Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Mandolin player wanted for established band

With the sparse information from a first time poster, the Cafe community can’t tell this solicitation from spam. Shutting this down for the protection of its members.
  2. Replies
    Views

Doyle Lawson

This happened last night at the Station Inn:

https://youtu.be/11Bz17d2SU8

I believe this is the mandolin presented to Doyle:...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Miller Brothers Bluegrass

[QUOTE=Jimmy Kittle;1830256]Went to Michigan for my step dad to accept the award for the hall of honor, I saw your name on the big plaque....
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Where are the ' Big guys ' ?

And let's not forget that John Hamlett (Sunburst) is on here all the time offering invaluable building advice, Graham McDonald likewise frequently checks in, and Mike Black is here now and again. ...
  5. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

:popcorn:

Steve
  6. Smith Creek F-5, H-5 and A-5 Plans/Drawings

If anyone is looking for a set of plans to build with or add to their collection feel free to download these.

F-5 Plans were drawn from studying/measuring 9 Loar mandolins over the years. Mainly...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: F5 neck heel question

Jimmy, I remember those necks showing up on Ebay. I always thought the joint extension looks odd on those. Nice build/tribute for your late son.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Soundboard tuning and tone bars/bracing

OK, the video.
    In my early mandolins, I was using Roger Siminoff's book as a guide (much like the majority of builders these days). Like many others, I labored and agonized over the whole plate...
  9. Replies
    Views

Great band name!

I’m calling first dibs on this one...
    “Slim Brisket and the Smokey Mountain Cookers”! Now that’s a seriously funny Bluegrass band name! I might have to steal it!.
    “We only play music from the WSM...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Larry Rice's Mando

Hello all. I know this is an old thread, but to anyone that is still wondering, there IS a "Larry Rice" mandolin. I purchased it several years ago from a friend of the Rice family through Mandolin...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Will this cedar work for tops?

It’s yellow cedar, probably cracked halfway towards the centre. This was used on the west coast for carving totem poles. It is softer than red cedar.
  12. Replies
    Views

My Silverangel has braces from an old cedar telegraph pole...the smell makes that my favorite mandolin case to open up :)

Hope it turns out to be good for you!
  13. Replies
    Views

One of my nephews milled some poles like them. Made a very large, beautiful, trestle table out of them.
  14. Replies
    Views

Had a friend/customer bring me a power pole he replaced while working for a local power company.. Hs said poles used back in the 20s weren't treated.. He had them milled into 1 1/2inch slabs and was...
  15. Replies
    Views

Northfield Airloom Recurve review

I picked up a new travel case for my Derrington today at the Northfield shop in Marshal Michigan. It is the new Airloom Recurve in Slate Grey. Adrain and Derek are awesome, this case is very well...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: A list for first time builders

My Dad used to label scraps of wood “TOOL”! Most of the time it was only for the duration of the project at hand but, I have moved three times and he’s been gone over 20 years, I just found one in...
  17. Replies
    Views

A couple of other things forgotten,
    1-A “moaning chair” (anyone who has read “Boatbuilding” by Howard I. Chappelle knows), some kind of seat (even an overturned bucket) that gives full view of the...
  18. Replies
    Views

Always sweep the floor before you start cutting inlays.
  19. Replies
    Views

Understand that mistakes are an inevitability. The art of luthiery is learning how to deal with those mistakes. Take your time and enjoy the learning process.
  20. Replies
    Views

Budget a ton of money for tools you didn't even think you'd need.

When you have enough clamps, buy more.
  21. Replies
    Views

Andrew -- YES ! ! !

When you do remember to not forget something, write a note to your future-self and stick it on the part.

I now leave myself notes on backs to remember to glue on the...
  22. Replies
    Views

It helps if your mechanical pencils are bright orange. I had two orange ones for several uears that I loved, but eventually I lost them...

This is a great list. I will say that you don’t have to...
  23. Replies
    Views

Marital capital is best spent on a payment plan, spread out the work and tool acquisitions accordingly.
  24. Replies
    Views

Just because they call it "Finishing" doesn't mean you are even close to being finished.
  25. Replies
    Views

I, too, waste a lot of time walking between my work area and the room where the pencils are!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4