Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Thicker primetone picks

Just a heads up for fans of Primetone picks--it looks like they now come in 2.0, 2.5, and 3.0 mm.
  2. Re: Why do mandolin players hunch over their instruments?

I hunch over my mandolin so I don't hear people asking me stupid questions.
  3. Re: Can you sell "Remakes/Copies" on ebay...

It is technically illegal to use a manufacturer's registered trademark without the manufacturer's permission. It is also against eBay rules to misrepresent an item for sale -- saying it's a Gibson...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Can you sell "Remakes/Copies" on ebay...

Basically, NO. But read their guidelines. You can say F-5 copy, but not Gibson F-5 copy -- that type of thing. Certain brands such as Rickenbacker fiercely patrol eBay for copies/fakes/clones and...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Any truth to sanding...?

You can always try the ''Holistic Mandolin Refinery'' method. It's very subtle in it's approach & can yeild excellent results for a good '' chopping '' tone,
  6. Replies
    Views

Finish system is very important, however, none of the mandolins I know of use much of a system. Just stain/sealer/clearish stuff.

On the other hand, tearing off the old finish is good for the...
  7. Replies
    Views

Regarding nitro vs poly finish, I'd also add that a typical poly finish is harder and less brittle than nitro. Hardness of the finish also makes a difference in tone and volume.

This isn't to say...
  8. Replies
    Views

As mentions a couple of times, what would your luthier think of trying a Cumberland bridge if strings do not make a difference. Have you experimented with pics, if not you might try the pic sampler? ...
  9. Replies
    Views

Absolutely everything is a factor in the final tone of an instrument. Even on a Telecaster. Wood species of the body/top/fretboard, finish be it poly/nitro/whatnot, strings, type of glue used,...
  10. Replies
    Views

Nitro vs poly finishes is a frequently debated topic in the electric guitar world. One writer mentioned how even if a "thick" poly finish was choking the tone, it seemed more likely that the belly...
  11. Replies
    Views

I am in the camp that too much emphasis is put on finish. Is it a factor? yes. A main factor? Not so much. Of course a poly finish that looks like it was dipped instead of sprayed is obviously going...
  12. Replies
    Views

If you already love the tone sanding down the finish will alter that. It's 6 of one or half a dozen of the other!
  13. Replies
    Views

Really depends on the thickness of the finish. Woodiness doesn't come from taking the lacquer off. If then woody tone is there you'll hear it.
  14. Replies
    Views

My suggestion is to go through everything else first. Lots of times the instrument is fighting itself in other ways. Finish is down the list quite a bit.
  15. Replies
    Views

Oh yeh, it'll help but if its a vintage piece, I'd take off the back and work the top from the inside.
  16. Replies
    Views

The finish can make a big difference. I've restored a couple of cheap mandolins that seemed to have around a 1mm thick lacquer finish and sanded and refinished them in Tru-Oil. The difference and...
  17. Replies
    Views

What make is the mandolin ?. There have been a few folks who've posted in the ''builder's section'' on here regarding totally stripping the finish of their (usually) mid-priced mandolins, & achieving...
  18. Success!!! Mandovoodoo on a J Bovier F5 Special

Hey all,

I just wanted to give a review of my recent experience with Stephen Perry and his Mandovoodoo and setup services.
    First I will say that Steve and Becky were a joy to communicate with....
  19. Replies
    Views

Alive Inside

There is no mandolin content here, but anyone with an appreciation of the power of music is likely to be touched by this movie. Just watched it on Netflix last night and highly recommend it. Here's a...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: What song is this?

"Tune That Mandolin, Son"
  21. Oh Watch The Stars, Reischman and friends

This was posted on the Jaybirds facebook page. Very nice.

John Reischman, Trisha Gagnon, Eli West, Rachel Capon, Miriam Sonstenes and Trent Freeman. String arrangement by Trent Freeman.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Cumberland acoustic bridge

Hey Chanmandolin, Like Robert said, go ahead and give us a call! I can walk you through the whole thing. Easy-Peasy! If possible, have your mandolin and a measuring device with you. If I can get a...
  23. Replies
    Views

This will absolutely be mandolin specific. Even the same model mandolin will have some variations in neck angle and the arch on the top.

In general, you can order a standard flat, gapped bridge...
  24. Replies
    Views

Give them a call. They are great to work with - (877) 857-4896
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Inlay in Headstock

They are not all created equal.
    I had a Trinity College Bouzouki that had a plastic "inlayed" overlay. I took a hot iron and a sheet of steel and it slipped right off, revealing the plain mahogany...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3