Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Looking for Music Documentary Recommendations

A Mighty Wind.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: We don't need no steenking flat picks!

You should post a video playing rawhide at about 170. :grin:
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: New Frets!

Now, if I could only find a F hole with that ancient wood tone I'd stop looking.

There's a Loar in the classifieds. NFI :grin:
  4. Does anyone like the new green blue chip picks?

First off I have to say "wow" fast shipping. I ordered them right off this morning and I have to say that is fast shipping. I think they are just like the brown blue. I ordered three but ate one....
  5. Re: I can’t play mandolin -no, I’m telling you.

"Well,the world needs ditch diggers too."
    Judge Smails.
  6. Re: Need Advice on Selling/Upgrading Mandolin

[/COLOR]

HAHAHAHHAH - Ok then. :)
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Why do people only sell the great ones?

I am literally LMAO over this thread. It is so true. I also noticed that when certain brands or models of Mandolin get discussed on the forum they start to show up in the classifieds. I was labeled a...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: What strings are you currently playing?

Mapes custom set. 11.5 16 26 and 40 or 41. Occasionally J75's. Sometimes Black Diamond 11.5-41's or 11-40's.... Come to think of it, usually anything that is under 6 or 7 bucks at the time of...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Strings and setup

You may experience some binding in the nut. Also the action at the nut could be a little higher if they don't fit in the slots.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile's Loars

I agree. I said it before and I'll say it again. Close to 300k that he did not need to spend.
    IMOP of course.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Prettiest Peghead Inlays Ever

Sorry, couldn't resist. :grin:
  12. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

I really don't have an issue with them being pissed off. No one is taking Gils, Nuggets, or Kimble's apart and taking measurements. No one had a flower pot before them. No one is making a mandolin...
  13. Re: -If you could have any mandolin in the world….

I would like to have that reproduction of Bill's mandolin that was just recently made. Or the 20's fern that was for sale at TME a while ago, or Charlie D. signed MM or a Loar.
  14. Re: Man crosses the Atlantic in a barrel - with mando

Imagine having 127 days to play without anyone complaining about you doing anything else:grin:
  15. Re: What's the most fun way to learn the fretboard

Knowing all the notes on the fretboard without hesitation to me is the key to playing anything in any key. I feel it is more important than scales. You can play bad notes on a break as long as you...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F-5L thoughts

I mentioned my story in another post a bit back but my experience was not as successful. In 2016 I purchased a new one from a store on line and after playing it for a day and a half I sent it back....
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Luthier Paul Hostetter has passed away

RIP Paul.
  18. Replies
    Views

My July 2016 LaPlant

I got this really great instrument from Lloyd back in July of '16 and it really has really become a great mandolin. I am trying to get some good sound clips to post, but I thought I would get some...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Column: Where is Bluegrass Headed?

I'll just pick on a couple of instruments, banjo and mandolin. Just because you play them does not mean it's bluegrass. Trampled by turtles, Chris Thile, and you know the rest are just not bluegrass....
  20. Replies
    Views

1929 Fern at TME

Why can't they make em like that anymore? Instead of the stupid reddish finish?
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile does Bill Monroe

Bluegrass Boys = better. All boys. Thile's banjo player I bet is a monster though. played that song like nothing.

Thile is genius no doubt. just different. and that is ok. Just not pure. no big...
  22. Re: Free resources to learn playing in the keys of B and Bb

I am not being a smart aleck but what is so difficult in playing in b flat or b vs let's say c? Or a?
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Addario - Seeking Mandolin Beta Testers

I participated in the test. I did like the strings and if I recall I had them on for about 3 weeks. The only issue I had was I tend to like a little heavier string. Well I have kept up with this...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Addario - Seeking Mandolin Beta Testers

I've had mine on since Sunday. These are interesting strings. They feel great, have a great "pop" to them. Seem "tight" or have high tension but don't feel like it. However for me the tone is a...
  25. Replies
    Views

Curt Mangan strings

I pretty much use only DR MD 12 strings. I just tried the Curt Mangan bluegrass set 11.5 -41 on one of my instruments and I can say that I love them. It seems as though they take less tension to get...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3