Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: In The Pines

It's a great tune. I'm more familiar with Leadbelly's version, which uses more minor chords and slightly unusual chord progressions. It's dark, and maybe a tad creepy. I really like Doc and Dawg's...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: what would you do

A letter or email, maybe. I had a similar experience with a bike shop and how they badmouthed my road bike. Not rude, just telling me every time I brought my bike there what a POS it was. I just...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: I had to share this with you!!

Congratulations!
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: In Praise of Mediocrity (?)

I have been payed a tad for a few gigs I've done, but the groupies so far have eluded me. Oh well.

I really like the column. And I totally agree. I practice my music so I can have more fun with...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Great band name!

A zydeco/Cajun band out of Galena, Illinois, now defunct: "We're Late and Smell Like Beer".
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Problems we like to have ...

Welp:
    -Having a variety of mando-family instruments (m'cello, bouzouki, tenor banjo, mando, electric slide mando) and having difficulty deciding which one to play.
    -Deciding which instrument to...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Remembrance by A D Boden

That's very pretty, Andy!
  8. Replies
    Views

Poll: Re: Poll: August Jazz tune of the month

All three great tunes. I was tempted to go with "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" because I know it to sing and accompany myself on ukulele (emulating George Harrison). But I dig the bluesy...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Who goes on Mandolin Mount Rushmore?

Yup. I would amend that a bit, though, to add Howard Armstrong. Yank Rachell and Rich Del Grosso--Yes!
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Is Ragtime Oldtime?

Yes, I think so. Some of the syncopation comes through on a few tunes, especially on tunes that were commonly played by black strings bands and are in the old-time book. One I like is "Colored...
  11. Re: Picaflor from Five Songs of the Cuzco Indians by Mark Davis

Very pretty!
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Buzzing strings on my MandoCello

That's likely.

Yea, I know what you mean, thecelloronin. But I like Wish--cool guy, fun to talk with--and I do like my m'cello. It sounds really nice. I have a friend who's a really good...
  13. Re: Your thoughts and opinion on my first track..

Tasty! I like your lead/soloing. You say what you need to say without cluttering it up with all sorts of unnecessary notes. I'm told Miles Davis said that knowing what not to play is more...
  14. Replies
    Views

Flying V Electric Scrapolin

164654 My just-finished Flying V (Solid Body) Electric Scrapolin. Glued-together wood scraps, neck from an old mando (painted by my daughter), tuners cobbled together from Lord knows what,...
  15. Replies
    Views

Poll: Re: Poll: February Jazz tune of the month

All great tunes. And I LOVE me some Joe Pass--arguably the best chord melody jazz guitarist ever. But "On Green Dolphin Street" is my favorite of the three. My favorite is Miles Davis's recording...
  16. Re: Czech Minuet for Mandola, Bouzouki, Tenor Guitar and Mandolin

Very nice--Sweet!
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: What Irish tunes should I learn?

Thanks so much for the great advice. I will do that: record the first session I go to then keep learning.

I have a copy of The Fiddler's Fakebook, and I was culling it for Celtic tunes and...
  18. I got a really cool compliment yesterday!

I got a really cool compliment yesterday!

Story:
    So, I'm the pastor of a small yet awesome church in Illinois. We had our church Christmas program yesterday. I played along with the...
  19. Re: Group in Search of a Name...Any Ideas/Suggestions Appreciated

Frets and Keys? Nah.

Harmonium.

Sunrise.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Fields of Gold (for plucked trio)

That's beautiful!
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: I'm REALLY excited!

It's here! It arrived Wednesday. I was out of town for work until last (Thursday) night. I opened the box, tuned it up and started getting acquainted with it last night. BIG, deep sound,...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: I'm REALLY excited!

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll bear them in mind.

Wish offered to build another with 10 strings; I decided to go with the 8-string. I appreciate your concerns also, Explorer.

The instrument...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Canto de Ossanha

I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRyp32bKhqY

A-Flippin'-Mazing! WOW!!

Hamilton de Holanda. He plays it on bandolin, and absolutely kills it.

Mandolin? Couldn't find...
  24. Re: E. Barbella (c. 1760): Sonata a due mandolini e basso (Gimo 1

VERY nice. +1 on the mandocello line.
  25. Re: Pavan - La morte de la ragione (Anon, c. 1520s)

Very nice!
Page 1 of 2 1 2