Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Bert Deivert's international recording

Thanks for sharing it Ron. That was recorded with my new custom built David Sefl 2 point mandolin. Jesper and the gang recorded in Denmark and I did my part in Sweden. More coming from us! BUT......
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Early Blues Mandolin

When i decided to learn how to actually play blues mandolin in 2004 I sat down and listened to Yank Rachell's recordings for 2 years and jammed with them. I also listened to Carl Martin, Johnny...
  3. Replies
    Views

Laidback blues mandolin in Thailand

Here is a video of BABY PLEASE DON'T GO filmed by Cafe member Ron McMillan in Chiang Mai, Thailand in January. Very laidback version that sometimes changed form depending on our mood. I was playing...
  4. Re: Christmas Day mandolin blues in Thailand

Special Agent Blues by Sleepy John Estes. The riff for it evolved from listening to the playing of Son Bonds as the 2nd guitar on the track recorded in 1938. I used ideas from that and came up with a...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: An open letter to Classifieds users

Thank you Scott and Dan and anybody else involved in keeping this forum running! I know that you put in A LOT OF WORK that may not be noticed by some of us, but is appreciated by the majority, for...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Don Young Co-Founder of National Guitars

I am very sorry to read about Don's passing. I play an RM-1 and Don was kind enough some years ago to support my music by giving me a hotplate pickup for the mandolin at dealer cost. Though we never...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Stick on pickup adhesive residue

I have a varnish finish Giacomel mandolin and am worried about using something on that finish. I have an LR BAGGS RADIUS, but I bought it used with no putty included. Any ideas about this? Not sure...
  8. Bert Deivert & Copperhead Run - Poor Black Mattie video

This is a performance at our CD release concert on June 2nd, just a few days ago. The cd is BLOOD IN MY EYES FOR YOU - Bert Deivert & Copperhead Run
    Lots of juke joint vibe with blues mandolin and...
  9. Replies
    Views

New Blues Mandolin album - preview track

Hi Folks,

We will be releasing my twelfth album and this the fourth one featuring blues mandolin, this time as a band effort, with Bert Deivert & Copperhead Run. "Blood in My Eyes for You". You...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin blues/artists

If you want to listen on Soundcloud, I have two of my blues mandolin albums up, Takin' Sam's Advice and Kid Man Blues, and a couple of tracks from the new one, Blood in My Eyes for You. IF you want...
  11. Re: Who plays the National RM1 as a primary mandolin

Yes the D'Addario Flatwounds EFW74 or something like that are on the Stanley and it is lent to a friend who loves playing it, so he can warm it up for awhile, since I am breaking in my new Giacomel....
  12. Re: Who plays the National RM1 as a primary mandolin

@ Sam, I bought the strings from Strings and Beyond, but because the dollar is strong now, it is cheaper to buy them in Germany online from Thomann. I am testing the D'Addario Flatwounds for mandolin...
  13. Re: Who plays the National RM1 as a primary mandolin

Me and Steve James with our RM-1s at the Blues festival in Rovaniemi, Finland in the Fall of 2014.
  14. Re: Who plays the National RM1 as a primary mandolin

Hi Sam,
    as Ron mentioned, I play my RM-1 with a hotplate pickup as my main gigging and recording instrument. I got the hotplate pickup some years ago after Rich DelGrosso told me he had one. I...
  15. Replies
    Views

My two main mandolin influences are Yank Rachell and Carl Martin. They were both good guitarists as well and had some wonderful signature licks! I recorded both State Street Pimp and Kid Man Blues...
  16. Replies
    Views

Watch Yank himself play! My favorite video on YouTube!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd-Kwg7RF0c
  17. Replies
    Views

Hi zedmando, check out the Blues Mando social group here on the cafe. http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=99 There are lots of video links there too! Here is a Sleepy John tune that...
  18. Australian Blues mandolin- National RM-1 Bert Deivert

Playing my National RM-1 with a hotplate pickup in an electric blues band jam at the Motor City Music Festival in Geelong, Australia. This was in March 2014 on a recent tour. My bandmates are...
  19. Re: Blues Mandolin - Rich Del Grosso & Bert Deivert gigging in Sw

There are two videos up that Rich posted now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3VCcNUwu8M&feature=c4-overview&list=UUZLAiZBEjuucArF_zf27mKA

20. Blues Mandolin - Rich Del Grosso & Bert Deivert gigging in Sweden

I just wanted to mention for our Scandinavian members or people visiting there, that Rich Del Grosso will be gigging with me and my band at the Åmål Blues Festival, in Åmål, Sweden on July 11th,...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Swedish octave mandolin?

Stefan Sobell's instruments did fill a need in the mandolin family for use in Scots and Irish music at the time. As far as Swedish music, there wasn't much accompaniment at the time. The fiddle...