Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

10-year mandolin anniversary

I've been playing mandolin for 10 years! Woo-hoo! :mandosmiley:

If you're interested and have time, please visit my blog post to mark the occasion:...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: LH Position question

Out of order, because this is the order in which I would deal with these separate questions.

3. I use ultra-light strings, starting with the gauges used in the GHS A240 Ultra Light set. Some...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Books...and Specifically, Intermediate Books???

You will become a better mandolinist if you complete the Horne book. But, for me, it covers too much material in too little depth. For example, there are two cross picking exercises, which are really...
  4. Re: Going to Nashville, looking for a new mandolin...

Um, all this talk about various dodges to avoid state sales tax. Well, not to be a wet blanket or anything, but just because a vendor doesn’t collect sales tax, that doesn’t mean it’s not subject to...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Training the Mind

Practice is different from performance, and jamming is a performance. The skill to nail a phrase or tune on the third pass is distinctly different from nailing it on your only pass. You have to...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Using Wunderlist to organize my practice time

Lists are adequate for learning new skills, but fall short for maintaining the perpetually growing collection of skills you must maintain.

You might want to look at a digital flash card program,...
  7. Replies
    Views

Sharon Gilchrist's Facebook Live video

Sharon Gilchrist's Facebook Live video just completed and now archived by Peghead Nation, made available here. Looks like an image but click it and you have a video. BB Code for anyone that might be...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Wished there was a Mini-Mandolin available!

I can't say this video will wow anyone with my "talent" but here's my strumstick uke tuned in fifths to be a sort of mandolin-like object. Weighs less than a pound if I use a trashbag for a case.

9. Replies
    Views

Re: Wished there was a Mini-Mandolin available!

The other advantage of the small instrument is the non-traditional cases they fit in. Provides a bit of privacy.

There are times when carrying a regular mandolin case is just not right. Besides...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning the fretboard

I posted an ad for free intelligent flashcards for learning the mandolin fretboard in the classifieds:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/105667#105667

No bells and whistles, but it will get the job...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking at a used Kentucky KM-805 for $550

Send a PM to lflngpicker, he just bought one new and is over the moon with it.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning the fretboard

You guys take something that should be simple and try to make it complicated!:disbelief:

Sing the notes (names) of the G major scale while you play it.
    You get:
    your basic theory (what notes...