Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Raining at sunset

Here's the tab from (I believe) that 3 minute link
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: The Thile Solo Bach Tour - Live, Fall of 2013

I think that the people who participate regularly on this website are in the incredibly small minority of people who know or care about the minutiae of instruments - construction and engineers and...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile Bach CD has Landed

Chris just posted a video of the entire G minor sonata. He's sitting on his couch, and the camera is pointed directly at him the whole time. Thought I'd link to it here for those obsessives like me...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: The Thile Solo Bach Tour - Live, Fall of 2013

Tour Stop Number One:
    It is hard to find words that adequately convey Chris Thile’s spectacular performance in Seattle last night. Chris’s interpretations of Bach are masterful and...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Good starter Bill Monroe Album

"The High Lonesome Sound" is my favorite and I would recommend having it but I wouldn't recommend it as a first album if you aren't familiar with Bill. You would have to get it on vinyl. One of the...
  6. Replies
    Views

I second the vote for 'Bluegrass Instrumentals'..It's a great album. Still have mine,though pretty worn out.
  7. Replies
    Views

I'd also recommend a non Monroe Cd from Butch Waller called "Golden Gate Promenade". It great Monroe tunes (for the most part), clean and available on iTunes. You won't be disappointed.
  8. Replies
    Views

This JSP set is pretty good...

It takes you from his early brother duet stuff up to some of the great classic bluegrass stuff. The second JSP set, which is more of Bill Monroe in the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Bluegrass Ramble

Great (very traditional) material, great singing, great band, great mandolin playing. Not available as a CD but easily found in LP (or cassette) form.
  10. Replies
    Views

If you don't want to spring for a 4-CD box set just yet, the 2-CD Anthology (~$20) is a good entry point. Lots of classic tracks starting from the early 1950s, when he really hit his stride (IMO).
  11. Replies
    Views

Bill's playing was a "fluid" thing over time....the mandolin of the 30's and early 40's wasn't the playing of the late 40's or early 50's and then on to the playing of the late 50's to mid 60's and...
  12. Replies
    Views

These are a good place to start:

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Bill-Monroe/dp/B000002OSF/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379719048&sr=8-1&keywords=Bill+Monroe+box+set
  13. Replies
    Views

A true album so to say (i.e. lp), Master of Bluegrass for some his instrumentals.
  14. Replies
    Views

This is from Fred Robbins site of BG Festival recordings that have been digitalized...there is a wealth of Monroe stuff from the contributors, all downloadable into mp3 format. Poke around and...
  15. Replies
    Views

Oddly enough, my favorite `bill monroe' album is Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe [which does have Monroe on it].

There really aren't must-have albums IMO, there's pieces of brilliance throughout his...
  16. Replies
    Views

Master of Bluegrass, Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe, Uncle Pen will get you started on a good foot.

There are some great DVD's, and much stuff on YouTube..."Southern flavor", "Jenny Lynn" w/Ali...
  17. Replies
    Views

Well get his 4 cd box set and that covers from the beginning to the end of his career. And has some great stuff, fast and slow. Gives ya an idea of his fills/backup/solos in his different eras. I...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Let's lobby for the mandolin. :)

Hey, my main instrument -- at least the one with the most formal training -- is the pedal steel guitar. An Emmons D-10 (two 10 string necks on the frame, eight pedals and at least four knee levers...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Case Cover Or Super Protective Case?

If I was in your shoes, I would pick up a beater mandolin and get Rob's free mandolin setup guide. That way you can jam all you want and not worry if you trash the beater mandolin.

If you are...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: There Is No Mandolin

Rhythm studies.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: One pick to rule them all

I own the 'Pick of Destiny', it is disguised as a Blue Chip TAD50-1R.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Dopplegangers

Sam Bush and Cafe Member Bernd Bannach

http://swampland.com/img/Image/articles/sambush/sambushsepia.jpg

http://www.sommerakademie-hohenaschau.de/kuenstler/bannach.jpg

You can find more pairs...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Jazz mandolin from the ground up!

Lots of good advice from some amazimg players here.

Funny as it sounds, so far nobody has mentioned Mike Marshall's Academy of Bluegrass. While I did learn some nice variations on old favorites...
  24. Thread: Jazzbo

by JEStanek
    Replies
    Views

Re: Jazzbo

Because we don't use the forums for doing business (it's in the posting guidelines). It keeps them less cluttered. Please post a wanted or classified ad in the Classifieds. It's free and gets far...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: The Loar:What's the Story?

My Llamas make dirt that look like raisins, sure don't taste like raisins:grin:
Page 1 of 2 1 2