Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Loosen a tight tuning machine on an Eastman Oval

If you are planning on lubricating on lubricating, consider the following: The favored lubricant is Tri-Flow, a colloidal teflon based lubricant. ANY lubricant should be used sparingly. Any liquid...
  2. Re: Very pretty tuners had to be put on upside down 😭 (Gibson A)

If the problem is intonation, the tuners don't really have anything to do with that as long as they work at all.
  3. Thread: Epifanes

by sunburst
    Replies
    Views

Re: Epifanes

I'm currently using Epifanes Clear High-Gloss Marine Varnish. They offer another similar varnish with a bit less UV blocker, which would be fine for instruments (which don't spend nearly as much time...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: The Strad/Guarneri Doctor

Nice article, I will also add that John Montgomery, in Raleigh NC, has been maintaining the string instrument collection in the Library of Congress and the Smithsonian for over fifteen years. He has...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: The Strad/Guarneri Doctor

Ah, to me this is the other Becker. There are two Becker families from Chicago and both are remarkable for their skill and influence.

The one I'm familiar with is Carl F. Becker, violin maker...
  6. Replies
    Views

My latest builds

Oud
    https://i.imgur.com/CL5Zulk.jpg

Renaissance lute
    https://i.imgur.com/QeEHc01.jpg

Tenor ukulele
    https://i.imgur.com/xe7ociE.jpg

Jarana Jarocha
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridge stuck to top

Quite accurate, during my career as a professional violin repairman and builder I encountered many times where the bridges of violins, violas and cellos were stuck to the top. A gentle tap freed them...
  8. Re: Why not a domestic, hand built instrument instead?

Priorities.
    I remember well, a mandolin player friend said: "I'd like to have one of your mandolins but I can't afford one", just before driving off in his 4-door American made pickup truck to go...
  9. Replies
    Views

Notes from the Condino vault

I've got a huge amount of notes & blueprints that I have made over the last four+ decades of building instruments, in addition to several commercially available blueprints. I've been looking into the...
  10. Replies
    Views

Carolina Quartet & Persimmon fittings

One of my students, Zach Dease, and I received a generous Folklife grant from the North Carolina Arts Council to build a matched quartet of our choice from all North Carolina woods. This is my second...
  11. Replies
    Views

A beautiful film

Apologies if it's been posted previously.

https://youtu.be/IYcvfqzhxV4
  12. Re: Bondhus Screw Grab for stripped screw heads

Bondhus makes good stuff. They wouldn't sell a gimmick or garbage. Interesting product. I suspect it's primarily for socket-head screws, which is their primary product line. It should work basically...
  13. Bondhus Screw Grab for stripped screw heads

I bought this product a year or so ago, and was disappointed that it didn't work for removing worn pickguard screws on a vintage guitar I was working on. Keep in mind, they were completely rounded...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: The Australian Mandolin Quartet

The two mandolins for the quartet strung up today. A bit exciting! The mandola and the mandocello will get done next week. They sound quite similar, but with subtle differences. So far, doing what...
  15. A new Stromberg-Voisinet inspired mandolin

A post about a 1920s Stromberg-Voisinet mandolin a few weeks back reminded me that I had traced the body and head outline when I did a bit of work on one a few years ago. So here is perhaps the first...
  16. Thread: H5 mandola

by Shawn4390
    Replies
    Views

H5 mandola

I recently bought the Siminoff H5 mandola plans. I hope to get started soon and was wondering if anyone has experience building from those plans. I’m wondering if the graduations are a little on the...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Interesting crack on shopgoodwill?

Can't tell without the instrument in-hand.
    Some of it depends on whether or not the crack goes through the neck block, and whether the cracks will close.
    Cross grain fractures must be reinforced....
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: tenor guitar

If the OP was looking for a custom tenor guitar build he could have been a lot more clear. He gave zero info to his query. Why even ask a question like that? :confused:
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: 1996 Gibson F9 worth saving?

Is it me, or is that a BIG truss rod pocket; 'looks like you could get a sparkplug wrench in that hole....hence the break location.....

If it was your great granddaddy's mandolin or another with...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Martin D-18 Bridge plate issue

That is the original Indian rosewood bridgeplate, which is 3 1/4" wide. Those began in 1969 on dreadnoughts. Indian rosewood turns out to be a poor choice for bridgeplates. Chips and cracks between...
  21. Thread: Gal

by Marty Jacobson
    Replies
    Views

Re: Gal

Turquoise is a lot harder than shell. When I've used real stone (vs reconstituted stone, which is stone dust in a resin binder, so it sands nicely), the best approach I found was actually to build...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Acoustician Thomas D. Rossing passes

I just came across this in passing and thank Dave for posting it. An academic with impeccable credentials, Thomas Rossing's musical acoustics books trended toward more and more generally accessible...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Martin D-18 Bridge plate issue

Some technical information:

Rosewood bridgeplates were factory original equipment from 1968 until 1988 on production line Martins, except for HD-28's and HD-35's.
    Most of the rosewood...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Vacuum clamping

Titebond wood glue works best with a clamping pressure of 100-200PSI (depending on the wood density and porosity).

Any screw-type clamp can exert a force relative to the screw pitch (mechanical...
  25. Thread: Back removal

by rcc56
    Replies
    Views

Re: Back removal

It seems to me that filling the channel and re-installing violin style purfling would be an endless headache and would look like a patch job no matter how much effort you put into it.

Instead, why...
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4