Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Tennis elbow in the picking arm - how to avoid it?

I've had physical therapy for this, brought on by a lot of overly enthusiastic mountain (lap) dulcimer playing several years ago. I've seen more than one dulcimer player wearing a support band...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Is my truss rod broken?

I assume it's a single action truss rod. Tightening it will pull the neck back to reduce relief/forward bow. Loosening all the way will result in whatever forward bow was built in, which may be...
  3. Replies
    Views

Thank You Peter Coombe!

I'm refinishing a tenor banjo and have been looking to up my game from wipe-on finishes such as TruOil, but not wanting to make the leap to sprayed finishes. Here on the Café, I came across Peter's...
  4. Re: What are your thoughts on Deering Tenor Banjos

I bought my first tenor banjo, a 17 fret Goodtime, from Bedford Banjo about three years ago. I think I paid $300 for it. It was a great starter after several years of five string. It had heavy...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: My Recent Stradolin Buy

Thanks, all, for your comments. After taking it apart for cleaning and having a better look at the tailpiece, I think I'm going to reinstall it. It's more robust than I thought. I need to put a...
  6. Replies
    Views

My Recent Stradolin Buy

This popped up on Facebook nearby priced at $100, so I had to rescue it. From the little I've learned about Stradolins, it's a very basic model, probably with pressed laminate front and back. ...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Seeking Octave Mandolin Plans and Advice

I'm gearing up to build an octave mandolin from Don Kawalek plans. He sells kits as well, but I like to source my own woods. The plans come with the instructions that would normally go along with...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: High marks for Schaller GrandTunes

Thanks for posting your review. Especially like Pokey.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: The Joy of an OM

Sitting here with a 23" scale Vega banjo on my lap, I think I'd be quite happy with a similar size OM. I jump back and forth with fingerings, but it only takes a few minutes to settle in. So I...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Binding router

Here's what I made up for my modest router table. This is based on ideas from Lynn Dudenbostel. The ledge allows instruments with arched tops and backs to be routed parallel to the rim or sides by...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings MT-O v Gibson A: Any Opinions?

Thank you Charles. I only had access via my phone at the time and it's tedious to provide links that way. I assumed a quick reply was at least somewhat helpful.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Doubt about a banjo for Bluegrass

Perhaps you could consider jumping into Bluegrass with the mandolin before making a major shift in instruments to the five string banjo, finger picks, etc. Tenor banjo for Irish music is a lot of...
  13. Re: Old banjo fretboard question (no mando content)

Six tuners, with one unused, on a five string zither banjo is a common setup.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Snakehead Drawings

I am an absolute beginner at this but check out the build photos on the Crystal Forest site regarding the neck joint. I recently built from his plans and was happy to have just a simple mortise and...
  15. Re: Newbie Builder - Getting started - which books/tutorials

I just recently completed my first mandolin from plans sold by Crystal Forest. It's essentially a repo of Gibson's Army/Navy flattop mandolin. Terry Majewski, owner of Crystal Forest and excellent...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Reamer for Grover Tuner Bushings

Well, IMO, you're exactly right! I went ahead with the tapered reamer and the job is complete.

I did try the file-type countersink idea for getting through the overlay first, and then a drill...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: First Time Binding Questions

If you're referring to cutters for the Dremel, I'm using the one from Stewmac. It turned blue on the tips right away in spite of feeding slowly and taking small cuts. It still cuts fine, though. ...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: First Time Binding Questions

As suggested, I contacted the Siminoff folks through their old website. They no longer sell the Dremel attachment, but they directed me to Grizzly, where they happen to be on sale. Here's a link.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Mid Missouri/Big Muddy Mini Mo.

I recently bought an MM-8 Mini-Mo from Mike. I love playing it, and it's super easy to pack along in the small gig bag he sells for them.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Ring vs Pinky, again?

I'm coming to the world of GDAE by way of tenor banjo after 5 or so years of five-string. Besides banjo, I would like to try the mandolin for ITM, so I'm looking for habit patterns that will serve...