Search:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Out of solidarity we will observe Blackout Tuesday

Since inception this site has attempted to serve as an oasis, a respite from the rest of the world, a place to relax, let down and get away from a lot of complicated news, hot button topics, and many...
  2. Replies
    Views

Finnish fiddle tune Kellarin kautta

Here's my attempt at Kellarin kautta by Otto Hotaikainen. Mandolin is my 1935 Gibson A-50 with elevated fretboard. Probably still a bit fast for schottish tempo. Didn't seem that fast when playing...
  3. Replies
    Views

Faraway Grandchild

Apologies to Dagger, this is to welcome our new grandchild, a happy event amid the general gloom.

She's just across town, but given current isolation requirements it will be a long time before we...
  4. Replies
    Views

Kala KA-GTR Tenor Guitar for under $160

If anyone is interested.

Kala is offering 20% off with discount code: PLAYON through April 30th.

https://kalabrand.com/collections/guitars/products/ka-gtr
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Social Distancing

Take up the pipes - bagpipes, Uilleann pipes, or Swedish sackpipa. You will be socially distanced and isolated. At least until you learn them.
  6. Replies
    Views

Social Distancing

Remember stay at least 6 feet from a banjo player———at all times.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Reduce costs pleased

The reason for the Collings price increase was widely communicated with their retailers and business partners, less so with consumers, but I saw plenty of evidence on the Forum here it got seen by...
  8. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Whoa whoa whoa! How did I get in here? :cool:

I'm pretty sure that Dawg or Chris could play the Rogue and pull it off.

Blessed are those that cannot hear the difference for they shall have more...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Arrangements for Tenor/Mandola?

It'd look kind of funny to use a bow worth my mandola or tenor, though.

Seriously ... great idea, thanks.
  10. I'll See You In My Dreams - Django transcribed for mandolin

Hey Friends, long time no see, hope you all are well. Transcribed this last year for Steve Smith's mando camp, made a youtube video after and have had a few requests for the transcription. Thought...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Post Mortem

Good grief...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Lyon & Healy Style A Professional

You are not allowed to sell instruments or promote your sales here in the forum. It is quite unnecessary to ask forum viewers to look at your ad; the ads get plenty of eyeballs already.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Ibanez Buyer beware

Some of C F Martin's "Little Martin" guitars are made of, basically, Formica; fiberboard and glue hot-pressed into a "board."

Martin calls it HPL -- High-Pressure Laminate. Sounds better than...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: tone woods for Octave Mandolin

Tbone, you're putting the cart before the horse. Pick a maker whose work you like and can afford. Then talk with them about what woods might suit you best.

I say this having made hundreds of OMs,...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Girouard Mandolins

Hi pheffernan, sorry for the late response. Busy time of year for us getting ready for the March Mandolin Festival. I did manage to get the blog updated, tone bars installed and f holes...
  16. Fumbling my way through Ravel's Bolero on an Eastman mandola...

...an MDA815, to be precise. Anyway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdiIzsZubMs
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Che Apalache

I'd heard OF these guys, but last night I actually HEARD them at a friend's house concert here in Los Angeles. I was blown away on so many levels. They're in town because of their Best Folk Album...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: 2020 NAMM Show Report

Thanks for your announcement Scott and it was very nice getting the chance to visit with you at NAMM and the Ranch. I'm happy to report that I've updated our ZETA website with pertinent info...
  19. Re: “one announcement we're privy to that will rock the industry”

It got the attention of other builders at the show, and plenty not there as well. Carlson is a big deal, has always been a big deal, and many of the people that worked under him at Flatiron are still...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: What under $1200 used tenors would you look at?

Take a look at the Kala Tenor Guitar. Dirt cheap but well made. Sometimes their setup is iffy (I have two and a friend bought another one. One of mine had a horrible setup but was a great learning...
  21. Re: Amateurish string change execution - can I keep, or is it rui

Does it hold pitch?
    If it does, don’t worry about it and do better next time, if it slips like deer guts on a door knob, make adjustments.
  22. Fender Tenor Tele - First Impressions

I my tenor tele came in yesterday, I quickly converted it to GDAE and have had about 24 hours with it. Here are my first thoughts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFbdzxlUWJc

Thanks,
    Baron
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: The end of my playing days.

Back in 2009 when I joined the Cafe, within a week I had a 'phone call from Ivan. He saw a new member from the UK and he reached out. Over the years we exchanged all kinds of music, he helped me with...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I pay for damage caused?

Was it in a stand or leaned up against a chair? It's nice to offer to pay and that is commendable but the owner should have placed It somewhere where it was safe. I've seen instruments fall because a...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Heads up! Nitrocellulose products dwindling

Toxic in the sense of causing personal harm to yourself when using it is one thing, toxic to the environment is another. If we continue to take a small picture, this little bit isn't hurting anything...
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4