Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Djangolin, D.J. Hodson, Selmer Mandolin

Howdy,

I've got a Hodson. It was my first mandolin and I think it sounds great for blues and folk but I kind of think the same thing about most SelMac guitars perhaps because I never really...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Brought home a Buckeye!

Another quick update: The honeymoon phase with The Buckeye is still going strong. It's got tone that always makes me smile and continues to inspire me to play it every chance I get.

If anyone...
  3. Re: good mando shops in Ohio, West Virginia, and Virginia

https://www.instrumentshopcolumbusoh.com
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolindo by KR Strings

Wahoo, the Octolindo OM has arrived! It's gorgeous!

Yes, as mentioned in the previous thread, without a "Florida" extension, a bracket would most likely be needed to stabilize the pickguard. ...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: In Praise of Matt Flinner's Classes

Matt is one of the best teachers I've studied with period. The amount of material that he provides in class each week is just the right amount of material to study in a week. I've never felt that I...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Octolindo on the way!

I'm guessing that you're referring to the Mandolindo which looks like with some minor retuning would make a nice cavaquinho. The guitar shaped 8 string arch top octave mandolin offered up as an...
  7. Re: Does this guitar speed picking technique work for mando?

I'm not sure that I completely understand the question, but, as a general rule, if you're having trouble getting fiddle tunes up to speed it's most likely an issue with pick direction. The general...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: The "legitimate classical instrument" thing..

Interesting discussion. People just seem to love categorizing things and hate-ahs are always gonna hate.

And in the interest of self awareness, I continue to be surprised of how guilty I am of...
  9. Thread: Don Williams

by Scotter
    Replies
    Views

Re: Don Williams

"I can still hear the soft southern winds in the live oak trees.
    And those Williams boys they still mean a lot to me; Hank and Tennessee.
    I guess we're all gonna be what we're gonna be.
    So what do...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: iReal Pro Charts

In general, this is what I prefer as well. But there is something really compelling about forcing yourself to not stop just as if you were in a live ensemble. Learning how to recover without...
  11. Re: Aaron Weinstein's New Apitius yorkville mandolin

Aaron,

I'm not one to name my instruments but I'd be tempted to call that one "Bucky."
  12. Thread: Jazz Players

by Scotter
    Replies
    Views

Re: Jazz Players

If you click on the link in my last post, you'll see a few charts that I've posted, with permission, from Matt's courses.
  13. Thread: Jazz Players

by Scotter
    Replies
    Views

Re: Jazz Players

Howdy,

I love rcc56's reply.

You should consider taking an on-line swing mandolin class with Matt Flinner who offers them periodically throughout the year. You might even be able to purchase...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave Mandolin Course

I can understand being a little anxious having never taken lessons before but Matt is an excellent teacher and his on-line set up for teaching is comprehensive with chat capability during the weekly...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Gassing for next Mandolin

I agree with pheffernan. Although Breedlove stopped making their American mandolin a few years ago, you can still find them new and unsold in some stores. I saw a new one for sale at the local Sam...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Brought home a Buckeye!

I believe that Pete has an A-style that he is finishing that is available for sale.
  17. Replies
    Views

Since obtaining initial mod approval in the Sandbox Forums for my charts, I've noticed that some of my charts have been since posted into other permanent iReal Pro Forums by the iReal Pro Forum...
  18. Replies
    Views

Yeah, what Drew said. I would never share Matt's written material (and I haven't) without his authorization or post the link to the iReal Pro charts without his endorsement. The majority of the...
  19. Replies
    Views

iReal Pro Charts

Hola Y'all-amos,

I don't post as much as I would like to on the MandoCafe but I thought I'd at least post a link to some iReal Pro Charts that I've posted over on the iReal Pro Forums. I've...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Stew-mac mini guitar kits on sale

Yeah, no. Not yet. Work has been crazy and I've got too much else going on right now. At this point, it's looking like I might get started on this project around October if I'm lucky. I'm still...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Robert Johnson (no mando)

Wow, I'm just getting around to discovering this thread and I'm surprised at how little interest it seems to have here. A new photo of RJ! This reminds me a bit of when John Tefteller found that...
  22. Re: Article: Introducing David Grisman's Mandolin Workshop Books

Well, that's a relief! But, now I kinda want a Kentucky Dawg model (I love my Buckeye F5 though!) for Dawg Tricks. Btw, the "Grateful Dawg" documentary is currently free on Amazon Prime.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Pete Hart, Buckeye Mandolins

Howdy,

I just sent Pete a text message and am waiting for his reply.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: One Mandolin - forever...

I commissioned my Hodson Djangolin in 2001 back when I used to post here on Mandocafe more than I do now. I still have it but really only used it sparingly after the first few years of ownership. ...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Sierra Hull tour

I was having lunch with Sierra at Fur Peace Ranch when she glanced at her phone and said, "Hey, you live in San Diego. Ever heard of a venue called Art Power?" I sheepishly shook my head no. ...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3