Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: HELP! needed to sell my Eastman MD305 in the UK if Posting

I always use Parcelforce (part of Royal Mail, I think) for posting instruments in the UK, the most reliable and least damage-prone in my experience. Like other UK shippers they won't provide full...
  2. Re: HELP! needed to sell my Eastman MD305 in the UK if Posting

This maybe the picture of the bubble wrap Jill is referring to, I posted this here before. This mandolin was sent to me in a hard case with the mandolin covered in bubble wrap. It was a varnish...
  3. Re: HELP! needed to sell my Eastman MD305 in the UK if Posting

I once received a Gibson Snakehead by courier from a well known UK shop. It was in its original case and that was in a cardboard box. The mandolin itself was wrapped in a T-shirt and it was fine. I...
  4. Re: HELP! needed to sell my Eastman MD305 in the UK if Posting

I've never heard of there being a higher cost to send fragile things, usually it's weight/size of the box/how far it's being shipped and how quick you want it to get there that influence the price....
  5. Re: HELP! needed to sell my Eastman MD305 in the UK if Posting

I would avoid wrapping the mandolin itself in bubble wrap inside the case as I saw a photo recently of a guitar that someone did this with and the plastic of the bubble wrap reacted badly with the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Andy Tobin Custom Large Body Bouzouki

Hi All

I've just finished building an LBB for a customer in Co. Clare. He already has an SBB which he loves, but this commission was to be a special instrument. He wanted to include some woods...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin arm rests

Email works well with Mr. Edwards too. I’ve corresponded with him on multiple occasions, always a great experience. He may also be traveling if you don’t see a quick reply. In any case, the outcome...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: A NMD for me!... soon!

Update: got home... finally!

I couldn't be happier! I am beyond excited about this one ��

I'm very impressed by the careful packing.

I haven't been able to play it yet... eating dinner......
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin arm rests

FYI, it looks like I’m still making McClungs. So far everything I’m making is sold before it can be posted on the website. I’m unable to provide custom stuff at this time. When the weather clears up...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman Octave

Here's a couple:
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Buzzing Tailpiece - Help!

It sounds unlikely. But the armrest, in any case, should be no tighter than necessary. I'd loosen it or remove it completely, then see if that makes a difference.

The advice about the piece of...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick thickness?

Hey Seamus-

Have you tried the Wegen TF100 (1mm)? It's one of my go two's. It's triangular, has holes for grips and is beveled.
  13. NK Forster 10 string guitar bouzouki on the bench

Busy week this week, getting bridges glued on and necks attached. I'm hoping to get a few of these strung up before going away for a few weeks. When I come back they will be ready for a final set up...
  14. New Celtic music podcast: "Music at the Crossroads"

Hi all,

I started a new Celtic music (mostly Irish) podcast last month. I do a live show on Dublin South FM every Tuesday evening at 6pm GMT. The podcasts go up on MixCloud a day or two after.
  15. Re: Who is your favorite Mandolin Player? And which song?

Seamus - A huge % of Irish folks in Manchester. My wife's ancestry is all Irish. My local folk club plays predominantly Irish music,with 'English' tunes thrown in for good measure. Of course,being up...
  16. Re: A tip for improving your playing in one hour...

I have both of Daniel Sellman's Bach for Mandolin books. Lots of enjoyment for a small investment in money and a lot of investment in practicing. Well worth it!
  17. Re: A tip for improving your playing in one hour...

I agree billyk- I think my longest love affair were the cello suites (on gtr)
  18. Re: A tip for improving your playing in one hour...

Seamus:

Bach is pretty much all I'm playing these days. Cello Suite #1 Prelude done, and then several menuets, as well as Violin Partita #1 in E Maj., the Bourre I & II from the 3rd Cello Suites....
  19. Re: A tip for improving your playing in one hour...

This Hal Galper masterclass is just over 20 min..

Hal describes using Bach phrasing and dynamics as a kind of "flat setting" - a "baseline" that represents maximum control (smoothness, evenness,...
  20. Re: A tip for improving your playing in one hour...

I can see that working out that way

I sometimes play to backing tracks that are 15-20 bpm faster than what I'm comfortable playing and when I go back to my regular speed it seems ridiculously...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Celtic/Irish Mandolins

Hathways have a natural finish too, there are a few satisfied customers on here. http://www.paulhathway.com/
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Phil Davidson Mandolins

Here's a lovely example of the sound of a pair of Davidson mandolins.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9l5qchBcRk
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Celtic/Irish Mandolins

Seamus, if you are in North America, take a took at the Red Valley AMW. It was built with ITM in mind. I fell in love with the sound of them and have recently commissioned one. The maker, James,...
  24. Replies
    Views

I'll ring out a bit of praise for Phil's wife who does all the MOP etc. inlay work. Here's Phil's gallery of pics :- http://www.davidsoninstruments.com/examples/

Here's one 'up front',
  25. Replies
    Views

There’s a lot going on under the surface too.
    Instead of a truss rod I had him make the neck with a 3mm carbon fibre seam right through the middle, his preferred solution rather than using rods...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4