Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Don Stiernberg and Andy Brown YouTube stream

This week, June 17th.

https://youtu.be/WGQ3It-i7jM

https://youtu.be/4oK0k1lQwyI
  2. Re: Looking for opinions on the best Asian made Mandolin for $250

DigitalSky, I have to ask you about your forum name. I'm familiar with software by that name.

I found the mandolin after being a guitar player for decades. My advice is to get your hands on...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Problems we like to have ...

I own only one of each instrument I play and I suppose, while not a "problem", I do have some regret about the way I tend to binge on one instrument for a while and ignore the others. Not enough time...
  4. Re: Playing classical mandolin on a modern instrument

Scale length is a difference, which would contribute to a difference in sound and, minimally, playability for some hands. But neither of those things make a Gibson-style arch top mandolin unsuitable...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Am I crazy?!?

Several times, yes. Sometimes things look good on a spec sheet but just fall short in the real world. Sometimes the most popular thing leaves you cold. A million people can be wrong!

Well,...
  6. Re: Collings MT Gloss Top, Top Binding and Wide Nut-- Waiting!

Likewise. I think my ears are tuned to the Martin sound, particularly the Martin mahogany warmth. Collings mandolins, however... I have never heard one I thought sounded anything short of excellent.
  7. Re: August Jazz TOM: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

With his permission, I've posted a transcription of Alex's arrangement here.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Finding the groove

Mark, the OP, wrote "I know I tend to rush. I also just feel awkward and not in synch with the music or the instrument".

Metronome and focused practice is the answer. Playing "in the pocket"...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Finding the groove

I understand where you are coming from. 30+ years as a guitarist (and clawhammer banjo player) , I never played an instrument using a flatpicking until I started with the mandolin and it was a big...
  10. Re: What is the Difference between a $6,000 and $3,000 mandolin?

1. The customer is always right!

2. Bling has precisely the same effect on tone as does a scroll and points.

3. Re-read item 1 above.
  11. Re: August Jazz TOM: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Ok, Larry, I'm stealing some of your licks.

I like the rhythmic variety in each of Des and Larry's takes. I found it challenging to not always simply re-use the rhythm of the original melody and...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Black Finished Instruments

Indeed. Garrison Keillor tells a story about a man with a vintage car that looks brand new. To keep it's showroom appearance, he rarely took the car out of the garage and cleaned it meticulously...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Note Manipulation

Vibrato refers to change in pitch. Tremolo is change in volume... or, sustain, in the case of the mandolin I suppose. We execute tremolo with the picking hand (no change in pitch), we execute...
  14. Re: New Collings MT2-V Torrefied with Martin Monel Strings

The forum is set up for SoundCloud streaming. Check out the icon next to the Tab icon.

Nice mandolin! I adore my Collings.
  15. Re: August Jazz TOM: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Ok, following Des' suggesting and jumping into the Deep Blue Sea!

Jazz improvisation is new to me. It's something I have aspired to for years but never found any traction with it until I picked...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: A Style Choice of two

BTW, for our readers at home, the correct answer is Martin.
    8-)
  17. Re: New to swing mandolin, who should I be listening to?

Every video that Aaron generously shares with us is a master class.
  18. Re: New to swing mandolin, who should I be listening to?

While I understand David's intent, it must be observed that to learn how to approach those rich chords with only four strings, listening to mandolin players is essential. Don Stiernberg is a master...
  19. Re: New to swing mandolin, who should I be listening to?

I'll be the first to reply but likely not the only person to suggest Don Stiernberg.
  20. Re: August Jazz TOM: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

My YouTube playlist for this tune includes a video with Don.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy1W4cBgg4p1vTr3bjyPxRtMhpfUfyxb_
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar Center yesterday, 2 Gibsons!

That's part of it for sure, but I would also say that I believe that we play tone into our instruments. We repeat the mechanics that help produce the tone we like and I think the instrument gets used...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar Center yesterday, 2 Gibsons!

Acoustic instruments need to be played. The worn, well used one will often sound better than the one which is in "mint condition". In my experience. Likewise, I have yet to find a new mandolin in any...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Addario Monel Strings !

I received a set last week from JustStrings and put them on my MTO. They produced a softer sound while offering a rougher feel than my favorite EXP74CM set. I thought the G string lacked the clarity...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Slower is faster

I have found that practicing a phrase of music, or a lick, extremely s l o w l y produces results that are nothing short of miraculous. Whether it's left hand fingering or right hand pick...
  25. Re: July Jazz tune of the month: Yardbird Suite

Sounding good, gents!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4