Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin misunderstanding by young folk

That bridge solo is great. Bassist is killing it too.

Here's another one for OP. To make it even better, he starts out the video by calling an eight-string Harley Benton mandocaster "the world's...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: ID on bowl back please

Mick, you have won the prize for the cryptic label challenge!

3. Replies
    Views

Re: Italian 10 string Mandolin (Didone)

The Naples Exhibition where he won the gold medal could refer to the big Labour Exhibition for the opening of Galleria Umberto 1 in 1890.

4. Replies
    Views

Italian 10 string Mandolin (Didone)

Hi all,

Bought this a few days ago on Ebay, unusual design with its 5 courses. Seems to be a short lived and not sucessful design. The name Nicola Didone is new to me, couldn't find any...
  5. Re: Light strings for Neapolitan bowl-back

Just occured to me that photos are better as a record here than videos which can later disappear.

Here are some pics of it as it is, though I do still need to clean the soundboard.
    I believe...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Light strings for Neapolitan bowl-back

No, I'm not rolling my eyes about your Gibson....but I'd rather play your other mandolins!;) :grin:
  7. Replies
    Views

Fisoma "Consort" strings are good; I' somewhat surprised to see the G string is 0.035, though.

Dogal makes a "Calace" set that's quite nice, and long-lasting. I think the lightweight set is "Dolce...
  8. Replies
    Views

From my experience, pretty much all bowlbacks should be strung with extra-light strings, with 1st string at .009.

I have no problems with the GHS A240 Ultra Light Gauge: L09 (2) -L13 (2) -LB20 (2)...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowl Back Mandolin "TARTAGLIA"

In the "Bowlbacks of Note" thread, Jan. 7, 2014, posting #6216, Jim Garber mentions a Tartaglia:

Default Re: Bowlbacks of Note
    Speaking of Roman instruments... this is a Giulio Tartaglia model...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Old BMG magazines

I just stumbled upon the archives of the Banjo Mandolin and Guitar that folded in the 70s.https://classic-banjo.ning.com/page/bmg-magazines

A treasure house of interesting material - who knew that...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin in bal folk music?

I'd like to add couple of links too:

https://gurdyworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Massif-Central-Pink.pdf

https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin in bal folk music?

As it happens, I've been dipping my toes into the bal folk repertoire over the past few weeks, with the results posted at my Youtube channel and over in the SAW Group on the forum. There's a great...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Music from Central France

Oops I sent the notation-only version,
    well here's La Chavannée, the all-inclusive notation/TAB version,
    bon appétit! :)

14. Replies
    Views

Re: More Gibson Antics

Thanks Doc, for bringing this thread back on topic. The first thing that should have been pointed out is that Gibson has a trademark on the Les Paul body and what they call the "ES" body (the...
  15. Replies
    Views

It’s interesting, isn’t it? At least 10 iconic instruments - Lloyd loars, the l5 the 400, the Les Paul, the 335, the firebird. Let’s not forget p 90s and paf pickups, plus acoustic instrument...
  16. Replies
    Views

Not here to defend Gibson, but in 130 years you're going to have some ups and downs. When you go back through the eons you will see most of our legends with their beloved Gibson F5 in their hands....
  17. Re: What qualities does a Neapolitan mandolin have?

Mike I deeply respect your moderation and personal opinions.:)

I agree about heavy electric basses - I've even had my luthier buddy hollow out the back of my fretless J bass. BTW, it sounds...
  18. Replies
    Views

Oldest L-5! Lloyd Loar Signature!Analysis

This is a fantastic analysis of a recently discovered L-5 which turned out to be the oldest known example! It was signed on February 28th 1923 and was in remarkable shape- just a 1940s tailpiece and...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: A Pair of Ceccherini's

Good new demo of the one that's currently for sale.
    https://youtu.be/mVP-vu6ffRM
  20. Re: Complete Noob - Discovered Grandpa’s bowl back mandolin !

The big issues with your grandpa's mandolin would be condition, particularly neck action.

I'm one of the folks that plays bowlbacks regularly, mostly Italian music, choro, Klezmer, and classical....
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Regal Le Domino Mandolin C.1933

I missed out on owning a Le Domino uke. My step-father owned it and I took the teens Martin uke instead. It was like the dark ones on this site. The original Stewarts.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Doyle Lawson

It's all right here.
  23. Replies
    Views

Finally, a Lyon & Healy Set

It took a good long while and more wheeling and dealing (and spousal apologizing) than I've ever done, but I've managed to put together a full Lyon & Healy Quartet.

All are player grade - the...
  24. Paul Hostetter's website is available ....

I am SO happy to see that Paul Hostetter's website is again available; when I last looked 5 or 6 months ago, it was not. It's a wonderful resource, and he was a frequent poster here.

IIRC, his...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap for bowl back

Frankly you don't need a strap with a bowlback...seriously. You can even stroll without a strap.
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4