Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Blue Chip meltdown

by CES
    Replies
    Views

Re: Blue Chip meltdown

I may not have even noticed it if I’d just been playing fiddle tunes at home, but one Sunday we played a couple of Rend Collective songs in church on which my role is energetic rhythm. They’re a lot...
  2. Thread: Blue Chip meltdown

by CES
    Replies
    Views

Re: Blue Chip meltdown

I find the Primetones just a tad brighter and they don’t glide across the strings like BC. They grip well, I like the shape, and they’re very good picks, but they’re a different material and wear...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber no longer producing octave Gallatins.

It is a 22" scale.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber no longer producing octave Gallatins.

Eddie Blevins in Blountville, TN, made an f-style octave for me. Looks and sounds great. He's a member of this forum. You might contact him and see what he says.

https://www.ebmworks.com/
  5. Re: Weber no longer producing octave Gallatins.

Yes, I believe they stopped producing these around 2016, which is why I purchased mine right after I heard the news. It is a F-style 20-inch scale and I absolutely love it. As far as why they stopped...
  6. Re: Sierra Hull's version of the "Tennessee Waltz" (lesson and ta

Great song nice job....even though you didn't ask may I offer a few suggestions? These are based on the what I perceive as successful YouTube lesson posters and the huge amount of time I've spent...
  7. Re: Action too high or am I just playing badly?

You can't go wrong letting a good setup person look over your instrument. Looking at how you play and adjusting the instrument to your "technique" is part of a good setup. That needs to be done in...
  8. Re: Action too high or am I just playing badly?

Just as a quick comment, there is a technique called palm muting that I tend to use when playing hard on a guitar or octave mandolin- it helps to control the unwanted string rattle at times, when...
  9. Re: Action too high or am I just playing badly?

A bit larger gauge might help.
    You might check out the octave sets from emando to see how they compare.
    http://emando.com/shop/strings_zouk.htm
    He recommends 46-34-24-13 for a 22"
  10. Re: Action too high or am I just playing badly?

Love the tee shirt. Throwing the disc and playing the mandolin is my retirement plan.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Faded Love - Asking a Favor

I didn't check your double-stops (don't want to wake anyone in my house right now), however I would think that playing every note as a double stop would be overkill especially if you are playing it...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: What is this notation exactly?

Nope, it's not a slide.

It's a hammer-on. You can't play a tune like this at a typical session tempo by sliding into the note. You can do it with hammer-ons and pull-offs because your fingers...
  13. Replies
    Views

As far as I can tell, it's a hammer-on, not a slide in the recording. I think it's a safe assumption, because Irish trad ornaments are almost always played without moving your hand out of first...
  14. Replies
    Views

This is really a great point. Specifically, and in general.

There is a trick to being able to listen to a piece and extract the bare bones tune and separately the ornamentation applied to the...
  15. Replies
    Views

I'd go by what he plays rather than an interpretation of how it is notated.
    Make an mp3 of the track and click to open it in a Windows Media Player window. Right click, go to 'enhancements' and then...
  16. Replies
    Views

Thanks. Yes, I used hammer-on, pull-off, pull-off, pull-off. The notation you're following would seem to indicate that the last not should be picked not a pull-off, but I find it sounds better to...
  17. Replies
    Views

I mentioned in my comment above, "The hammered note is actually on the beat, the grace note lives somewhere in time just ahead of it ... they almost are competing for the same space in time, if that...
  18. Replies
    Views

This is from McGann's octave mandolin book, right? If you have the CD that goes along with it, listen carefully to other tracks like "Copperplate" where he uses that phrasing a lot. As far as I can...
  19. Replies
    Views

Grace notes have been played BEFORE the beat since the Romantic period, in many styles.
  20. Replies
    Views

That sounds right to me. For an Irish tune like this, you want that hammer-on to be fairly quick like this, and start right on the beat, not ahead of it. Ornaments in Irish trad aren't really grace...
  21. Replies
    Views

One thing to remember is the style of the piece - this musical example looks like a folk tune, so the grace note would be played short, maybe even as a cut. This example seems to have tried to write...
  22. Re: What song, Album, Musician changed your perspective on music?

Mine wasn't actually a mandolin album, but Eric Clapton Unplugged and then Nirvana Unplugged were the beginning of my exploration of acoustic music. Lead acoustic guitar wasn't something I thought...
  23. Replies
    Views

Found a great article on double stops

This article really put double stops in a way I can understand them. Hopefully it helps someone else
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Hammer on question...

Glad you have got something going, Dan. Foldedpath notes that for pull-offs you may well not want such a high action, and that's a valid point - though I am not up the neck too far too often! So...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Time to change strings?

If you have relatively easy access to Gryphon, I'd say that should be your first stop. Instrument makers want their stuff to perform and sound good and the instrument's own maker is the best person...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3