Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Bluegrass/celtic band playing Train 45 SUPER FAST

Anything played too fast seems to lose it's soul IMHO.

Dave H
  2. Re: So I tried to improvise for the first time, live in a jam ses

So, for all the "learn the melody" folks.... I'm not disagreeing with you about the importance of learning how to play melodies, but...

You're in a jam, the guy next to you calls a tune you've...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: The Search Continues... Part 2

I believe the elusive tone quality you seek is called pick click on a Florida!
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Bach, where to start?

This minuet is also in the e-book by Alison Stephens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3F_5usJOf0
    Or, if you want to start a little lighter, you may try this one:
  5. Re: Mike Marshall's Sonata and Partitas for Unaccompanied Violin

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was disappointed with the book. First, I don't like that a number of the pieces are only segments of the whole composition. I would have liked to work on a selection...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Fiddle Tune Speed

Personally, (and it is probably a minority opinion), I think there is such a thing as "too fast".

For me, for fiddle tunes and their derivatives, "fast enough" is at a good lively dance speed....
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Play Every Note?

When songs are played (too) fast , they lose musicality, when songs are played stupidly fast , they have no musicality at all, songs often have the cadence of speech , when speech is stupidly fast ,...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: You don't know a fiddle tune until...

Well if we're going this far (see Mandocrucian's and the original by marcja) we need to add the ability to play the tune left handed (or right handed if you already play lefty), the ability to play...
  9. Replies
    Views

Joe Walsh live tonight on Music City Roots

The show just started, and Joe K. Walsh is in the second slot coming up in a few minutes. You can watch the live stream at http://musiccityroots.com/livestream/
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: An open letter to Classifieds users

This is quite representative of many of the longer Cafe threads. OP brings up a subject of interest, then many (admittedly not all) respondents completely ignore the essence of the OP's statement and...
  11. Thread: Speed Exercises

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Re: Speed Exercises

Oh I agree 100%. What I mean is that the amount of effort and capability for a mandolin to play as fast as a fiddle, is more than for the same speed on the fiddle. One can do it, its just a higher...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Speed Exercises

There are 3 strokes to learn, not counting tremolo. Repetive strokes, same string, down stroke followed by upstroke on the string above, and downstroke followed by upstroke on string below. That...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: The search continues...

If this thread is not actually some kind of a put-on -- as some have speculated, because it's so absurd -- then I think it's time for some tough love, here! So here goes. Yes, we all love mandolins...
  14. Replies
    Views

The Emory Lester Set, from the mid 90's

A buddy turned me on to this, just wonderful. When Emory burst on the scene, it was a real treat. This long clip is that sound/feel.

8AbLOed8u2o
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: didn't know Vince Gill played mandolin

I obviously don't check in enough here...you all are actually debating Vince Gill's musicianship? Really?
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: didn't know Vince Gill played mandolin

He plays quite well actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ0Ivih224Y
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: To read or not to read...

Since after all these posts we're collectively repeating ourselves, I'll reiterate that I play with many different musicians with varying backgrounds. Most of them are not classically trained. And...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Does my mandolin need a set-up tweak?

More a tautology than an oxymoron.
  19. Replies
    Views

What is apparent here is that there is a lot of snobbery about. Some people who read notation are wont to putting down those who can't read music, which is unforgivably snobbish.

And most...
  20. Replies
    Views

This is a false dilemma argument. The idea that if you can read notation, then you can't improvise is preposterous. You could just as easily reverse that statement and claim that those who can...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: PayPal fees...

I think you're all missing the point. Paypal deducts the fee from the seller, it won't tack it on to the buyer. I really don't think they care what arrangements are made between the buyer and seller....
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: how long should i practice?

Should we take the OP's energetic responses to the advice so far as indicative of his energy level in practicing?
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: What's the best mandolin chord book?

As stated and since you

- are a pretty good mandolin player, have a band and host an Old Time Jam
    - take lessons from a world-class mandolin player
    - are an experienced music teacher

I would...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Match radius of bridge and fretboard?

My approach:
    I measure the string height at the 12th fret and start from there. First step, adjust the bridge so that the string height is about right, then adjust each string by filing the notches...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Match radius of bridge and fretboard?

after doing what Andy mentions, then one could sand the top of the saddle so the top radius matches as best as possible and the strings are not sitting so deep-you would have to recompensate each...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3