Search:

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Oregon Mandolin Orchestra concert: Cascadia Mandolin-Guitar Fest

Who: Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    What: Concert at the Cascadia Mandolin-Guitar Festival, opened by an ensemble performance by the festival’s music faculty
    When: 7 p.m. PDT...
  2. Thread: Audiation

by Jim Imhoff
    Replies
    Views

Re: Audiation

Gordon's Audiation as described in the article has been a standard feature in music education for decades. And it is different from just hearing or listening, because it encompasses the qualities and...
  3. Re: Seeking music by S. Seth Weeks & other Black mandolinists

I need to track down the source, but I believe I read in someone's doctoral dissertation that James Reese Europe was the first African American to play Carnegie Hall. Now I also have to go back and...
  4. Thread: Plectrums

by DavidKOS
    Replies
    Views

Re: Plectrums

And I suggest getting Mr. Watters' book:

https://berkleepress.com/strings/exploring-classical-mandolin/

I have used these and other similar picks...i just wound up using the wider sharp...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: The Cadenza, The Crescendo

Bob Margo on the job! My scholarship background is in choral music education, came to mandolins late in life so I'll never really catch up. But I am always impressed with the knowledge I see in the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Mandocello in the 21st Century at CMSA

Once again I will be presenting new music, new ideas, and new composers of music written specifically for the mandocello. The CMSA Convention in the Clouds will be virtual, so you can attend from...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Need help valuing mandolin.

I studied with Walter in early July of 1985. I went with the Bauers' daughter and her children on the 4th to a nearby Park for the Independence Day celebration. I'm sorry, but I don't remember her...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Vega mando type model publication?

The two catalogs mentioned both have a lot of good info, but they don't cover everything Vega. Neither the bowlback nor the CB Vega catalog has a reference to the Vega mando-bass. There were two Vega...
  9. Re: Are you interested in a new method for the mandocello?

Hello Robert,

Thank yo for your feedback.

I want to clarify that I am very grateful for every post that is written here. That helps me very much to give the method a structure that helps as...
  10. Re: Are you interested in a new method for the mandocello?

Personal preference based on a career of music education: use bass clef. There will be resistance to this, but working with orchestral and choral scores I have come to believe that notation carries...
  11. Replies
    Views

Music, Always New :-)

Dear mandolinist friends around the world,

what a year this has been! Looking back at the time that has elapsed since last spring, it may at first seem interminable. To put this ordeal in some...
  12. Newly discovered mandolin and orchestra pieces (Vienna 1820)

Hi all,

I've posted a new blog article about my latest find. I discovered two manuscripts with music for mandolin and orchestra (violin 1, 2, viola, basso, flutes 1&2, horns 1&2) from Ernest...
  13. Replies
    Views

Mandolino toscano

While searching for simple jps images of common partial scrolls with square finials for some correspondence in a different forum, I stumbled across this little article:...
  14. Thread: La Fürstenberg

by Eugene
    Replies
    Views

Re: La Fürstenberg

This decade-plus-old conversation via listserv might be of interest: https://www.mail-archive.com/lute@cs.dartmouth.edu/msg29031.html. In it, I refer to de Murcia's setting for guitar (found in the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: La Fürstenberg

And here is a version on theorbo

https://youtu.be/C8TeZV4ExIs
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Tortoise shell pick alternative

BTW, in America and other free societies, website owner has a right to control content.
  17. Re: Is playing TABS detrimental to really learning?

I find your use of invective (“parochial”, “prejudice”) lacking in imagination and creativity. Also, you read my posts a bit carelessly. I never said the learning TAB detracts from more productive...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello "strum along" chords

August, thanks for that.
    I just put out what works for me, ymmv. I (used to) play in church alot and found that the flat and sharps were the chords I need most frequently. So, this is what I came...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Is playing TABS detrimental to really learning?

I just want to point out that one thing standard notation does very well is to allow a composer to write music and have appropriately trained musicians be able to read the score and make music that...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Speranze Perdute

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tok6c2x0i6s4k17/AABGnLTSpaz4wbMzcPHH7Qj7a?dl=0 (Morelli folder) the new sheet music is attached here as well.

This link takes you to the Morelli folder with 17...
  21. Replies
    Views

Alison Stephens memorial tribute online

Just received from the British BMG Federation Committee:

"Saturday 10th October marks the 10th anniversary of the late, great British mandolin maestra Alison Stephens and you are invited to join...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Italian Bowl back case

You have a pretty valuable instrument. You might consider one of the custom makers like Cedar Creek or Ameritage. Of those two American companies I believe one of a friend of mine ordered a solid...
  23. Replies
    Views

New double concerto for mandolin and mandola

Composition professor Brian St. John has shared to Facebook:

WKU Symphony YouTube channel
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Classical Mandolin Videos

Hi all!

Here is a short video with a Prelude composed by the German born violinist Thomas Baltzar, a musician who, from 1655 till his death in 1663, enjoyed great fame in England. Enjoy the sound...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: To Cafe Members on the US West Coast

If anyone needs to escape to North Carolina let me know, we are closing on a new house soon and will have some extra space.
    Wish that we could send you some of our rain!
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4