Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Suggestions for a wedding march

"Hmm, you must not have met Bridezilla yet"
    Indeed, I have not. The bride and groom are a very nice young couple.

Post # 24 lists the choices that I sent to the bride.
    I met them after church...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Under-rated mandolin players

Despite all the love expressed on the MC, I've always thought that Andy Statman deserves more recognition than he gets. No doubt his limited touring doesn't help, or his mastery of two very different...
  3. Thread: Tab vs. Dots

by Ranald
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tab vs. Dots

No, but there are plenty of situations in which people attempt to learn music without spending more than minimal time listening. I've heard many people who thought they'd learned, say, Cape Breton or...
  4. Replies
    Views

Ceccherini - desperately seeking

Part 1
    I recently got my first bowlback and really enjoy its sound and knowing I’m playing a 100 year old luthier-made instrument. In addition I bought the excellent August Watters book which has...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowlbacks of Note

Thanks, Bill.

"Il maestro Nicola Didone, inventore del nuoto mandolino a 5 corde..."

This ought to turn over an apple cart or two in an ongoing discussion elsewhere at the MC on the "true...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Under-rated mandolin players

There are at least hundreds of great players you've never heard of who can't travel because of their jobs or family, who play in local bands and local clubs, steadily honing their skills and their...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowlbacks of Note

OK, just checked the Didone thread and while it doesn't mention the Naples Labor Exhibition on the label itself, it was reported in an Italian newspaper of the time:

SCUOLA DI MANDOLiNO
    Il...
  8. Re: How would I play this? (Would I play this as written?)

Frank, I have this pdf, apparently from the first edition, not very good quality but it could help you...

9. Thread: Looper tips?

by tmsweeney
    Replies
    Views

Re: Looper tips?

even with advanced technology its still tricky to do live, having a "formula" for making the loop helps. Most "live" loopers operate by foot switch so there's that too.

I have the RC 300 which is...
  10. Replies
    Views

Okay, this morning, I took the lid off the RC1 pedal, as if I was replacing the battery. The actual switch is behind the pedal's spring. I removed the spring and "lid."
    As before, I activate the...
  11. Thread: Looper tips?

by dylandekk
    Replies
    Views

I use a BOSS RC-505 when I'm not just using Ableton. Most loopers have the ability to record instantly, or on a delay that starts on the next measure. The second option is ideal because you can lead...
  12. Replies
    Views

After trying half a dozen loopers I'm using the Boss RC5. The drum tracks help to get the loop timing perfect. Drum tracks are easily edited for time signature.
  13. Replies
    Views

I've got a BOSS rc1 model. I am using and extra delete/stop pedal. Otherwise it berps before it deletes. I've had poor luck using it in the passed, so I put it on the table, above my keyboard. I...
  14. Thread: Looper tips?

by tmsweeney
    Replies
    Views

#1 you have to make sure your timing is "even" so if possible use the tap feature most loop pedals have that, even just to work yourself up to smoother playing.

#2 most loop pedals have "auto"...
  15. Replies
    Views

Looper tips?

How do i get the perfect loop? I try and try and it's really obvious even when it's off by a sliver. Sure, I could slow things down but, it's so slow, it useless. I could half time it, but the chord...
  16. Replies
    Views

OK, dots means standard notation. It's a really good thing to learn to read standard notation. I learned it when I took classical guitar lessons. There are several major advantages over tablature. It...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Vinaccia Mandolin for auction.

Around 1 large in $US.

Not a steal by any means, nor a fleecing.

I've got a similar age / model Vinaccia (structurally sound but in less well cosmetic shape than this) and it's a great...
  18. Thread: Tab vs. Dots

by Ranald
    Replies
    Views

I'm no expert, but I've used the three methods (notation, tablature, and ear learning) and found that each has advantages. You're not dealing with an"either/or" situation.

Notation: When you can...
  19. Thread: Tab vs. Dots

by jmagill
    Replies
    Views

– Learning a tune by hearing it
    – Learning a tune by reading notation
    – Learning a tune by reading tab

Depending on your preference, one of these methods may work better for you than the others....
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Interesting "mandolino" by DW Snyder

I was thinking something similar, but the other way around - that it's a prop, more for looking OK than functioning, per se. Such a short neck, only ten frets, with that decorative join. When you got...
  21. Replies
    Views

I agree with Walter. Learn to read standard notation and there is a whole world full of music out there waiting for you. That being said, being able to pick up a new tune at a jam by ear is...
  22. Replies
    Views

I learned to read tab when I started to play mandolin about 10 years ago, but I learned to read notation when I was 8, which is a very long time ago. And I've learned tunes by ear as well. But now...
  23. Replies
    Views

This discussion is indeed time-worn, but there are always some interesting new views - particularly the comparisons to language in this thread.

If you want to learn by ear to speak Italian, for...
  24. Replies
    Views

Thank you for the great link to the Atlas of Plucked instruments! According to that, Brescian and Cremona seem to be defined as both having 4 strings, but this fingerboard is not flush with the...
  25. Replies
    Views

Is it a Brescian mandolin?
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4