip. What an experience. Big buzz was the young mandolin kid who...
  10. A tune I wrote for octave mandolin - Something Squirrelly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6m4KKE1WJs
    Tab
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Dennis Vance receives double transplant

I, too, wish all the best for Dennis and his family. They are great members of our community and wonderful people. I also want to express gratitude to the donor and the donor's family. They...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Value of a good restorer

Just about finished with this incredible violin. Brought to me about 10 months ago. Here are a few shots of before, during and after. Very challenging but very worth it. Built in Tourney Belgium in...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Apitius J Model

Here is mine, well in the stain, I just talked with Oliver the other day on the phone and he's doing the varnish and French polishing, all ready come mid-end September! He says its the best back he's...
  14. Replies
    Views

NMD Pava Pro

I am happy to share my new mandolin from the Mandolin Store. This is my Pava Pro Deluxe A5, with a varnish finish, torrefied top, one piece back, gold James tailpiece, gold Gotoh Tuners, ebony...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

I don't post here much, but so many things went wrong and had to be overcome to complete this pair of parlor guitars that I felt like showing them to someone.
    A matched pair, one rosewood one...
  16. Replies
    Views

Happy ending for stolen mandolin

A customer/friend had her mandolin stolen from her house a couple of years ago, an Old Wave she'd worn the finish off the back of the neck playing for 20 years. Made her another that she liked as...
  17. Replies
    Views

Jerry's Birthday Gig

Recently had a social distance gig for Jerry Garcia's birthday with my band Shakedown String band. It was a lot of fun and everyone was nicely distanced - so felt good doing it too. Figured I'd...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: What are you playing the blues on?

My 1930's Regal resonator!

8SD-AufwO6E

(blues starts at 1:41)
  19. Replies
    Views

For the country blues like you have described, you can't go wrong with a Kalamazoo! I think the mandolins have a wonderful blues sound and are generally easy to find, to play and to set-up. I have...
  20. Replies
    Views

Washburn A with mahogany back & ribs and spruce top. Been practicing bluesy licks, worked up a mandolin version of Kind Hearted Woman Blues based on RJ's original guitar style, and working through...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Waterloo Mandolin Released

New strings and a fun tune:

sxe1TJDwM3o&t=7s
  22. Replies
    Views

I play mainly on my two mandolins, a Godin A8, which I occasionally amplify, and an acoustic Espana. I like them both equally. I sometimes play older stuff (1920's, early 30's) on my Little Wonder...
  23. Replies
    Views

Blues is my main genre and I usually play my dolas or my OM but I’ll run scales on the flattop in between songs if I’m getting frustrated :grin:
  24. Replies
    Views

National RM-1
  25. Replies
    Views

I'm using an F-4 or a Trapdoor banjo-mandolin. I also have an A-Jr strung up in octaves. I've always thought that Charlie Patton preferred the Stella because it was ladder braced rather than X braced.
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4