Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Tommy and Sierra

by CarlM
    Replies
    Views

Tommy and Sierra

Tommy seems to be on a mandolinist collaboration thing lately. This is nothing but beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlEbEBId9CQ
  2. Bach: Geduld! Wenn mich falsche Zungen stechen, No.41, BWV 244

This is my arrangement of “Geduld! Wenn mich falsche Zungen stechen”, No.41 from the the St Matthew Passion (“Matthäus-Passion”) (BWV 244) by Johann Sebastian Bach, introduction to the aria:
  3. The sound of a tenor guitar vs a six string

The tenor is the first guitar I was introduced to, because of a friend, but I bought and learned a bit on six string guitars as follow up. They never really took hold of me, and I am selling them...
  4. Re: Today in Mandolin History - August 5, 1890, Lawrence, KS Jour

All hail August 5! If we could go back in time we'd share some music with these folks. Guessing likker may have been involved! This would have occurred less than an mile from Cafe headquarters, maybe...
  5. Bach - Cello Suite No. 5 - Sarabande

I thought that I would give this deceivingly difficult piece another go. The first time I posted it (last September), I wasn't too pleased with the mix. So here we go again! Please enjoy!

6. Replies
    Views

Bach - Cello Suite No. 5 Sarabande

Hey, it's a just few notes here and there, right? Yeah right...This was deceivingly difficult to play for me. A true tongue twister for my fingers! After literally 40+ takes, this is what I got. ...
  7. Prelude #3, Well-Tempered Clavier Book 1, J S Bach (BWV 848)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhr2D6AZSy4
  8. Replies
    Views

Read the CMSA Newsletter

Just received via email, worth sharing for those of you not members, minus a few FAQs at end as it ran long what is allowed here.

At their November meeting, the CMSA board discussed the need to...
  9. Replies
    Views

The end of my playing days.

Hi all - It's not nice to have to post this,but i've been diagnosed with a strong possibility of having lung cancer. As a life long non-smoker,that's pretty ironic.
    It's not 100% certain yet,as i...
  10. Replies
    Views

My take on Bach's G Minor Adagio

Hello! I just posted a new video yesterday playing the Adagio from Bach's G Minor Sonata. I will be trying to post a video every month of a new Bach piece that I've been working on. Enjoy this...
  11. Replies
    Views

The Jethro Burns Lessons online

I don't think this resource has been mentioned here in awhile (could be wrong, but all I found was a post from 2011 when Jim Nikora announced the addition of Mike O'Connell's recordings to the...
  12. Replies
    Views

Original music for SOLO Mandocello

Mandocello fans, here it is!
    A few months ago, I started a quest for solo music composed specifically on the mandocello to present at the CMSA Convention. No transcriptions, no bowed cello suites,...
  13. Experimental mandola with internal horn, neutral tension bridge

I just finished building an experimental mandola.
    I was worried… this whole instrument was an experiment, in two major respects:
    1) I built an exponential horn into the internal body structure...
  14. The Pink Panther - Solo Mandolin Arrangement (Tab)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4YAh1XbDn0

I couldn't get the percussive mutes of the intro in the tab without it looking confusing and messy so I left them out. It shouldn't be too hard to...
  15. Re: IBMA Mandolin Player of the Year Finalists for 2018

For the perennially displeased you can rectify the selection process by paying IBMA's membership fee so you can add your vote. It's selection by members, not an ad hoc committee pondering the ad...
  16. New collection of original mandolin tunes, free download

I've just published my new tunebook, May Frost: 64 Original Mandolin Tunes (with harmony parts and guitar chords) and it's available as a free download from my Mandotopia site.

Here's the link:...
  17. Replies
    Views

Che Apalache

Interesting band from Buenos Aires using bluegrass instruments to play Latin music.

I don't know them but like this video and heard from a Baltimore old time and bluegrass email I subscribe to.
  18. and some of us think 8 strings are a hand full

short history on this man. years ago I was in black mountain, nc. this was long before I ever attempted to make musical notes on anything. black mountain, nc is a mountain top very small town. 2...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandola and standard notation reading

I made a kinda/sorta variant of that for myself, maybe other people will find it useful as well. Printable PDF file, has the usual MandolinCafe black preview but it's a normal file:

The...
  20. New Name and Location for Tejon Street Music

Just a heads up for folks who shop at John and Sean Ramsey’s business in Colorado Springs, CO.

Apparently they’ve changed the name of their store to Avenue Guitars and have moved to Manitou...
  21. Re: Counterfeit D'Addario Strings from Amazon

As Mike said, it is required to get through customs.. These are being shipped to the Amazon warehouse, directly from China. This makes it easy to catch. The bigger problem comes, when there is an...
  22. Replies
    Views

Thank You

Thanks to each and every one of you.
    You made me laugh.
    You made me smile.
    A couple of times you made me cry.
    You guided me.
    You taught me.
    You made me look at life in a different light. ...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Don't Give your Heart to a Rambler

Since he’s not around to defend his actions (or deny them) I don’t see any point in speaking ill of the dead. His old band members and those who knew him cansay what they please, I agree with Allen,...
  24. Girouard mandolins, the 'Cafe, and gratitude...

About two years ago in a fit of downsizing I foolishly sold this unique and wonderful Girouard A5, lacquered redwood over spectacular quilted maple:
    These pieces of playable art come and...
  25. Re: Curious about the Bluegrass mandolin market segment

I enjoy bluegrass but don't play it. I like to play other things. This may be a skill issue but, bluegrass isn't something I'm particularly motivated to play (at the moment).

Jamie
Page 1 of 2 1 2