Search:

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Wide Nut Fever?

Well... if it weren't for the YouTube trend, I wouldn't be able to check out his shredding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYnADnzCO80
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Wide Nut Fever?

I have noticed a wide-nut trend, an arm-rest trend, a rubber grommet trend, a tone-rite trend, a tone-guard trend, a super-heavy pick trend and a $1,000 case trend.

Lots of trends! Before you...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Sad news

So sad to hear this news. Jesse was one of my heroes, a friend and mentor. Another giant of the mandolin has left us. Rest in peace, Jesse.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday Scott Tichenor

Happy Birthday, Fearless Leader!

Sharing this, so folks who may not have known will learn Scott is no slouch in the actual mandolin world, as well as the virtual one. :mandosmiley:

PjsVju_SJ1w
  5. Replies
    Views

Standard Notation for Tunes

About a year ago, I found a website called musescore.com. It has thousands - maybe hundreds of thousands, of scores available. I have searched across many genres - Irish, Scottish, bluegrass, French...
  6. Re: Why are old Gibson snakeheads worth so much more?

As journeybear noted I recently acquired a 1924 A-4 snakehead in pristine condition with a Virzi for what that is worth. I paid the retail price because the stars had lined up and I had the funds. It...
  7. Re: Why are old Gibson snakeheads worth so much more?

Andy Statman
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

I learned Farewell Trion from this video. Love James Bryan's fiddling and Carl Jones taught at Monroe Camp this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJQabRQjXEw

zJQabRQjXEw
  9. Replies
    Views

Humbuckers

Greetings..... a quick "heads up"......

Following my retirement last year, I passed on my recipes and winder to Chris at Belvoir Guitars and he is now confident enough to offer them for sale...
  10. Lissa Schneckenburger Coursed on Peghead Nation

I just wanted to give a shout out about a course that I finished on Peghead Nation. The course was "Playing By Ear" with a section on Picking Up Tunes on the Fly. It is taught by the violinist...
  11. Not All Who Wander Are Lost Transcription Book (on my Patreon)

Sorry for the self promotion here but I am pretty excited about this and thought some of you would be as well. I try to keep the self promotion for my Patreon to a bare minimum but sometimes with a...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday David Grisman!

Another trip around the sun for the Dawg! Happy birthday wishes to the man.

13. Replies
    Views

Peter Ostroushko

Hi everyone!

Yesterday was the anniversary of Peter Ostroushko's passing and I just wanted to post today in memory of him and his music. If you are looking for beautiful music to inspire you...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Nice blonde F-4

The F4 is nice, but check out that L5 they just posted!

https://www.retrofret.com/product.asp?ProductID=10230
  15. Re: Contemporary Christian Music with Mandolin Solo???

Contemporary: Crowder's Ain't No Grave and This I Know are ones I'd like to try someday,
    Traditional: O' For A Thousand Tongues, In the Sweet By and By, This is My Father's World, Come Thou Fount...
  16. Re: Replacement humbucker pickup for Eastman El Rey Lollar

Have you had a look under the pickup? ...... If those poles are rod magnets, then you may be able to tweak the balance by adding small Neodymium discs.
    If they have a bar magnet underneath, then...
  17. Replies
    Views

Andy Statman Bought A Loar F5!

A couple of weeks ago Andy Statman made the move and purchased a Lloyd Loar F5 from Larry Wexer (wexerguitars.com) in New York City. His father purchased a Loar for him when he was a teenager, but...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday Scott Tichenor

No, it's Mike Black's birthday today. Luthier extraordinaire, man about town and mandolin maniac.
  19. Right-hand Exercise Based on Snare Drum Rudiments

Just wanted to share a right-hand warmup I’ve been doing, inspired by snare drum rudiments. My favorites are “inside-outs”

The goal is to improve rhythmic accuracy and dynamic control as we move...
  20. Re: Distance between string pairs, the same or wider at bridge?

It's best to make it a little wider at the bridge. This is because the strings move more in the middle of the string than they do at the stopped ends. Since we have less leeway due to ergonomics at...
  21. Re: Help finding Mando Store in Midwest with selection

You're about four hours from Kansas City, right? You might check with Bradford & Co. there and with Mass Street Music in Lawrence.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: A5 build plans

All of the historic Gibson A bodies used the same mold and shape, so any one will do.

Combine that body with a longer F5 neck dimensions and you have it. Beyond that, morph and merge the rest as...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: A5 build plans

The Griffith plan is in the works as we speak....;)

6mm top thickness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF......I know people who bring double bass tops to that...
  24. Replies
    Views

Hagerty #7 fresh off the bench

Hagerty #7

red spruce top
    Back, neck and sides are big leaf maple
    1 1/8 bone nut
    Cumberland Acoustics bridge
    Compound radius fretboard 6.5-12
    Parallel bracing
    Waverly tuners
    James tailpiece
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

Is anyone else working up Norman Blake's New Chance Blues since Dave Benedict put up the tutorial? I tried taking it off the record years ago, but was way too lazy to get very far. David makes it...
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4