Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Curious about the Bluegrass mandolin market segment

I bet it's been done. Almost nothing in this world is new (except maybe for the music of
    Valerie June.) Yakety Sax seems almost bluegrassy to me. I bet a BG band could back a good sax player and...
  2. Re: Rate my Logic: Choosing the Chinese over the USA Mando

I think if you buy a factory made instrument from a company like Weber or Gibson or Collings, you should expect a reasonably good setup, but maybe not ideal for you, personally. A luthier friend of...
  3. Re: Curious about the Bluegrass mandolin market segment

I think part of the problem here is that there are lots of different views of bluegrass. Why? Because it is still an evolving style. We here in America have really been blessed in our musical...
  4. Re: Curious about the Bluegrass mandolin market segment

Last year I was sitting out on my bench next to the river (I miss my houseboat!) and a neighbor walked up and asked if I knew how to play O Sole Mio. Thankfully, I did. In Oregon, strangeness is...
  5. Re: Rate my Logic: Choosing the Chinese over the USA Mando

Yeah. They are glued up chunks of wood. Most damage is repairable, even if attacked by a fireplace poker. And the scars become stories. I say get the one you like, make sure you've got insurance...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Appreciation for the Cafe

I'll add my +1. Best site on the Internet and I visit a lot of them. Best site management and best members. Of all the people who post here, I have yet to run across one who I really wish would go...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: New player and Mandolessons

The frets are a lot farther apart on the tenor guitar, so having each finger responsible for two frets would be quite challenging for most people. But two frets per finger is the norm on the...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Sweet mandolin waltzes

Thank you all for so many great suggestions. I play the Ashoken Farewell, Kentucky Waltz, and Tennessee Waltz virtually every single night and I've been in the mood to add another.

This is my...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Questions about jams and jamming

I don't think I've had that much fun in the last year, much less in 3:43 minutes...

I think this will probably be my objective.

We are in the throes of retiring right now. I have felt like...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: You don't know a fiddle tune until...

By that criteria I know almost everything.
  11. Thread: Pick Depth

by FatBear
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Depth

I'd like to make sure you really do understand it. I only used the word "blunt" to describe the shape as I perceive it, not to describe the usage. They certainly are blunt as opposed to "pointy"...
  12. Thread: Bach on tenor

by FatBear
    Replies
    Views

Re: Bach on tenor

I built it with 1-1/4" PVC and the 30mm mouthpiece, but could never get it to drone. Then a couple of weeks ago we moved from the Winter Palace to the dacha - a floating home in a quiet marina on a...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: When can one rename a tune?

That's interesting. Cool interesting, not icky interesting. Kind of Spanish/Moorish/Yiddish/Country. To my disorganized ears anyway. I like it.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin + fiddle = ???

He was way to animated and physically expressive to sit placidly in a stodgy old orchestra and play. :)
  15. Replies
    Views

Mandolin + fiddle = ???

Last night we saw Front Country, a progressive bluegrass band, at a house concert in Portland. It was a very enjoyable evening. The mandolin player had a lot of opportunity to show his stuff, too. ...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Great tenor playing

I couldn't have said it better. Very impressive! I've been playing mandolin for four years now and I've finally got to the point where I've got one song that I'm almost proud of; that I can play...
  17. Thread: Unusual!

by FatBear
    Replies
    Views

Re: Unusual!

OK, so I know what a hob is, and I know what a goblin is and I thought I knew what a hobgoblin was, but how can one be in a hobgoblin? All I can think of is slap him sharply on the back and tell him...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: New Herb Taylor coming next week

Not a tiny tenor guitar, an arch-top soprano guitar.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: How to string Baritone Uke in GDAE

Hi Fox,
    Did you ever try the ones that were recommended by GHS? See post #28 in this thread. I reported the response from that GHS guy, but I'm sorry that I never followed up. I have been very...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Absolutely nothing to do with Tenor guitars!

Geez that's big. What do you do, climb inside with with a chainsaw and an adz and wearing a miner's lamp to hollow it out? :)
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Not a tenor but look at this thing!!

You could tell them it was made from the back leg of a Guernsey cow...
  22. Replies
    Views

I figgered if we kept this going long enough someone who knew what he was talking about would eventually chime in. :)
  23. Replies
    Views

I wrote an email to GHS, telling them that I really liked the one black E string I put on my baritone ukulele and asking if they had other similar strings for G,D and A. I'm going to excerpt part of...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Oh Brother . . .

O Brother is one of the few movies that I own. It is excellent on many levels. And that is part of the problem when trying to analyze it as a vehicle for bluegrass or for delta blues or for...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Dubova Tenor Banjo (sitka spruce face)

Sounds and looks are both nice and unique. You sure did capture the feeling of a "burnt snag" - in a good way!
Page 1 of 2 1 2