Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Vienna Blood by Johann Strauss II

BTW, there is a great "Vienna Blood" PBS series. Three series here seen in America (originally the BBC). It's mostly about a Freudian doctor as I recall. Maybe they named the series after Strauss'...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Etude Op.45 Nr.10 by Franz Wohlfahrt

That is indeed a piece that would be a great learning aid, I reckon, Toomas
  3. Replies
    Views

El Último Café - Tango

This is a twilight tango, composed in the early 60s...the lyrics are sad (tango is a sad feeling that is danced), about a man remembering the last coffee he shared with his love before...
  4. Re: Christmas carol “Der Heiland ist geboren” from Austria

A pleasant seasonal offering here, Toomas. The hybrid picking works so well on those tunes.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Christmas carol from Batschka (Bačka)

Once again your hybrid picking creates a great arrangement, Toomas. Very clean playing and a great seasonal melody. Merry Christmas to you too!
  6. Replies
    Views

Silent Night (for solo mandolin)

I thought I would share my latest Christmas holiday mandolin arrangement. This time we have the classic Austrian carol, Silent Night. Happy Christmas!

https://youtu.be/eLSfA58gcTg
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Etude Op.45 Nr.1 by Franz Wohlfahrt

I have taken the liberty of putting your video up, Toomas, rather than just clicking on the link. Fine playing as always.

dsEDGRacPc4
  8. Replies
    Views

Tesoro Mio ~ The Glo Worm Trio

Robin Rapuzzi's Glo Worms playing Tesoro Mio in Vaughan's Lounge, New Orleans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bTTkVaJFCQ
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Maria, Marì! by Eduardo Di Capua

Comment left over on your YT page, Toomas. Another lovely performance.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Torna a Surriento by Ernesto De Curtis

I heard this so many times when I was in Naples. It is regarded as the local anthem. Now I get homesick every time I hear it. :-)

Lovely playing as usual Toomas.
  11. Replies
    Views

Toomas, it seems you are putting out a video a day, I can't keep up. I especially like the portamento/sliding double stops in this one, difficult and very Italianesque.
  12. Replies
    Views

Beautifully delivered, Toomas. The tune I have always most associated with the mandolin! So evocative.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Waves of the Danube by Ion Ivanovici

It is a waltz that I am very fond of, that I also remember from childhood...it works very well in a string group, and is so famous in these corners of the world, the melody always played with...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Waves of the Danube by Ion Ivanovici

This took me back to a song my late father sang when I was a wee boy, Toomas. Only first two parts were used, if I remember, as verse and chorus. It was in English and began "Oh, how we danced on...
  15. Replies
    Views

El Testament d'Amelia - Catalan song

El Testament d'Amelia by Miguel Llobet...:mandosmiley:

dLjaOajfb3c
  16. Replies
    Views

The Frog Galliard (Dowland)

As a young man, John Dowland worked for the English ambassador in Paris when negotiations were in progress for the marriage of Elizabeth I to the Duke of Anjou and Alençon. He was referred to as "the...
  17. Replies
    Views

La Partida - Venezuelan Waltz

La Partida is a fairly famous Venezuelan waltz. My version is simple, just as I learned it a few years ago and it's how it's played around here..:mandosmiley:

uSPB3_nGnLg

The photos in the...
  18. Replies
    Views

Grimstock

Please check out my rendition of Grimstock, an early 17th century English cittern composition. I employed Renaissance Tunebook by John Holenko as the basis for the performance.
  19. Re: “Lesson on untied half notes and quarter notes” by E-L. Patie

It depends on the type of music you are playing. In klezmer music for example tremlo only works in some places where one would do a trill. Also the long notes can show the beautiful sound of the...
  20. Re: “Lesson on untied half notes and quarter notes” by E-L. Patie

That is kind of my default - to tremolo everything a quarter note or longer.

Often enough my coach will correct me - the piece is not romantic enough for that much tremolo to be appropriate, or...
  21. Replies
    Views

Recuerdos de la Alhambra - Tárrega

This is my version of the beautiful piece by Tárrega. The guitar is thanks to guitar pro...
  22. Re: “2. Récréation. Au clair de la lune”, the tremolo exercise

NIcely done!
  23. Re: “2. Récréation. Au clair de la lune”, the tremolo exercise

This piece took me back to my very young days. After 60+ years I’m not going to claim to remember the tune clearly but I’ll swear that it is something I learned to play back then on a different...
  24. Ballet from Terpsichore (Michael Praetorius)

Michael Praetorius's Terpsichore, a 1612 collection of dance music, is potentially a really rich source for the mandolin. This Ballet is one of the better known pieces (several well-known guitar...
  25. Re: “12. Récréation. Polka” by Ernest-Louis Patierno

Good point, although I thought a new post in any thread got the BOLD highlight; anyway, just keep'em coming. I am already trying Patierno's Meditation and Printemps on my Dusepo liuto.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4