Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Can you teach musicality?

Congrats on your first post, and welcome to the Cafe!

Musicality is absolutely a teachable skill, but most teachers don't know how to teach it and a great many of them don't posses the skillset...
  2. Re: Article: Nate Lee To Release Wings of a Jetliner in June

Thanks Drew, I'm so glad you're enjoying the music! I didn't know about the Salty Suites cut of "Somewhere Far Away". I'll have to check that out! Have you heard Brad Folk's version? Nick Woods,...
  3. Re: Article: With an All-Star Lineup, Nate Lee Flies High on Wing

Thank you! I'm looking forward to releasing the project!
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: I may need to change my next purchase

I believe so. I remember seeing a Cafe thread a while back where someone was talking about visiting the Ellis/Pava shop.
  5. Replies
    Views

You're welcome, Em Tee! I used a Bluechip TAD-3R 50 in all of the videos.
  6. Replies
    Views

The Carter Vintage Guitars YouTube channel has a lot of videos where you can see different mandolins played by the same player, and in some cases, more than one player.

Here are a few I filmed at...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Pentatonic question

It was fun hanging with you too! I can't wait for Kamp 2019! I'll have my mando along even though I'm officially on the devil's instrument that week.
  8. Replies
    Views

I have two Pava mandolins, an A Player model and an F5 Pro model. Both are outstanding. My Pava F5 #194, A.K.A "Wonderbat" is my favorite mandolin I've ever played, and I've played a lot of really...
  9. Re: Playing mandolin has improved my fiddle playing-ALOT !

Fiddle and mandolin suit each other well. Although there is more that is different than the same, playing both has helped me be better at both. Because of fiddle I learned to play with more sustain...
  10. Thread: Bartlett mic

by Nate Lee
    Replies
    Views

Re: Bartlett mic

I've used the Bartlett on my fiddle quite a bit in the recording studio. We used it along with two other mics and blended the sounds. On my fiddle the Barlett makes a nice warm, clear sound, and the...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: My new Pava F5!

Here's a new Pava Pro F5 I checked out at Carter Vintage Guitars on Sunday. The tone, resonance, and setup are excellent.

https://youtu.be/7TkrM6z3Hn0
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Band Practice Etiquette

Asking for a chart and more time to learn a tune is very reasonable, and any reasonable person should be ok with accommodating that. Does this band have a bandleader, or is it a "democracy" band? In...
  13. Replies
    Views

Thanks DataNick! To me the two mandolins have a different kind of depth. The F has a strong, powerful, plosive depth, but the A has a depth of overtones that is just incredible. I like them both a...
  14. Replies
    Views

Here's an A/B comparison of my Pava A5 (#83, 2014) & Pava F5 (#194, 2016) at the request of Ron McMillan:

https://youtu.be/X_0aiN6RotQ
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Toneguard..WOW!

My McClung armrest does not interfere with the Tone-Gard
  16. Replies
    Views

Thanks! It's getting used to being a mandolin instead of a tree, and I'm getting used to the new mandolin, so what you heard is definitely just the tip of the iceberg!
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice on where to spend time in practice.

I'll admit that I hunker down over my mandolin. I know it's bad for my body, but I can hear my mandolin really well. Lot's of good mandolin players hunker down, and lots of good mandolin players sit...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice on where to spend time in practice.

There's a great book called "The Practice of Practice" by Jonathan Harnum. It is full of great tips and tricks and will help you develop proper practice habits. It's included in my list of...
  19. Re: Name the top three things that have made you a better Mandoli

Great topic! It's hard for me to choose which are the three most important, so I'll just choose three that come to mind.

Mandolin:
    1) The realization that practicing with a metronome is about...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Addario - Seeking Mandolin Beta Testers

I think it's really cool that you're doing that! I saw the sponsored post on Facebook and signed up. I have been using the EXP74CM on both of my Pava mandolins and I really like them. The heavier A...
  21. Replies
    Views

Hi Ron, I can make that happen! I'm headed to Long Island Bluegrass Festival tomorrow to play with the Jim Hurst Trio, but I will try to make a video next week!
  22. Replies
    Views

My new Pava F5!

This is my new Pava F5! I got it last week and I love it. I already owned #83 which is an A model. The two mandolins offer such a great contrast. The A is so sweet, sustainey, and full of overtones....
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Jamming nerves!

There's a great book by Kenny Werner called "Effortless Mastery". If you read it and apply the principles in the book, I think it will help you a great deal. One short piece of advice from the book...
  24. Re: Good Reading Material? Not Instructional/Theory Books

I haven't read the whole thread, so these may be repeats, but here are some books that I've really enjoyed that have made a major impact on my music.

In no particular order:

The Practice of...
  25. Thread: Pava F5!

by Nate Lee
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pava F5!

I know this is an old thread, but I came across it when searching for a thread for someone else and have something to ad. Here's a video I made recently of Pava F #189 that you guys may find...
Page 1 of 2 1 2