Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Article: Listen: Butch Baldassari's 2002 Blue Moon of Kentuck

I was very fortunate to be there that night with my wife and Michael Schroeder. It was magnificent from start to finish.

Butch was an extraordinary guy with fabulous ears and a magic touch.
    Way...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: why no carbon fiber mandolins?

I enjoyed re-reading my sad tale from 2019. Since then, Adam Buchwald has built a number of carbon fiber mandolins based on my work that really make me want one.

Adam is uniquely skilled and it...
  3. Re: MIX Carbon Fiber Mandolin Truss Rod Question

Hi Julie,
    Among the many virtues of carbon fiber is the fact that it does not absorb or shed moisture and is extraordinarily strong and resilient. It is extremely unlikely that the neck has...
  4. Thread: ‘61 em 200

by Peter Mix
    Replies
    Views

‘61 em 200

Try this if the video doesn’t load properly:

CFhRP51KcCw
  5. Replies
    Views

Austin Clark Octave Mandolin

TLv-jflB3bI

Any fingerstyle fans out there? Austin’s OM is a treat to play!

Here’s the link if it doesn’t play: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TLv-jflB3bI
  6. Re: Carbon Fiber mandolin, Adam Buchwald and Circle Strings

Fabricating a carbon fiber mandolin body is a very expensive proposition and all the more so when an arched top and back are involved. Through the 1990’s I went to the NAMM shows expecting to see cf...
  7. Replies
    Views

Yanuziello Electric Mandolin

Joe’s work is wonderful: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Vb9wGR0bs
  8. Thread: Hondo!

by Peter Mix
    Replies
    Views

Hondo!

Here’s a terrific electric F5 from Hondo. History is sketchy and it may have been a NAMM show custom instrument in ‘69 or the early 70’s.

I googled Hondo once and found it quickly under the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Circle Strings new electric mandolin

Adam Buchwald of Circle Strings sent photos to me of his newly completed electric mandolin recently. Today I went to meet it and took a test drive.

Typical of Adam’s work, it is exceptionally...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Paul Newman’s 1961 Gibson EM200 mandolin

Hopefully, you can see the contrast between the original ‘65 saddle and the new brass version. I always thought the originals were brass, but they are in fact stainless steel.
    I don’t know...
  11. Replies
    Views

Oh, almost forgot.....Florentine body points, hence the name.
  12. Replies
    Views

Nope, no tangible evidence. The fellow I acquired it from corresponded with Gleason’s niece (dunno how that came about) who told him of its history as she knew it. I don’t know any particulars, but...
  13. Replies
    Views

Paul Newman’s 1961 Gibson EM200 mandolin

In 1961 during the filming of The Hustler in NYC, Jackie Gleason is said to have bought this black Gibson EM200 Electric Florentine mandolin as a gag for his co-star Paul Newman.

He meant to buy...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Slide on a mandolin?

Over the years I’ve found that the only way I can get the volume and sustain needed for slide (without feedback) is to use a solid body mandolin. Single strings sound like a high-strung guitar, so...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Yanuziello Electric Mandolin

Please check Joe’s site for the best information, of course, but it is a chambered instrument with a top-mounted Fralin/Yanuziello pickup. His work is gorgeous. Check out the Cupcake series.....
  16. Replies
    Views

Yanuziello Electric Mandolin

Here’s a sample of one of Joe Yanuziello’s fantastic mandolins. I was very fortunate to find it as his work just doesn’t come up for sale. I had been playing it for a couple of hours and was...
  17. Replies
    Views

Slide mandolin

Here's a bit of Chuck Sanzone's fabulous e-Mando:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=QBmIIlQvW6U

The body was modeled on a '58 Gibson EM200 and is carved of quilted maple...
  18. Replies
    Views

Sanzone Electrc mandolin

148846Chuck based this wonderful e-mando on a '58 Gibson EM200. Carved-top, flat back quilted maple body with Kent Armstrong pickup.......
  19. Re: Stan Jay, Pioneer of Vintage Instrument Fame Fighting For His

I met Stan by phone in the early 70's when he and Hap were partners. I called him about a 1918 Gibson A1 I had acquired along with the 1918 Gibson catalog that was tucked in the case. I knew a little...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: MIX mandolin reflection

Having spent many years in the production of fine carved mandolins, I am most comfortable with ebony fingerboards. I love how they feel and sound, I know how to deal with them as time goes along and...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: The Sound of the Modern Mandolin

Thank you all for the very kind comments! John Baxter deserves great credit for making these videos possible. We started this project when VHS was the standard of the day, so you know it's been a...
  22. Replies
    Views

Mix F5 in red Kevlar

This red carbon fiber/Kevlar F5 has had the initial coats of pore-filling lacquer applied and now awaits clear coats before set-up. As some of our extremely patient customers can attest, finishing...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Slide mandolin

For what it's worth, I have done a lot of open-tuned playing over the years, but find it limiting on mandolin. Standard mandolin tuning and slide do work very well together though there hurdles. Yes,...
  24. Replies
    Views

I'm running straight into a Fender Pro 900 amp with no effects aside from a little bit of reverb. The only advice I can give is to be very patient and play endlessly. If you are able to boost your...
  25. Replies
    Views

For those who haven't heard Niles play, please check him out! He's brilliant! Being less so, I take a more conventional course and stay in standard tuning. As he correctly points out, you can't slant...
Page 1 of 2 1 2