Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Where to buy a good quality mandolin in the UK

I don't think anyone would regret going to Hobgoblins in London. You can obviously check out what they have in various stores online, but its like walking in to a magic den of instruments. I remember...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Paul Hathway Octave Mandolin

I had a very happy time a few years ago at Hobgobins in London. A whole pile of newly-delivered hand-made Hathway instruments were on the sofa at the back, smelling wonderful. I played a few...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

The Irish Mandolin comes up regularly on my Youtube feed. Although I can't remember how that started, it's certainly an awesome resourse, which I only very occassionally use, but which could easily...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: St. Anne’s Reel

Beautiful sound and nice playing. Just not "St Annes Reel" as I know it, but names are flexible...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Do people ever change their strings?

If you're guitar player who regularly changes strings, then you know the answer really. I don't think guitar players are really any different. (It''s less stressful changing guitar strings, by the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish Bouzouki as first stringed instrument?

In my part of the (German) Irish music world there are plenty of guitarists but very few bouzouki players when it comes to accompaniment. From a chordal point of view, the guitar gives a fine sound,...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: New mandolin and selfmade accessories

Nice strap, and it looks good on the hanger. I think the inevitable comment that's going to come is: when are you going to 3D print a whole mandolin, and will it be a step up from the Loar...?
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Terrified of changing strings

Do you think they just break because we're terrified they will? Suppose we had more faith....?
  9. A Rogue F Style gets the Gerry Rosa treatment - video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dObke38P2Uc&feature=em-uploademail

I know people sometimes mention Rogues as a cheap-end option, that can still be an acceptable choice. I found this latest Gerry...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor Guitar tuned to GDAE, is it worth it?

I had the Blueridge BR40T, and initially strung it up for GDAE,. It works, but is only satisfactory if you pay attention to your string gauges, and the best man to advise you on that is FOX who liked...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins, Arthritis and Yours Truly

You probably know the natural remedies that are fairly universally accepted as being often helpful, but which due to absence of clinical research are viewed non-commitedly by many doctors. However,...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave Mandolin or Tenor Guitar tuned GDAE?

Might be worth popping over to the Tenor Guitar page of this Cafe - lots of experience there about the best TG types for GDAE tuning. You might get referred to older threads because it's all been...
  13. Re: Learning to play Mandolin - A Beginners Happy Accident

It sounds as though you are a natural!
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin to fiddle redux

Well, I'm glad I don't have to pay out half the cost of my mandolin for a pick! All respect to you for taking on the fiddle at 72. Your brain will be getting younger by the day!
  15. Re: Just add it to your cart......and don't ask questions!!!!!

Just turned off my default one-click function...But I did read that you get a short period of mercy to change your mind - 15 mins. So you could order your dream instrument, dream for 14 minutes,...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I stay tuned up with a missing string?

Ah, you got a bouzouki! It's dangerous thing having multiple instruments - one always wins out. I also have both, and at present the mando is winning, although it's the bouzouki that I take to the...
  17. A trip to Hobgoblin Music, and a new Paul Hathway mandolin.

What a joy today, to go and visit Hobgoblin Music shop in Rathbone Place, London, where all sorts of mandolins are practically falling off the walls. Over from Germany for a short week (where it's...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: What Irish tunes should I learn?

I have recently started playing Irish bouzouki at an Irish session. We are very fortunate in Bonn (Germany) to have a monthly slow session, but it is certainly important to take it seriously and do...
  19. Thread: Old brass capo

by Tim N
    Replies
    Views

Re: Old brass capo

I've got one of those unidentified brass capos from the 60s - it was given to me when I bought a guitar in the 80s in Denmark St at Andy's Guitar Shop. I used it a lot - very reliable, but tends to...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: My Level of Incompetence

So, Procedural memory is What's going on in the background - subconsciously? It's what's responsible for those moments of pleasant surprise when your plateau suddenly turns into a step? Yes, I get...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips for Learning - Beginners

In humility, and realising that not all will agree with me, I'd like to offer my experience as a learner. And I certainly wouldn't dare to contradict any of the wisdom and experience already written!...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips for Learning - Beginners

[QUOTE

Another great resource for getting to grips with playing along with other instruments is the Wellington Sessions website - it has loads of tunes and a function that allows you to slow them...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: To Pinkie or Not Pinkie is my Question

I've read the whole debate, and respect the overwhelming view that the Pinkie is there to be used, with a few caveats. So far, I am a three finger player because when playing melody (which is my main...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Kala, Blueridge, GDAE, and other questions...

If you go for the Kala, tuned CGDA, then you'll use exactly the same chord shapes as for GDAE (which you already know, I guess from mandolin), but A becomes D, whilst D becomes G, and G becomes C....
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Your Opinions on inspiring a new student?

Learning in a vacuum is probably a non-starter for many. I mean, if there is no genuine initial inspiration, born from hearing a sound, a style, and falling in love with it, then the motivation may...
Page 1 of 2 1 2